Notices

turbo placement?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo placement?

i have been researching my build for about a year and have had other turbo cars, just not a honda, so to begin with i do have some turbo knowledge. My question is that im lookin at piecing together a kit and was lookin at the lovefab or neukin mani. But when u look at them, the turbo is facing the other way (the intake side is facing the driver side) when most kits i have seen have the intake side of the turbo facing the driver side. Here is a pic of what to me looks like the opposite way

http://www.lovefabinc.com//ima...1.jpg

My question is if making intercooler piping is it any harder with the turbo in the oppsoite direction. also can u swivel the housing so that where the intercooler piping meets the turbo is facing down.

if this is confusing i will try to elaborate and get pics
thanks in advance
Old 06-29-2005, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: turbo placement? (c1civic)

Compressor side towards driver side is good for doing a backdoor setup. Below are a few pics of my Revhard setup. I like it because there is not a lot of piping, so if you wanted to make a similar setup, that's less piping you have to buy.

My IC piping is made up of that small elbow that goes between the compressor and IC inlet, and the the passenger side charge piping. Revhard also welded no a cast aluminum elbow onto the compressor outlet.

EDIT: and as you can see my compressor outlet points down instead of forward like in your pic. So yes, you can clock it to any position you want.

Old 06-29-2005, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the info, also how do u "clock" the turbo
Old 06-29-2005, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (c1civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by c1civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks for the info, also how do u "clock" the turbo</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's pretty easy, you just need to loosen the bolts on the backside of the compressor housing, do your business, then retighten the bolts.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

one of the drawback i have found as to running the compressor on the drivers side like moct AC friendly kit is the fact that the downpipes(when larger than 2 inch) come sooo close to the intercooler piping and i had experienced a large amount of heat transfer to the intercooler piping. i ended up wrapping the downpipe and the intercooler piping for added colling assurance.

but i ended up going with the compressor on the drivers side like the above pictures, to me it is just easier to get to things and you dont have stuff criss crossing in front of each other., plus the piping is a tad shorter.

also when you clock the turbo, on some you need to be careful such as turbonetics, they have a tiny seal that sits in a groove, and if not turned slowly and having the bolts loosened up well, it will fall out, and it is hard as hell to get lined up and back in the groove because with the turning of the compressor housing you stretch it out. i always shoot a tiny tad of wd 40 in there and spin it on around
Old 06-29-2005, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the info, its much appreciatted
Old 06-29-2005, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im running the lovefab top mount, with the fullrace back door intercooler. Its a very simple combo, works well.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by c1civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">. But when u look at them, the turbo is facing the other way (the intake side is facing the driver side) when most kits i have seen have the intake side of the turbo facing the driver side.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I admit this confused me.