Notices

Turbo Setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Setup

Well i think i have decided to go turbo once i save up enough money, but i need some advice on which turbo and such. I know to be helpful, you guys need all the info and goals. so here goes.

I have a 95 integra ls.
It is daily driven.
I dont want to mess with internals.
I dont want to spend more than 2500 including everything.
I want somewhere in the ballpark of 250 whp.
Basically i want a fun quick and reliable, car with a quick spooling turbo that has a wide powerband.

Any suggestions?
Old 01-31-2006, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Setup (aaro890)

bump
Old 01-31-2006, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ebay
Old 01-31-2006, 02:48 PM

do you want a custom kit? or a manufactured kit?

I'd probably go with a t3/t4.. get a custom made manifold, tune with a free program such as uber/crome. I wouldnt get an ebay kit.. especially not ssautocrap or xsturbo or w/e they are called
Old 01-31-2006, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Setup (ek_chris)

i was planning on piecing a kit together, rather than getting a kit. Also, i dont really understand the different trims and such for the turbos.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:21 PM

CALL KEN AT http://WWW.PHOENIXTURBO.COM HE KNOWS HIS ****, AND WILL TELL YA WHAT YOUR OPTIONS ARE !
Old 02-01-2006, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Setup (GOT14U)

anyone have some info on stuff like .57 trim and a/r and crap....i dont know what this is and just need a quick explanation. thanks
Old 02-01-2006, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok so heres my plan so far... any advice is welcome and wanted.

log manifold lsd motorsports
t3/t4 dont know what trim
spoolin performance 2.5 inch dp....do i need 3"?
cheap BOV
Tial WG
oil line kit
27x3.5x6.25 IC from lsd motorsports
IC piping: whats the best way to go about this

also, do i need injectors, fuel pump, slim fans?

Lastly, what is an inexpensive exhaust for this setup

please keep in mind my goal of 250 whp

thanks

edit: i need ps and ac
Old 02-01-2006, 12:11 PM

For 250whp I wouldn't get anything over a t3/t4 50 trim.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:19 PM

Default Re: Turbo Setup (Everyones Hero)

I have a b18b with roughly 250whp...similar to what you're seeking. So I'm gonna say...

I'm running a Turbonetics T3/T4 50 trim turbo, and it spools up almost instantly. And seeing as how you want a fun street car with about 250whp, then the 57 trim might be overkill, and you would not get as early as a spool as you would with a lower trim. I would recommend a 50 trim or so, or a 60 trim T3 turbo or a T3 Super 60 (.63A/R) because it has great volumetric efficiency on an LS engine at around 8-12PSI.

A slim fan would definitely help, because your fan is more than likely not gonna fit. But this depends on the size of your manifold and your turbo. I actually don't have a slim fan, but I mounted my fan all the way over to one side of the radiator, and zip-tied my way through. Definitely not a professional job, but it gets the job done. I would consider a smaller fan, since it'd be a lot easier to work with, and it's a cleaner install.

As far as exhaust goes, since you're running turbo, the bigger the exhaust, the better...the better the flow, the easier it'll be to reach your target hp, if not exceed it. It all depends on how much money you're willing to spend. I currently have a GReddy SP and I'm satisfied with the power. Like you, since my car is a street car, I don't want it to be too loud so I'm willing to sacrifice some hp for it. I'm thinking of getting an even quieter exhaust system, probably just slap on an ITR axleback and then getting an electronic cut out so that I can switch between an open downpipe and a stock exhaust. But again, it's up to you.

And yes, you need to think about the corresponding fuel counterpart of the turbo. For 250whp, 440 injectors with a 255lph walbro fuel pump should do the trick. I'm personally running 550cc injectors, simply because in the future I want to raise the boost a bit more, etc.

Have you thought of fuel management--the most important part about boosting? You have plenty of options: Hondata, Uberdata, Crome...

I'm running off Crome right now and I'm pretty satisfied with it...just make sure you can tune, or you know someone that can tune off a program they're comfortable with.

Hope this helps

Modified by rsintegra at 4:29 PM 2/1/2006
Old 02-01-2006, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Setup (rsintegra)

wow thanks a lot for the help.

i was planning onusing hondata or crome, but have no idea how it works.

so a 50 trim t3/t4 turbo with .63 a/r ? what does this mean? i do want fast spool.

and would i only need one fan, or 2?

thanks for the info
Old 02-02-2006, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 02-02-2006, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also, do i need a dumptube? and what does that do even...

lastly do i need piping to a filter from my turbo?
thanks guys
Old 02-02-2006, 05:47 PM

A dumptube goes from an external wastegate to the exhaust.

You only need one if you are running an external wastegate. You could run an internal wastegate, which is usually built into the turbo.

You don't NEED a tube for your turbo. A lot of people are not running filters or anything. A lot just put a screen over it (like me.)

I'm about to make an intake for my turbo out of fiberglass because it's simple to work with an will work best in my application.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so for example if i was planning on getting a tial 38 mm wastegate, i would need one. but, if i got an internal wastegate, i wouldnt? also, is it cheaper to have a wastegate, and how does it work in comparison to external?
thanks

also, do you just run the dumptube open, and if so is it loud?
sorry for all the questions...
Old 02-02-2006, 06:39 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by aaro890 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so for example if i was planning on getting a tial 38 mm wastegate, i would need one. but, if i got an internal wastegate, i wouldnt? also, is it cheaper to have a wastegate, and how does it work in comparison to external?
thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly. Internal= no dump tube, External= dump tube.

If the turbo comes with a wastegate it'll definately be cheaper than having to buy an external wastegate and buy/fab a dump tube.

If you wanted more boost out of the stock WG you just need to pick up a boost controller (Turbo XS is only like 75+ shipping, or you can pick up a used one cheaper than that.)

I'm running an internal wastegate as of right now and I have zero complaints. I'm only in the 200hp range, so I don't know what kind of difference it makes on high horsepower applications.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm...so what is the psi usually for an internal wastegate, stock?
Old 02-04-2006, 05:17 PM

My stock wastegate is set at 7psi. I think they range between 4 and 7ish.

Just ask whatever company/individual you're buying from where it opens at.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:55 PM

From what I LEARNED from years of reading stuff on HT:

When you're boosting, part of the air is sent out the exhaust and part of the air is sent to a compressor, and in doing so, the compressed air experiences a higher pressure (2psi, 3 psi, whatever) that is sent back into the engine in conjunction with new air from the compressor inlet (where the filter/screen is located)...This recycled system allows for more air to be compressed, which results in more pressure.

Now the point of the wastegate is, to control this pressure level to whatever the spring on the wastegate is set. If your wastegate is set at 10 psi for example, then it's a stiff spring that can hold up to that specified amount. So any pressure that exceeds this will be able to lift this spring under that boost pressure, and the remaining pressurized air will be departed through a DUMPTUBE. In laymen's term, think of it like this: You have security guard monitoring a party that will allow only 10 people total in a room. If there are any additional people, the security guard will direct the remaining people out the door. Now here's the tricky part: The security guard will have to work extra hard to throw people out of a party of 6 than a party of 10 or even 12. So if you want to run low boost, then a bigger wastegate will be optimal. Generally the higher you'll go up in boost, the safer it'll be to run a smaller wastegate...think of it like this: In an ideal case where our cars can actually boost up to 100psi, then the wastegate will only work when your car actually exceeds 100 psi, and will then throw the remaining pressurized air out through a dumptube. The wastegate isn't working that hard, right (if you boost 101psi, it'll only have to dump out 1psi of air)?

Some people like to route their dumptubes back to the downpipe (get it welded or whatever), other people just route it out through their bumper (might make your tire black) or what not. If you don't get a dumptube, then where is the air gonna go? The air is just gonna spray all over where the wastegate is, and will dirty + heat up your engine with its hot air. It's been dyno proven that re-routing the wastegate back to the downpipe increases hp because the compressor side of the turbo (with the filter/screen) will NOT suck up that hot wastegate air, but rather cooler air, which we all know increases hp (think SRI intake vs CAI) ... I would also recommend running a filter over a screen anyday. A screen should be for temporary use IMHO.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:58 PM

Default Re: Turbo Setup (GOT14U)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GOT14U &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">CALL KEN AT http://WWW.PHOENIXTURBO.COM HE KNOWS HIS ****, AND WILL TELL YA WHAT YOUR OPTIONS ARE !</TD></TR></TABLE>

Seriously ******, quit with the f ucking cap locks already.. Don't be an *******.
Old 02-05-2006, 05:31 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by aaro890 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok so heres my plan so far... any advice is welcome and wanted.

log manifold lsd motorsports
t3/t4 dont know what trim
spoolin performance 2.5 inch dp....do i need 3"?
cheap BOV
Tial WG
oil line kit
27x3.5x6.25 IC from lsd motorsports
IC piping: whats the best way to go about this
</TD></TR></TABLE>

if you want my downpipe you woudl need to send me their log manifold in order to make you one that fits. not all manifolds are created equal. i could give you 10 downpipe and not 1 will fit.

for 250 WHP a 2.5 downpipe is all thats needed. PM me if you want oil line kits. ic piping. intercoolers manifodls downpipes. dumptubes etcc.
Old 02-05-2006, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Setup (Drag_On)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Drag_On &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Seriously ******, quit with the f ucking cap locks already.. Don't be an *******.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I dont think he was trying to be an *******. I think he just LOVES his peakboost kit.
Old 02-05-2006, 06:30 PM

Default Re: Turbo Setup (Darkside_DC2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by aaro890 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow thanks a lot for the help.

so a 50 trim t3/t4 turbo with .63 a/r ? what does this mean? i do want fast spool.

thanks for the info</TD></TR></TABLE> bump b/c i want to know the same thing too!!!
Old 02-05-2006, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Setup (jononioo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rsintegra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">From what I LEARNED from years of reading stuff on HT: So if you want to run low boost, then a bigger wastegate will be optimal

</TD></TR></TABLE>

i thought if you had a 7psi spring, you cant run no lower than that .. only go higher ..
Old 02-05-2006, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Setup (haveaniceday)

we are talking about flow here though. The wastegate has to flow more exhaust so the turbine of the turbo doesnt boost more. If you run higher psi then you are letting more exhaust through the turbine so not as much needs to run out the wastegate. Make sense? So when running low psi you need a large wastegate to flow more exhaust otherwise you'll get boost creep.

Quick Reply: Turbo Setup