Notices

turbo reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo reliable?

I have a 93 civic coupe with a b16 swap. Right now i drive about 100miles a day and it runs perfect nothing ever goes wrong. I recently purchased a turbo kit and i plan on running 8psi daily. Do you think my car will be as reliable as it is now driving 100 miles a day?
Old 02-12-2006, 11:27 AM
wrenchin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: turbo reliable? (93civicjaydm)

as long as its properly tuned and you dont rape the **** out of it every day, yes. drive normal and u'll be fine
Old 02-12-2006, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is it a SSAutocrome turbo kit?
Old 02-12-2006, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93civicjaydm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a 93 civic coupe with a b16 swap. Right now i drive about 100miles a day and it runs perfect nothing ever goes wrong. I recently purchased a turbo kit and i plan on running 8psi daily. Do you think my car will be as reliable as it is now driving 100 miles a day?</TD></TR></TABLE>

1. if you keep it stock then you'll be dealing with what you already have

2. if you go turbo, then add the following to your list:

1. car will run hotter, may even overheat if radiator isn't good enough or not enough cfm from fans
2. will require more frequent maitnance and troubleshooting. whether you snap/loose bolt, disconnect charge piping or whatever other common problems.
3. you will put more stress on your drivetrain (engine and transmission). with that alone, even if its tuned and built perfectly its not going to last as long. if you run too much hp, your engine will go even sooner.

my best advice is don't boost unless you can afford to rebuild. and its even better if you have a backup car.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:47 PM

if you install it correctly, with good components and tuned properly,

it will be completely reliable.
Old 02-12-2006, 02:43 PM

Default Re: turbo reliable? (2001Teg2L)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2001Teg2L &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you install it correctly, with good components and tuned properly,

it will be completely reliable.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Bullshit
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtec.dc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

1. car will run hotter, may even overheat if radiator isn't good enough or not enough cfm from fans
2. will require more frequent maitnance and troubleshooting. whether you snap/loose bolt, disconnect charge piping or whatever other common problems.
3. you will put more stress on your drivetrain (engine and transmission). with that alone, even if its tuned and built perfectly its not going to last as long. if you run too much hp, your engine will go even sooner.

my best advice is don't boost unless you can afford to rebuild. and its even better if you have a backup car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 02-12-2006, 02:49 PM

Default Re: turbo reliable? (TheKINGPin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtec.dc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

my best advice is don't boost unless you can afford to rebuild. and its even better if you have a backup car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i agree. it seems if even all the big parts last like the block and pistons or whatever, the thing that is irrating is the little things that go bad. like the coil(witch happened to me last night) it definatly takes alot more maintance. but well worth it imo
Old 02-12-2006, 03:10 PM

Default Re: turbo reliable? (TheKINGPin)

I'm running a mildly built motor (JE pistons, eagle rods) with a stock ITR head and a GT3076R on an inlinepro SS manifold. With a fluidyne full width rad and some good FAL fans I don't overheat nor run any hotter than stock.

Do I spend a little bit more time on maintainance? Sure. I like to check over oil lines, water lines, charge couplers, vacuum lines more often than on a naturally aspirated car, but what's 30 minutes a week for peace of mind?

I don't have any concerns over the wear and tear put on my motor. If I get 50K miles out of it and need to freshen it up with new bearings, oil pump, water pump, etc, that's a small price to pay for the large smile it puts on my face every day. I have a little over 10K on this current build with compression perfect straight across the board and under 3% leakdown in every cylinder. The clutch is obviously going to wear out faster with more power put through it, but with only 375whp and an exedy twin disc I'm not thinking about that for a long time.

I agree with 2001Teg2L, a properly selected setup with reasonable power goals for your components and driving habits will still make for a powerful, reliable car. If you're at WOT all the damn time don't expect a stock B16 seeing 15 pounds of SC61 boost to live, but if you take it easy your motor will last a long time. I drive mine every day to work, and unless traffic is really bad I get atleast a few bursts of WOT in there, and it's stone cold reliable for me.
Old 02-12-2006, 03:13 PM

Default Re: turbo reliable? (tallyturbo)

It can be reliable if you do it correctly. But even then there is alot of maitinence, small problems, worrying, paranoia, ect... I would suggest getting another car to daily drive, if you have the funds. That way you dont have to worry about not being able to get to where you need to go if the car is down.
Old 02-12-2006, 04:23 PM

Default Re: turbo reliable? (boosted92)

Also, TheKINGPin, maybe keep in mind that 2001Teg2L's daily driver made 833 WHP on race gas, so I'd say he probably has more knowledge about driving a turbo car every day rather than somebody who's never owned one before