Notices

Turbo Prelude Boost issue???

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Prelude Boost issue???

alright read my sig. and you can get an idea of my setup, but i just finished breaking in my motor, and i have been letting the wastegate controll the boost, but it only has a 6-7 pound spring in it, so when i plug my controller up i poped off the IC pipe when it spooled a little high,(one of the clamps wasnt tight enough) fixed that, but now when its cut up to 8-9 it wont the BOV wont pop. i think its a vacuum issue, i have a line coming from the intake, that tee's off one to the BOV the other to the wastegate the boost controller is in line after the tee to the wastegate. does it need to be before the BOV to??? and there is a small round clear looking disk with a nipple on each end in line on the vaccum hose to the wastegate, what is it??? Last question, the BOV and wastegate have 2 different nipples on them, my bov has one at the top side, and one under that, its pluged in on the top and works great, but whats the other one for? My wastegate is a TIAL 38mm i belive, and it has the line plugged in near the top, but there is a fitting on the very bottom of it, whats it for???

I am working on my car tonight and wanna get this straightend out so any help would be great-
Old 09-18-2005, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Turbo Prelude Boost issue??? (l2yanE)

You want to run a dedicated wastegate line to your boost source. Dont tap anything into the WG line except maybe your boost controller. It's probably not the source of your problems, but it's something you'll want to look at. About your BOV, does it have an adjuster screw on it that you can loosen/tighten? try messing with that

EDIT: also you want to hook up your boost source to the WG's bottoms port. Then just follow the instructions on how to hook up your boost controller. Some manual BC's get teed into the WG boost line, while a few MBC's and almost all electronic BC's are connected to the top port.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:53 PM

ok yes my BOV is a greddy type r and its adjustable, but my wastegate is pluged in at the top is that a problem? i have a turbosmart manual boost controller T. what will i plug it into for that?

- mine pluges inline does this have something to do with my boost issue?
Old 09-18-2005, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (l2yanE)

I believe the Turbosmart MBC's go between the boost source and the WG bottom por, and you leave your top port open. With the WG Teed into the boost line, you turn the dial on the MBC to retrict the amount of pressure going to the WG which causes the WG orifice to not open as much and that raises the amount of boost you have.

here is the turbosmart homepage, maybe the insturctions can hep you out a little:

http://www.turbosmart.com.au/
Old 09-18-2005, 09:11 PM

Default Re: Turbo Prelude Boost issue??? (l2yanE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by l2yanE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">alright read my sig. and you can get an idea of my setup, but i just finished breaking in my motor, and i have been letting the wastegate controll the boost, but it only has a 6-7 pound spring in it, so when i plug my controller up i poped off the IC pipe when it spooled a little high,(one of the clamps wasnt tight enough) fixed that, but now when its cut up to 8-9 it wont the BOV wont pop. i think its a vacuum issue, i have a line coming from the intake, that tee's off one to the BOV the other to the wastegate the boost controller is in line after the tee to the wastegate. does it need to be before the BOV to??? and there is a small round clear looking disk with a nipple on each end in line on the vaccum hose to the wastegate, what is it??? Last question, the BOV and wastegate have 2 different nipples on them, my bov has one at the top side, and one under that, its pluged in on the top and works great, but whats the other one for? My wastegate is a TIAL 38mm i belive, and it has the line plugged in near the top, but there is a fitting on the very bottom of it, whats it for???

I am working on my car tonight and wanna get this straightend out so any help would be great-</TD></TR></TABLE> maybe im wrong but by the way ur explaining it, it sound like a check valve. and correct me if im wrong all u smart turbo guys but i dont think that should be there. usually those go to ur map sensor i think. good luck