Notices

turbo or supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo or supercharger?

i'm having a debate with my friend about which is better, turbo or supercharger? i know both have their pros and cons but is there one that produces more hp? any information on this would be great.
Old 05-16-2004, 02:57 PM
Banned

Default Re: turbo or supercharger? (CivicSmkYa21)

Turbo produces more hp.
Old 05-16-2004, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo or supercharger? (JakeIsCool)

welcome to the board... you'll find 90% of your questions have been covered already just use the search feature... especially this topic.
Old 05-16-2004, 03:06 PM

Default Re: turbo or supercharger? (m3bluegsr)

lets not get into a big debate but TURBO always will make more power.
Old 05-16-2004, 03:09 PM

Default Re: turbo or supercharger? (numba1)

i agree turbos make more power.. however turbo lag sucks.. i have a turbo, it lags, but it makes good power up top..

superchargers are good in the sense that theres no lag..however it puts more drag on the motor then a turbo would because it takes alot of power just to turn that ucken thing .

Im a turbo person.. but i just realize the pros and cons to both sides.
Old 05-16-2004, 03:15 PM

Default Re: turbo or supercharger? (J337_UNIT)

i like turbo lag, it makes me happy
Old 05-16-2004, 03:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: turbo or supercharger? (J337_UNIT)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J337_UNIT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i agree turbos make more power.. however turbo lag sucks.. i have a turbo, it lags, but it makes good power up top..

superchargers are good in the sense that theres no lag..however it puts more drag on the motor then a turbo would because it takes alot of power just to turn that ucken thing .

Im a turbo person.. but i just realize the pros and cons to both sides.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Go drive a vortech car, then you'll get a real understanding for boost lag. If you have full boost at 4500, a vortech car @ those RPM's might be making 3 or 4 pounds of boost. Lets put it this way, my car with a "lagmaster" T67 pulls easily on a friends 85MM GSR vortech car, no matter if it's a highway punch, a slow roll, or a dead dig. I stay even with him out of the hole, then when boost really hits I leave him in the dust. Roots/twin screws are another story, but a turbo will still make more power and be easier on the motor.
Old 05-16-2004, 04:37 PM

Default Re: turbo or supercharger? (boosted92)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
but a turbo will still make more power and be easier on the motor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

explain how it'll be easier on the motor, please...
Old 05-16-2004, 04:45 PM

Default Re: turbo or supercharger? (ha illuminato un)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ha illuminato un &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

explain how it'll be easier on the motor, please...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ever seen the crank snout of a motor that has had a centrifugal on there with cogs? Blowers put tons of stress on the front main bearings, and i've seen the snouts of crankshafts literally break off from the heavy stress put on them by blowers.
Old 05-16-2004, 05:02 PM
Banned

Damn you owned ha illuminato un haha
Old 05-16-2004, 05:12 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JakeIsCool &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Damn you owned ha illuminato un haha</TD></TR></TABLE>

Shut the hell up, I didn't own anybody. I shared relevant information from my past experiences to help prove my point, so that everyone can learn from everyone else. People who say "you got 0wned yo!!" contribute absolutely nothing to this board, and are one of the reasons why you're knee-deep in crap when you try and search anything on this board.
Old 05-16-2004, 07:36 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JakeIsCool &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Damn you owned ha illuminato un haha</TD></TR></TABLE>

shut the **** up, newb. no one asked for your opinion. and quit making useless posts to make your post count go up. i asked him to elaborate further, and he did. thank you, boosted92, for elaborating further.
Old 05-16-2004, 07:38 PM

Think about it. Superchargers are using engine power to make engine power. Your engine has to use a certian percentage of its power to spin a pully that spins a turbine. Where turbo uses exhaust gasses that spins a turbine, it dont take any extra power to make exhaust gasses. TURBO LAG = Traction, and turbine superchargers have the worse lag. you dont hit full boost on turbine superchargers until almost redline
Old 05-16-2004, 07:48 PM

Default Re: turbo or supercharger? (CivicSmkYa21)

Go turbo. You have to add a little more to the setup than a supercharger, but it is far more efficient and easier to produce more power. If you want something street legal and you plan on nothing more than a little more spirited driving or the occasional auto cross, go with the JR supercharger, a more linear powerband with far less lag. But then again, a smaller turbo will produce less lag. Oh, by the way, I am unbiased and have a JRSC about to go 11psi.
Old 05-17-2004, 05:51 AM
Banned

Damn I know this is a respected forum but damn dont you think youre taking it a little to seriously....you guys are ****** stressing over it but from now on no one will get owned

Modified by JakeIsCool at 3:16 PM 5/17/2004
Old 05-17-2004, 06:02 AM

Turbo has potential
Supercharger........

I've had both, supercharger is more of a mod for the 30 yr old family guy who wants to add a little punch to his Gsr, Turbo is for the guy who wants to be competitive.
Old 05-17-2004, 06:06 AM

Starting from the top...
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicSmkYa21 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'm having a debate with my friend about which is better, turbo or supercharger? i know both have their pros and cons but is there one that produces more hp? any information on this would be great.</TD></TR></TABLE>
If you say you know the pros and cons of both, than you shouldn't need to ask this question. More importantly, there is a wealth of information on this subject if you search the site's archives.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JakeIsCool &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Turbo produces more hp. </TD></TR></TABLE>
WRONG

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by numba1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lets not get into a big debate but TURBO always will make more power. </TD></TR></TABLE>
WRONG

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J337_UNIT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i agree turbos make more power.. .</TD></TR></TABLE>
WRONG

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94gsr4dr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i like turbo lag, it makes me happy</TD></TR></TABLE>
WEIRD

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KingDsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Go turbo. You have to add a little more to the setup than a supercharger, but it is far more efficient and easier to produce more power. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Turbo is not far more efficient, and "easier to produce more power" is fairly ambiguous.

To the starter of this thread. Please stop wasting everyones time and do research. You will find much more useful information and less flaming if you read old posts and decide for yourself. As always, the best way to decide is to ride in a few cars with similar setups to what your considering, and go from there.
Old 05-17-2004, 03:00 PM

Default Re: turbo or supercharger? (SleepyEG)

Ok. First off, a supercharger is belt driven, this we know. It takes power to make power. Second, a turbo is exhaust gas driven, this we also know. It uses waste to make power. This makes it a far more efficient power maker. 6psi from a turbo is actually more power seen than 6psi from a charger. They both will make that 6psi, but due to the parasitic drag from the belt driven charger, in my case a JR, your not seeing all the power.
Now, my comment on easier to make power, well obviously you have to have good engine management including but not limited to fuel delivery. That supercharger has to have a pulley change and an expensive *** intercooler/manifold setup to see the increase in power. The turbo's intercooler is cheaper and more efficient than the SC's, specifically JR. That Dammit, would make it easier and more efficient to make power from a turbo than a SC. End the debate people, turbo is the way to go.
Old 05-17-2004, 06:05 PM

what did i just say LETS NOT GET INTO A BIG DEBAT ,bottom line is if your making serious hp (350-UP)on street fuel(91 octane). YOUR PRETTY MUCH USING A TURBO SETUP.END OF STORY.
Old 05-18-2004, 04:19 AM

Default Re: turbo or supercharger? (numba1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by numba1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what did i just say LETS NOT GET INTO A BIG DEBAT ,bottom line is if your making serious hp (350-UP)on street fuel(91 octane). YOUR PRETTY MUCH USING A TURBO SETUP.END OF STORY.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Agreed, there is no need for a "DEBAT", but what you said here is completely false! Debates happen so often on H-T because of the wealth of strongly supported mis-information going around.
Old 05-18-2004, 06:33 AM

so what 350 hp on a frontwheel car is kinda shitty anyway you will lose a lot on wheelspin.
i think 250 hp is the top, i you want more buy a rwd or 4 wheel
Old 05-18-2004, 07:52 AM

Default Re: turbo or supercharger? (KingDsi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KingDsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok. First off, a supercharger is belt driven, this we know. It takes power to make power. Second, a turbo is exhaust gas driven, this we also know. It uses waste to make power. This makes it a far more efficient power maker. 6psi from a turbo is actually more power seen than 6psi from a charger. They both will make that 6psi, but due to the parasitic drag from the belt driven charger, in my case a JR, your not seeing all the power.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually they both have parasitic drag. The engine has to work to pile up exhaust gas in the manifold, especially if you're using a log mani. In the words of Corky Bell "This is known as TIP (turbine inlet pressure) and it is perhaps the only evil thing to come of turbos". It's a common misconception that turbos make power for free. Even an engine with a turbo exhaust section and no intake section will cause a hp loss because it's a large restriction in the exhaust tract.

And according to Mr. Bell, TIP is usually in the nature of 2x intake manifold boost pressure, with TIP increasing as the size of the turbo decreases. T25 on a B18C anyone?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KingDsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Now, my comment on easier to make power, well obviously you have to have good engine management including but not limited to fuel delivery. That supercharger has to have a pulley change and an expensive *** intercooler/manifold setup to see the increase in power. The turbo's intercooler is cheaper and more efficient than the SC's, specifically JR. That Dammit, would make it easier and more efficient to make power from a turbo than a SC. End the debate people, turbo is the way to go.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's easier to intercool a turbo than an intercooler, that's a good reason to go turbo
Old 05-18-2004, 08:41 PM

Default Re: turbo or supercharger? (raene)

so what 350hp , your talking out your ***, from a standstill to a rollon with 350 and up HP, i'll walk all over your ride with 250.Your reading to much drag racing ****.You THINK 250 is top,you don't think at all. The people on here who have cars with excess of 350, know how to drive there ****,to hear you say that makes us all laugh,you should go back to the allmotor board and buy some skunk2 cams and call it a day.
Old 05-18-2004, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow. n00b opened up a can o' worms
Old 05-18-2004, 08:52 PM

Default Re: (Turbo E 604)

Really, how many of these 'supercharger vs turbo' threads do we need?

Quick Reply: turbo or supercharger?