Notices

Turbo Traction?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Traction?

Alrighty here I go,

Some of you may know that I plan on turboing my car this year and hoping for some serious numbers like 400whp down the road. I feel one of my biggest challenges after having everything tuned of course will be traction.

I plan on installing solid motor mounts with new wheels and tires. I've read that suspension can make or break you but i'm sticking with stock suspension for now. Anyways I'm looking for a lightweight, wide wheel so I can put the power down. I'm going for a 16 inch wheel and was looking for 7 inch or wider.

I just came across this wheel and am starting to become fond of it. http://www.gruppe-s.com/Advan/advanrg.htm Anyways I guess my question goes to anybody making 300whp+ and how do you keep traction. I was thinking 16x7 would be good or should I go with 16x7.5?

For tires, I like the Falken Azenis. They seem to be popular but something like BFG's seems to be top of the line. So i'm asking you guys for help on which wheel and tire combo will help to serve my power needs.

I'm also wondering what you guys think about traction bars and are they usuable for daily driving, or will the solid motor mounts take care of the wheelhop. Also What width of wheel do you think will suffice. 16x7 7.5 or 8?

Thanks in advance guys!
Old 02-05-2004, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Traction? (VTEC_JUNkie)

I agree about the wheels. I'm quite fond of them too.

As for the tires. I'm running Azenis but they seem to lead to quite a bit of wheel hop so I would pay close attention to suspension. Solid motor mounts, solid suspension bushings, upgraded spring/struts and traction bar should cover all the bases though. I don't have much of problem with those Azenis with all those things in place but with stock everything, it's pretty bad.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:02 AM

Default Re: Turbo Traction? (inline4hatch)

Chics dig smokey burnouts Bald tires are where its at
Old 02-06-2004, 04:20 AM

Default Re: Turbo Traction? (inline4hatch)

Someone on here had a problem, with breaking suspension bolts by using eurathane suspension bushings along with jim fab bars......

im using a jim fab rear engine mount, and energy suspension engine mount inserts...

in my car, the thing that took away the most wheel hop was installing good struts...
Old 02-06-2004, 05:24 AM

Default Re: Turbo Traction? (R THIS)

If traction is your concern i would look at 15" because 16" just doesnt have the tire selection that the 15" has. The azenis are nice but if you making 250+ there going to spin just like any other street tire. I had 15" azenis on my blades, they were okay traction wise, but i was on low boost. I now have 16" wheels and im pretty much SOL, Bfg doesnt make a drag radial besides the 255/55/16 or 50 series cant remember.

If your really looking to get traction, find some lightweight 15" wheels, get some Bfg drag radials, good suspension, Jim fabs, and a Lsd

If your stuck on getting 16" wheels then do what i did, just get some descent rubber, and find a pair of 15" wheels and slap some bfg's on those. Atleast those are my plans.
Old 02-06-2004, 05:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Traction? (R THIS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by R THIS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Someone on here had a problem, with breaking suspension bolts by using eurathane suspension bushings along with jim fab bars.....
</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's probably because they were shitty old bolts or he had it some binding somewhere.