Notices

turbo or supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2002, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo or supercharger?

i have been looking into both turbo and super chargers... i really dont know what would be the best price for one for my car (99 Civic Si). A found vortech superchargers are up to 4k w/out installation. I it worth it to just save and go for a turbo instead? any adivce will be appreciated.
Old 05-13-2002, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: turbo or supercharger? (99sicivic)

lol, turbo is much cheaper and you will get more power. The vortech sucks from what I hear. The jackson racing super charger has a better power curve than the vortech. The only good thing is the aftercooler.

TURBO, on the other hand is cheaper, you will get more power and potential and sounds incredible. You can get a Drag 3 turbo kit from importparts.com for under $3000. Almost eveeryone will recommend turbo on this board.
Old 05-13-2002, 10:21 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: turbo or supercharger? (intekragsr)

yeah, this board is pretty turbo-centric. the jackson kits are pretty fun and good for daily drivers. you won't get a ton of power out of them though, and they do'nt come with great fuel and timing control setups. then again, neither do most bolt on turbo kits.

i don't think it's true that "turbo is cheaper." aside from boneyard setups, i would guess that most people around here with turbos have spent easily as much as the SC guys.

what are your goals for the car?

and btw, most people think the blowers on a jrsc sound pretty cool too... but if you're spending 5 grand on your car for the sound...

lol, turbo is much cheaper and you will get more power. The vortech sucks from what I hear. The jackson racing super charger has a better power curve than the vortech. The only good thing is the aftercooler.

TURBO, on the other hand is cheaper, you will get more power and potential and sounds incredible. You can get a Drag 3 turbo kit from importparts.com for under $3000. Almost eveeryone will recommend turbo on this board.
Old 05-13-2002, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: turbo or supercharger? (schwett)

haha i didnt spend 7 grand on my car for the sound of the turbo. Thats just a great bonus. But I made a mistake. Turbo is a money pit. Once you get a turbo kit, you will keep wanting more power and more and more and more since you get used to the feeling after a few days. I was just like you. Before I wanted the weak greddy turbo kit until I got a chance to ride in a car with a greddy and a car with a drag 3 kit. Also rode in a car with a JRSC. All I can say is I was blown away by the drag 3 turbo. It is not bad for daily driving. Personally I think it is better since you can control the boost. You could drive across america and not boost. Just gotta have a boost gauge and a mature foot. The supercharger, you are constantly boosting.