Notices

Turbo size queries please

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 02:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo size queries please

Hey all

Just needing to know something about turbos i am unsure on the ind and ex sizes and trims

But I'm wondering is there much of a difference in between these Turbos I'm really after the gt35 but if it's not much difference I'll get the cheaper one

Thank you in advance
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/T3-T4-Turbo-63-A-R-Oil-Hybrid-V-Band-Universal-Turbocharger-for-4-6-Cyl-tcd-/280951822241?hash=item416a0897a1:g:HsEAAOSwGzlTtkJ q

Or this
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Universal-Turbo-GT35-AR-63-Com-70-T3-V-Band-Oil-Cold-Turbocharger-400-500-HP-/252067449366?hash=item3ab0640a16:g:11AAAOSwjVVV2o5 X
Old 03-03-2016, 03:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo size queries please

Found a prefect link to the turbo I'm after
http://www.turbochargerkits.com.au/turbo-reviews/xr6-turbos-gt3540-turbocharger/

I want something very very similar in size to the gt3540 as the motors a 4L even slightly bigger but internal Wastegate
Old 03-03-2016, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you havent even posted your setup or power goal, so we can't help you without that information.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TravisBiggie
you havent even posted your setup or power goal, so we can't help you without that information.
Sorry man i was to embraced

But i understand now how sizing works of turbo housings etc to a extent

Set up is a dual ohc 4l engine its a ford Australia motor no one knows of down in u.s.a

Stock coolee thats around 200x350 made by garret i thought i may as all use a cheap second hand name branded cooler then a flimsy eBay one

Factory turbo cast manifold t3 flange no wastegate flange on it cant go wrong for $125 it should never crack etc

2.5" exsuast for mean time as it's a stainless steel genie system and aftermarket cast alloy plenun will get pictures over the weekend

Goals are around 240-270rwkw stock they make 190-200rwkw on only 5psi I'm hoping to push 9psi

Only reason why I'm posting here it's due to youguys are a world of knowledge
Old 03-03-2016, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TravisBiggie
travis are u running stock cams? how much power you making on that set up
Old 03-03-2016, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you got these Turbos in the usa and if so are they popular with that large rear housing
XR6 Turbo's GT3540 Turbocharger - What is the GT3540 capable of? | Turbocharger Kits
Old 03-04-2016, 12:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

The turbo Barra is fitted with a GT3582R in factory form as one of your links correctly points out. Is your engine a normally aspirated version ?

If it is a 'N/A' version I'd honestly suggest you just pickup a factory manifold and turbo setup off of a XR6 Turbo and address the intercooler and exhaust sides.

Any genuine Garrett GT35R can be ordered with a 1.06 T3 undivided housing - which will match the OEM Ford one but without the internal wastegate.

PTE also make a bolt-on upgrade for the engine using the stock turbo manifold but unless you want more than 600whp, its not needed.
Old 03-04-2016, 03:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by extremeracer
The turbo Barra is fitted with a GT3582R in factory form as one of your links correctly points out. Is your engine a normally aspirated version ?

If it is a 'N/A' version I'd honestly suggest you just pickup a factory manifold and turbo setup off of a XR6 Turbo and address the intercooler and exhaust sides.

Any genuine Garrett GT35R can be ordered with a 1.06 T3 undivided housing - which will match the OEM Ford one but without the internal wastegate.

PTE also make a bolt-on upgrade for the engine using the stock turbo manifold but unless you want more than 600whp, its not needed.
N/A version i got but picking up anther N/A block tomorrow if it's in ok nic for the sump both have sub 100k km

It's going in to a EA hence why i I'm doing it on the cheap car gets driven bi monthly if lucky I've got a aftermarket j pipe with waste gate n a stock turbo manifold i might go with the factory as everyone knows there bullet proff

It's Getting a pair of vtec killer cam gears so any aftermarket ecu can run it. . I mean vct hah ☺

Ahh ok so this garret backing 5 bolt isn't just a Ford Australia /garret thing any more? As in the flange style

I'm going to try for ten psi i think n eventually get valve springs but for the cost of springs a whole new engine can be bought

I guess if i get bored i can slip the gt35 on to my dc5 and revert back to n/a
Old 03-06-2016, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by barraea
N/A version i got but picking up anther N/A block tomorrow if it's in ok nic for the sump both have sub 100k km

It's going in to a EA hence why i I'm doing it on the cheap car gets driven bi monthly if lucky I've got a aftermarket j pipe with waste gate n a stock turbo manifold i might go with the factory as everyone knows there bullet proff

It's Getting a pair of vtec killer cam gears so any aftermarket ecu can run it. . I mean vct hah ☺

Ahh ok so this garret backing 5 bolt isn't just a Ford Australia /garret thing any more? As in the flange style

I'm going to try for ten psi i think n eventually get valve springs but for the cost of springs a whole new engine can be bought

I guess if i get bored i can slip the gt35 on to my dc5 and revert back to n/a
If you get a normal aftermarket T3 housing the downpipe flange will most likely be a 4 bolt or V-band - so you'd need to fabricate a new downpipe instead of using the Ford piece. If you get the whole XR6 Turbo setup then everything should bolt-on and require less custom work.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by extremeracer
If you get a normal aftermarket T3 housing the downpipe flange will most likely be a 4 bolt or V-band - so you'd need to fabricate a new downpipe instead of using the Ford piece. If you get the whole XR6 Turbo setup then everything should bolt-on and require less custom work.
I went with a v band rear turbo shouldn't be hard to fabricate a dump pipe i really wanted a genuine garret but every single one has either come of thrashed riced out wrecks or have the wastegate taken off etc