Notices

Turbo'd Integra build, figured I'd make a manifold that's a little different....will post full build

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Turbo'd Integra build, figured I'd make a manifold that's a little different....will post full build

So, I had a local guy come to me and want to turbo his Integra. Having just completed some mini-me's, I decided to move my jig a bit to improve oil drain height.

The mini-me's really make oil drainage tough, and while my mini-me's were adequate, I wanted something a little more. So I decided to use a Neukin style collector, but use it in a different way.

The Integra itself will roll an SC61 (Rternie...I think this is your turbo...recognize the green tape??), stay LS for now, and will be tuned on E85. Should be a descent build...so more to come.

For now, here's the mani on the jig and some mockup pics with a full SC61 to see drain height and a GT30 turbine housing in other pics. Let me know what you think!! I'll end up pricing these a little over my minime's just because mockup on this mani was actually kind of difficult believe it or not. Tight runners and a small area to make a couple complex but subtle curves was a bit tough. I think I got all the drain height I could though for the mostpart.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow nice mani, I bet thats going to flow great. You think the oil line will have enough fall? Nice welds too, I really like how almost equal the runners are. This mani will for sure but down some nice numbers.

Looks amazing
dk
Old 01-25-2008, 07:49 PM
something different

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Boosted_B_Series)

weird... very cool

inside shot of the collector?
Old 01-25-2008, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i too would like to see an inside shot
Old 01-25-2008, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I saw this manifold in person and it looks sick.Good job man.OMEN!!!!!!!
Old 01-25-2008, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo'd Integra build, figured I'd make a manifold that's a little different....will post full b

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RC000E &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Let me know what you think!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'll tell you what i think....

... i like Good Job.

Update us when your finished
Old 01-25-2008, 11:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (redzcstandardhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by redzcstandardhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">weird... very cool

inside shot of the collector?</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B16A1-EF9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i too would like to see an inside shot</TD></TR></TABLE>

The inside won't disappoint trust me. It's all welded inside and fully blended with the flange. I won't lie, this manifold and collector design revealed some challenges, both with welding inside and not to mention it BARELY fit on that T3 flange. Once I get the runners done and this car comes in I'll post inside shots and shots of the rest of the build.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boosted_B_Series &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow nice mani, I bet thats going to flow great. You think the oil line will have enough fall?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, based on other mani's I've made that had less oil drain height and still no problems, then yeah I definitely think it'll be fine.

You also have to consider two other things:

First, in the pics with the SC61, the center section is rotated so it's making it look a tad lower than it really is if it were even.

Second, this is all on an LS mockup block, so having a vtec head will actually raise the height a little bit more.

If you ran the mani and had a 45 out of the turbo's oil drain I think it'd be cake....I'll confirm further when i do this guys build.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rickcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I saw this manifold in person and it looks sick.Good job man.OMEN!!!!!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Can always count on Rick to help me represent...
Old 01-26-2008, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RC000E)

I forget what company made it, but they used to sell this type of manifold a while ago I'm sure it will surface
Old 01-26-2008, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (integranator)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by integranator &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I forget what company made it, but they used to sell this type of manifold a while ago I'm sure it will surface</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, noone sold this type. The mani your referring to was a Neukin style equal length, but it had much longer runners and was priced several hundred higher than where this is intended to be. That manifold was targeted more as an equivelant to a ramhorn.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Destroying turbo ITR motors in Minneapolis, MN, U.S.A.

LOL @ B18C5 on block stamp.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:06 PM

the oil drain might be an issue.. looks good though
Old 01-26-2008, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmmm, im sure im not the only that will have this idea but a little heat shield and charge piping run in the stock air tubes, and this is the ultimate sleeper setup !!!

i give this mani awesome work !!!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RC000E &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 01-26-2008, 12:39 PM
Man U FTW

That's a good design for a manifold IF you can make the collector properly. Neukin offered a manifold like this, but the price tag was a little high IMO and i think it was only offered in a T4. PM me if you have general idea on price...
Old 01-26-2008, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

where do you plan on running the wastegate?
Old 01-26-2008, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boostincoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostincoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">LOL @ B18C5 on block stamp. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Hahaha...you were the first to notice. I wrote it with soap stone one day, and how about this dude comes over and knows enough to know what a B18C5 is and is like "dude, how much for that block...I'll take it!!". I left it there ever since.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdm_vtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the oil drain might be an issue.. looks good though</TD></TR></TABLE>

This was specifically designed around having no oil drain issue. There is more than adequate height for a 45 out of the turbo. Look at the SC61 pic...plus this is an all LS setup, vtec heads will add even more height.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NeKe1point0 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hmmm, im sure im not the only that will have this idea but a little heat shield and charge piping run in the stock air tubes, and this is the ultimate sleeper setup !!!

i give this mani awesome work !!!

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I actually didn't think of that, but now that you mention it you could be right.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schister66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That's a good design for a manifold IF you can make the collector properly. Neukin offered a manifold like this, but the price tag was a little high IMO and i think it was only offered in a T4. PM me if you have general idea on price...</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's interesting, I didn't know they were only offered in T4. I can honestly see why, because fitment on the T3 was TOUGH. I had to rework the collector jig 3 times and it JUST fits. The collector is nice inside though...I'll post finished pics..you'll see.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92redhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">where do you plan on running the wastegate?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Right out the front like a ramhorn.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo'd Integra build, figured I'd make a manifold that's a little different....will post full b

i no see pics i check again on another computer...
Old 01-26-2008, 06:09 PM
Man U FTW

My only concern with this style on a T3 is that the two end pipes come into the collector at a sharp angle compared to the direction of flow. That could cause some resistance between pulses seeing as the pipes aren't equal length which could potentially slow spool and reduce top end efficiency. I hate to be the nay-sayer, but someone needed to point that out...
Old 01-26-2008, 06:21 PM

Default Re: (Schister66)

I wanted to say that also but i didn't want it to come out like like i was a hater.

Trying to be different is good. Collector angle not optimal. But I'm happy to just see its not another ram.

Modified by Vince64 at 10:01 PM 1/26/2008
Old 01-26-2008, 07:51 PM

Default Re: (Vince64)

I like, looks like it could possibly be ac compatable. PM me when they are available
Old 01-26-2008, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Please don't ruin a great manifold with poor wastegate placement like most others do.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (C M S)

Nuekin mani looks like it goes up then down, where as the OP's is just down into the collecto.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1980817&page=1

Old 01-26-2008, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schister66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My only concern with this style on a T3 is that the two end pipes come into the collector at a sharp angle compared to the direction of flow. That could cause some resistance between pulses seeing as the pipes aren't equal length which could potentially slow spool and reduce top end efficiency. I hate to be the nay-sayer, but someone needed to point that out...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I just really hate when it gets to splitting hairs on these more budget based designs. I feel that if there are those that want equal length and max potential flow, they shouldn't be looking at logs, mini rams, these, or anything else similar. All these compact designs make scavenging and flow sacrifices. The internal pressure that manifolds see on forced induction cars change the dynamics of how these things scavenge and operate.

Will it choke earlier versus other designs, well only a comparison will tell. I can assure you though, everything will be done internally to ensure it'll reach max potential.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by C M S &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I like, looks like it could possibly be ac compatable. PM me when they are available</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes, I believe it can be

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Garcia-Racing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Please don't ruin a great manifold with poor wastegate placement like most others do.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Right out the front where there is minimal runner bias.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DaveF &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nuekin mani looks like it goes up then down, where as the OP's is just down into the collecto.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, I only used this style collector to address the issues I feel like the compact mini ram presents. The mini-rams have a very shortened and hence more inefficient collector in order to gain what little oil drain height they have.

The nuekin mani was marketed more as a higher hp, equal length mani to compete with ramhorns and what not.

The facts are that without flow testing, the losses or gains (over a shortened mini ram collector) are unfounded, and we can only speculate. I'll do my best in the future to maybe do a dyno comparison with a mini ram constructed on the same jig to see what happens. Like I said though, this isnt a peak hp, ultimate setup option, this is a budget oriented, maintain good drain height style mani that can make some power.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Most manifolds designs use the wastegate as a backpressure release rather than a boost regulator. Much harder to control boost. Don't use our Honda as an example though, we are guilty of it, too. Tyring to correct it over the offseason.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:47 PM
Man U FTW

I didn't want it to sound like a hater statement...i like the manifold and think its great that someone else is making one
Old 01-26-2008, 11:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schister66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I didn't want it to sound like a hater statement...i like the manifold and think its great that someone else is making one </TD></TR></TABLE>

I didn't take it as a hater statement. I just think some things get overanalyzed and often taken out of context on Honda-Tech. One guy in the thread makes an opinion based analysis and everyone that reads it will take it as written in stone fact.

I just wanted to keep in perspective what a budget manifold design, in my opinion, is meant to accomplish. When you get into these shorty runner mani's I really quite honestly don't think there'd be much difference, regardless of collector design. These type of mani's just aren't optimal for multiple reasons, they're just good as a quicker spooling, lower power mani on a budget....at least that's how I see it.

Quick Reply: Turbo'd Integra build, figured I'd make a manifold that's a little different....will post full build