Notices

It this turbo screwed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It this turbo screwed?

This is what I get for not using a 10c cable strap or something on the silicone hose that goes from the turbo to the wastegate. It came off and was touching the inlet blades I assume (the hose was pretty eaten up on the turbo end of it). Lucky I did not over boost or anything.

Funny thing is I did not really noticed anything except that when I did boost (low psi) the car seemed a little sluggish but the turbo did not make any wierd noises or anything. There is still no shaft play, etc. (Garrett Turbo btw)

My question is 1. Is the turbo basically done or can I still use it like this? 2. Do I need to remove my charge pipes and intercooler to check for metal pieces or the silicone hose pieces / clean intercooler and pipes out?

Last edited by gizmoto2000; 06-26-2011 at 09:51 AM.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:21 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: It this turbo screwed?

It looks pretty bad youll need a new wheel for sure. A simple rebuild should fix it
Old 06-07-2011, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Time for a billet wheel. Yes you should pull the ic piping and check for any metal fragment. If there none you should look into a billet wheel and rebuild kit
Old 06-07-2011, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Where do I get this billet wheel from and is it hard to replace just the wheel. This turbo was 100% perfect before this bs...
Old 06-08-2011, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For one y was there not a filter being ran on the turbo? Did u not feel the need to run one? I bet u do now don't ya? If not prepare for another failure on the next turbo u buy and run without a filter because sand dirt dust anything and everything can be sucked in and do that again. Just think a ten dollar part and this wouldn have happened....tisk tisk.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's not just the turbo. no filter will speed the destruction of your entire engine with a vengeance
Old 06-08-2011, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gizmoto2000
Where do I get this billet wheel from and is it hard to replace just the wheel. This turbo was 100% perfect before this bs...
I would look on http://gpopshop.com/ or ebay but remember on ebay you get what you pay for. I just took my turbo apart and i thought it was very easy, I used this write up when i took apart mine and it helped alot. You also may need to get it balanced but i am not positive.
http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=11208
Old 06-09-2011, 03:42 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Yes. a rebalance for any wheel replacement is needed, whether it is cast or billet aluminum. you can send the entire turbo to a facility that manufacturers these special wheels, but it is truly their discretion as to whether or not they'll do it for you. (A lot of times, unless it is of a certain size, they say no.)

I'd just send it to a reputable rebuilder and have the turbo replaced, checked for any internal damage to the cartridge and rebalance. Expect to spend over $400 since there are hard parts replacement involved. (most "rebuilds" do not include in their pricing any replacement of shafts or wheels.)
Old 06-09-2011, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by W!d3b0dYr3X
For one y was there not a filter being ran on the turbo? Did u not feel the need to run one? I bet u do now don't ya? If not prepare for another failure on the next turbo u buy and run without a filter because sand dirt dust anything and everything can be sucked in and do that again. Just think a ten dollar part and this wouldn have happened....tisk tisk.
Are you the H-T Turbo Filter Cop? If you do not have an answer to my question do not post up some bs like ur my dad or something and try to increase your post count.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Yes. a rebalance for any wheel replacement is needed, whether it is cast or billet aluminum. you can send the entire turbo to a facility that manufacturers these special wheels, but it is truly their discretion as to whether or not they'll do it for you. (A lot of times, unless it is of a certain size, they say no.)

I'd just send it to a reputable rebuilder and have the turbo replaced, checked for any internal damage to the cartridge and rebalance. Expect to spend over $400 since there are hard parts replacement involved. (most "rebuilds" do not include in their pricing any replacement of shafts or wheels.)
Its funny that it still works and builds boost but sounds like a supercharger now - guess I better take it off and just get another one as it probably will be cheaper considering this is just a small 50 trim...
Old 06-09-2011, 04:07 PM

It won't be funny long as you now have fatiqued metal that is rotating around, any of which point could break off and destroy the rest of the turbo, or better yet, get into the engine somehow.

50 trims are now averaging about $650.00-$700 for a quality one. you're better off getting it fixed. Prices have increased over the last year.... significantly
Old 06-14-2011, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon3 Re: It this turbo screwed?

It won't be funny long as you now have fatiqued metal that is rotating around, any of which point could break off and destroy the rest of the turbo, or better yet, get into the engine somehow.

50 trims are now averaging about $650.00-$700 for a quality one. you're better off getting it fixed. Prices have increased over the last year.... significantly

LOL - price increase you say? I bought this Garrett for $200 not too long ago and it was perfect, used with low miles but perfect! I honestly do not believe in $650 for a .50 trim lol. BTW I already found an almost exact replacement, also a Garrett .50 trim for $170 shipped with no shaft play, etc. etc. The guy upgraded to a GT35R and YES a filter is going on this time

I am just curious, what would say a GT35R would cost from your point of view? lol just wondering what ridiculous numbers you gonna throw for that.... Are you some kind of agent for a big brand turbo manufacturer? ...hmmm...
Old 06-14-2011, 11:42 AM

Garrett prices for some turbos went up, while others go down. You can find all the ebay $170 turbos you'd like, but for the real thing, you'll expect to pay more. I'm just giving you a heads up for the sticker shock from reputable dealers, and not e-bay sales monkeys.

True GT35Rs are now going on average of $1480-$1500. E-bay versions are significantly less.

I'm a Garrett/borg-warner/Ishikawa (IHI), and Mitsubishi design engineer, so I sort of have an inside as to what's going on in those 3 companies. Just telling you how it is. It's really none of my concern if you find your best deal somewhere. I was simply trying to help with showing your options. but good luck to you.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you the H-T Turbo Filter Cop? If you do not have an answer to my question do not post up some bs like ur my dad or something and try to increase your post count.
I was only stating something that should have been common sense, but I guess I should have known you had none when you asked if that turbo could still be used with half the blades missing.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Garrett prices for some turbos went up, while others go down. You can find all the ebay $170 turbos you'd like, but for the real thing, you'll expect to pay more. I'm just giving you a heads up for the sticker shock from reputable dealers, and not e-bay sales monkeys.

True GT35Rs are now going on average of $1480-$1500. E-bay versions are significantly less.

I'm a Garrett/borg-warner/Ishikawa (IHI), and Mitsubishi design engineer, so I sort of have an inside as to what's going on in those 3 companies. Just telling you how it is. It's really none of my concern if you find your best deal somewhere. I was simply trying to help with showing your options. but good luck to you.
I never use Ebay turbos always Garrett - from experience, a used Garrett with 1000's of miles will put any Ebay turbo to ****. Broken blades and all...
Old 06-14-2011, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by W!d3b0dYr3X
I was only stating something that should have been common sense, but I guess I should have known you had none when you asked if that turbo could still be used with half the blades missing.
LOL its a Garrett and not some Ebay turbo on a riced out piece of crap lol so I thought I would see if it would hold up for a short while...

Ok grandpa I will take your advise from now on. Do you need me to go milk the cow now grandpa for your evening coffee?
Old 06-14-2011, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL its a Garrett and not some Ebay turbo on a riced out piece of crap lol so I thought I would see if it would hold up for a short while...

Ok grandpa I will take your advise from now on. Do you need me to go milk the cow now grandpa for your evening coffee?
says the guy who runs a turbo with no air filter...
Old 06-14-2011, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats what im sayin if ur not gonna run a air filter cause it looks or sounds cooler atleast run a screen with a hose clamp. but an air filter is 100% better. there is really no gain in anything running no air filter . but im gonna agree with him get a used turbo like u said with no shaft play waywayway cheaper then droping 500 to 1000 bucks i see them all day around the indiana area..
Old 06-15-2011, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by racebum
says the guy who runs a turbo with no air filter...
What are u his butt buddy? Yall be playin with each other while I go milk the cow for your coffee - I knew it. Basterds!
Old 06-15-2011, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Get a new wheel, have it balanced. goodnight
:close thread:
Old 06-15-2011, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What are u his butt buddy? Yall be playin with each other while I go milk the cow for your coffee - I knew it. Basterds!
Milking the cow? We all know you lack common sense. You ran a turbo with no protection, no screen, no filter, or anything. That's like you trying to milk the cows your talking about without a pail. You found out neither work well for very long. You remind me of someone I know who once asked if they could just loosen the head bolts up and slide the headgasket underneath the head to save some time.

And that turbo being better than an ebay turbo with missing blades haha garret makes decent turbos but I would pay to see that. Please try this and be sure to record it.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The blades are not missing but chipped off a bit and you're sayin the Ebay ching-chong turbo is better than a Garrett?? Garrett is made here in USA you ricer. lol.

LOL milking the cow without a pail - I can tell you were farm raised in the barn lol. Your car pic reminds me of ma cow Bertha btw - all black and white with a full body (kit) lol.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

LOL guys, I'm just f**kin wit yall lol - dont get mad cos I'm :D when I type this **** hahahahah. Don't worry next turbo is gettin at least a screen on it before I even move the car ok? and I dont have a cow although I wish I did with milkmaid incl. lol.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:41 AM

Must be a Wisconsin Milk & Cheese thing to understand this awkward humor.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would recommend what Shodan said buy a new unit and be sure it will last.The only way to really know whats going on in a used unit is to take it apart and check the cartridge and all internal parts.Shaft play isnt a definitive answer to whether a turbo is in good working order.You have already lost what you spent on this turbo plus what you need to spend now on a replacemnet for not using a 30 dollar filter and with that size turbo not using a filter may gain you 1 to 2 ponies so whats the benefit in not using one.

Quick Reply: It this turbo screwed?