Notices

Turbo for road race setup

Old 01-25-2009, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo for road race setup

This question is more about the Oil jets/squirters, its been said on here for years that they just aren't needed with forged pistons, but no explanation why. Piston aside..a wrist pin is a wrist pin. and keeping it cooled has to help longevity.

I know the majority of the honda scene is into drag racing where races only last seconds at a time. Or or powerful street cars that again only see high rpms for a few seconds, before brought back down to low speeds. but when if you are doing a turbo Road car setup that will be over 7k or 8k rpms for extended time argent the squirters actually necessary with or without boost?
Old 01-25-2009, 10:28 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Turbo for road race setup

They can be used, but at the same time, the reason why they are typically not used on the forged units is because the cooling on the wrist pin is not needed as much since (from my experience only) the wristpins are locked in with an external lock than "pressed" in, where heat expansion of the metal may affect the flexibility of that piston. I've driven in road race events honda engines that used both forged setups and OEM piston/ring oil squirter setups. We found no difference in oil consumption or breakdown. It is common that most HPDE event runners w/ turbo honda applications check their oil levels after each run anyway to ensure the oil cooler and other components are receiving enough oil. I don't know what particular explanation that you're looking for, since most of the reasoning behind what occurs with that was more trial & error than any particular emphirical data