Notices

Turbo question...with pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Titanium Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Turbo question...with pics

So I have had some different opinions, but I'm wondering which way is the correct way. In the first picture below there's a hose that runs from my w/g to the intake, this is the way my car is set up right now.
In the second picture it shows that the hose runs from the wastegate to the intake manifold. This is how my car was hooked up.
After changing from the way it was to the way it is, my boost gauge is reading differently. So my question is it better to run the hose the way it is in the first pic, or second pic? And why? Thanks

Pic #1

Pic #2
Old 07-23-2009, 03:30 PM

Default Re: Turbo question...with pics

any thoughts?
Old 07-23-2009, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you run it to the intake manifold the wastegate sees less boost because there is some pressure drop across the intercooler. Run it pre intake manifold and the wastegate sees more boost and opens sooner...but youll get less boost post IC. Keep it off the intake manifold to compensate for any boost loss through your intercooler.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by AndyFloyd
If you run it to the intake manifold the wastegate sees less boost because there is some pressure drop across the intercooler. Run it pre intake manifold and the wastegate sees more boost and opens sooner...but youll get less boost post IC. Keep it off the intake manifold to compensate for any boost loss through your intercooler.
So you think it's better to keep it the way it is? I mean there will usually always be a pressure drop in the i/c, but the way it is now (pic #1) I am not seeing the optimal boost levels, whereas in the second pic I was
Old 07-23-2009, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the correct way is to the intake, this way the wg sees the same psi that the map sensor does. see my video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJbQR...e=channel_page
Old 07-23-2009, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by boosted91crx
the correct way is to the intake, this way the wg sees the same psi that the map sensor does. see my video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJbQR...e=channel_page
good vid thx
Old 07-23-2009, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mozzandherb
good vid thx
np man, and if you need a great boost controller contact me or click the link in my sig
Old 07-23-2009, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mozzandherb
So you think it's better to keep it the way it is? I mean there will usually always be a pressure drop in the i/c, but the way it is now (pic #1) I am not seeing the optimal boost levels, whereas in the second pic I was
Just raise the boost a slight amount on your boost controller. That will put you back to whatever boost you want to run. But yea, keep it at the intake manifold for sure.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by AndyFloyd
Just raise the boost a slight amount on your boost controller. That will put you back to whatever boost you want to run. But yea, keep it at the intake manifold for sure.
That's is something I would have done, but I dont have a boost controller yet
Old 07-23-2009, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i would not use an intake manifold for the source. tial says their diaphragms shouldn't see vacuum.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kyden
i would not use an intake manifold for the source. tial says their diaphragms shouldn't see vacuum.
huh??? hooking it to the manifold is the proper way to do it. not sure why tial would tell you such a thing. the tial diaphragms handle 30+ psi im sure they can handle -20 inches of vacuum . besides once he hooks up a MBC the gate wont see vacuum any more any way.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well no offence but i put tial above some kids on an internet board. if they recomend it to not see vacuum. then that should be how it is hooked up.

http://www.tialmedia.com/documents/w..._wginstall.pdf
Old 07-23-2009, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 91jdmhatchback
well no offence but i put tial above some kids on an internet board. if they recomend it to not see vacuum. then that should be how it is hooked up.

http://www.tialmedia.com/documents/w..._wginstall.pdf
yeah you have to watch out for them kids, old farts like me on the other hand been around enough to know what works ok i have dual 44 mm tials and they love being hooked to the manifold

Last edited by boosted91crx; 07-23-2009 at 06:06 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it needs to be on the turbo side of the throttle body (according to tial) so I would put it as close to that point as possible, which would make it see roughly the same number as the map sensor, and would take into account the pressure drop from the intercooler/piping.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by drummerdude
it needs to be on the turbo side of the throttle body (according to tial) so I would put it as close to that point as possible, which would make it see roughly the same number as the map sensor, and would take into account the pressure drop from the intercooler/piping.
while thats true it would take all that into account, i can promise you that most if not all of us tial users go directly off the manifold with picture perfect results start a poll and i bet you that no one welds a unsightly nipple on the charge pipe just out side the throttle body, they either go off the turbo housing or the intake manifold , with most people preferring the intake manifold for proper boost control. however like i said as soon as he installs a MBC all this becomes null and void cause the MBC will not allow vacuum to go threw any way so then hooking it to the manifold is the ideal location and still abides by the no vacuum to the diaphragm scenario.