Notices

turbo and passing smog in CA...possible?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 11:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo and passing smog in CA...possible?

i didn't happen to see this in the FAQ, but i was wondering how bad boosting your car would affect smog in California? is there anything i should look out for? i know they are very strict here and didn't wanna make it impossible to pass smog.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:29 PM
b18c5hatchie

Default Re: turbo and passing smog in CA...possible? (ReggieGrip)

unless it's a carb legal kit i really dont think so good luck
Old 03-01-2006, 02:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo and passing smog in CA...possible? (b18c5hatchie)

It's very possible for it to pass tailpipe emissions. My hatch had very low HC's and NoX when I took it through (Here in DE but, would have passed CA' standards). I had the o2 correction turned on and it did fine. Like stated above the legality of the kit and passing visual may be the problem. Cops in CA know their **** now as well. When they pop hoods they know what to look for. They'll send you to the state ref in a flash.

Phil
Old 03-01-2006, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo and passing smog in CA...possible? (hondaguyef)

well, let's say for example, the greddy turbo kit says it is CARB E.O. 50 state legal http://www.greddy.com/prod_turbo_bolt_on.htm . what would make this legal in CA over any other kit or "pieced together" turbo set-up? i'm not against a kit or anything, it's just way more $$$
Old 03-01-2006, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ReggieGrip &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well, let's say for example, the greddy turbo kit says it is CARB E.O. 50 state legal http://www.greddy.com/prod_turbo_bolt_on.htm . what would make this legal in CA over any other kit or "pieced together" turbo set-up? i'm not against a kit or anything, it's just way more $$$ </TD></TR></TABLE>

its got a CARB sticker.

from how i understand it...
companies like aem, dc sport, greddy, etc pay the Cali Air Resource Board to test their products (intake, header, turbo kit) to make sure it complies with smog restrictions and if they pass they get approved.

kinda like how motorex has to pay the dmv for the r&d on crash tests and what not on skylines in order to import them over here.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo and passing smog in CA...possible? (raceACCORDingly)

hmmm, i guess that makes sense then. so does anyone know of any other CARB compliant kits besides of Greddy's kit? also, how much can i "upgrade" the greddy kit and still keep it CARB? i want to boost my car, but not at the expense of not being able to smog it.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You can buy greddy CARB stickers on here.

Click Here

Phil
Old 03-01-2006, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

In order for the Greddy kit to be smog legal, it must be ran as the kit came (no inter-cooler), and at stock boost settings. However, would a smog ref. really know the difference between 7psi, and 12psi as long as it passes the tail-pipe test?
Old 03-01-2006, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo and passing smog in CA...possible? (Tornadom)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tornadom &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">In order for the Greddy kit to be smog legal, it must be ran as the kit came (no inter-cooler), and at stock boost settings. However, would a smog ref. really know the difference between 7psi, and 12psi as long as it passes the tail-pipe test?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i agree about the psi, but anyone could obviously see the intercooler (which i was hoping to add on). i guess my next question would be, would it be possible just to take your intercooler off for the smog? will it still run right if you have had an intercooler on there and just take it off all of a sudden?

Also, how much psi can the turbo in the greddy kit push out? i think the one i was looking at was the 18g turbo.

thanks again to everyone that has been answering my questions..it has been very helpful
Old 03-01-2006, 01:21 PM

Default Re: turbo and passing smog in CA...possible? (hondaguyef)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaguyef &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Cops in CA know their **** now as well. When they pop hoods they know what to look for. They'll send you to the state ref in a flash.

Phil</TD></TR></TABLE>

No joke, I got my hood popped in san jose, and the cop spotted everything!!! he even knew that I had a cracked ringland because i was blowing smoke out of my tailpipe...******
Old 03-01-2006, 01:33 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: turbo and passing smog in CA...possible? (Deluzional)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Deluzional &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No joke, I got my hood popped in san jose, and the cop spotted everything!!! he even knew that I had a cracked ringland because i was blowing smoke out of my tailpipe...****** </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah! Screw police officers who do their jobs well and don't want children breaking the law!

Oh wait. That's their job
Old 03-01-2006, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ReggieGrip
Is there anything i should look out for? i know they are very strict here and didn't wanna make it impossible to pass smog.
Any turbocharged vehicle can pass smog, a turbo doesn't create any more horsepower if fuel is not added at combustion. All the turbo does is forcefully induct more air to add to the fuel, or vice-versa. Just because a vehicle has a turbo, doesn't mean it can't pass smog, CARB approved or not! I repeat, any turbocharged vehicle can pass smog, even if you have to convert it to propane injection.

Originally Posted by vtakvtrak
hazw8st is da ****, he knows his smog.
Originally Posted by SleeperDC2_ZzZ
go to hazw8st for help on smog.
Originally Posted by Go_HIN
hazw8st definitely hooked it up. I tipped him good.
Originally Posted by efboy
hazw8st got it all straighten out ! anybody need help with smogging ur jdm swaps hit up hazw8st !
Originally Posted by MikeEM1
hazw8st took care of me too! hit him up people.
Originally Posted by xx89civicracer89xx
good joke hazw8st.
Originally Posted by Lauj87
hazw8st knows how to do it the legal way.
Originally Posted by DAb20vtec
hazw8st hooked me up! smog exempt is the ****!
Originally Posted by Takeoff
email hazw8st he can really help u with this. He smogged and registered my 240sx when no one else could.
Originally Posted by NightRider-gsR
Add me to one of hazw8st's SMOG list.
Most definitely will refer my peoples to him!! Great guy to work with!
He should be HT's SMOG go to guy! NO JOKE.
RHD, swaps, turbo...As long as your car ain't a joke, he will hook you up!
Originally Posted by christhereefer
I'll vouch for Hazw8st. He's legit as can be. no more ref. tickets again and no more smog checks.
Originally Posted by rsxk24
hazw8st is legit, give him all your money. he can legally smog a k24 turbo with no cat and open exhaust!
Originally Posted by code47mastermind
For all of you wondering if hazw8st is legit. He totally is. He helped me out. My tags and registration are now up to date and legal. Not only that, but he is also a real good guy.

Modified by hazw8st at 9:09 AM 12/30/2006
Old 03-01-2006, 01:45 PM

Default Re: turbo and passing smog in CA...possible? (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah! Screw police officers who do their jobs well and don't want children breaking the law!

Oh wait. That's their job </TD></TR></TABLE>

youre absolutely right...but i believe theres more crime or emergencies that should be dealt with on the streets than kids with lowered cars or kids running around with no front license plates
Old 03-01-2006, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Deluzional &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">youre absolutely right...but i believe theres more crime or emergencies that should be dealt with on the streets than kids with lowered cars or kids running around with no front license plates </TD></TR></TABLE>

I hear that.O(nce in a while it would be aight but they do it all day long.They MUST have better things to do, or I would hope they do.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Deluzional &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

youre absolutely right...but i believe theres more crime or emergencies that should be dealt with on the streets than kids with lowered cars or kids running around with no front license plates </TD></TR></TABLE>

Remember that registration, insurance, tickets and citations are all huge money makers. The local municipalities have to bring in some revenue. That revenue is forcefully taken from the middle and bottom tiers in scoiety that do not consult with attorneys and who have the "pay-up and go" mentality. Police officers do clean up the streets and are a great asset to our society, however, the police and courts have to bring in a revenue, and the criminals don't pay their restitution, so that leaves you and me to dish out some dough.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo and passing smog in CA...possible? (hazw8st)

so that link that was posted in this topic for the Greddy CARB plaques...do you think cops in california (more specific san jose/bay area) would know the difference or would they just trust that it's legit? also, when getting smogged...do they run those numbers on the plaques or just say that it has one?
Old 03-01-2006, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ReggieGrip &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so that link that was posted in this topic for the Greddy CARB plaques...do you think cops in california (more specific san jose/bay area) would know the difference or would they just trust that it's legit? also, when getting smogged...do they run those numbers on the plaques or just say that it has one?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No....
Old 03-01-2006, 04:00 PM
476 whp / 323 tq @ 17 PSI

the greddy kit is legal when you bolt up the basic kit and drive without any modification. when u start to turn up the boost, get bigger injectors, install an intercooler, or install a BOV, thats when its illegal.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo and passing smog in CA...possible? (JDM turbo DC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM turbo DC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the greddy kit is legal.</TD></TR></TABLE>
CARB certification and smog legality is different. Just because it is CARB certified, doesn't mean it passes smog.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:58 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hazw8st &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
CARB certification and smog legality is different. Just because it is CARB certified, doesn't mean it passes smog.</TD></TR></TABLE>

if u bolt up the kit with no modification to ur exhuast like ur cat and muffler, it will pass smog
Old 03-01-2006, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: turbo and passing smog in CA...possible? (Tornadom)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tornadom &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">In order for the Greddy kit to be smog legal, it must be ran as the kit came (no inter-cooler), and at stock boost settings. However, would a smog ref. really know the difference between 7psi, and 12psi as long as it passes the tail-pipe test?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I wish people would quit posting this crap. The small intercooler IS legal... at least it is on the SOHC kits and I am pretty sure the DOHC kits have passed cert also.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:13 PM

Default Re: turbo and passing smog in CA...possible? (Hybrid93Eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I wish people would quit posting this crap. The small intercooler IS legal... at least it is on the SOHC kits and I am pretty sure the DOHC kits have passed cert also.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea, ive seen the carb number for the intercoolers on civic, but the type31 greddy intercooler on a integra doesnt pass.

here are some paperwork about the carb sticker on the greddy kit... http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/after...7.pdf
Old 03-02-2006, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo and passing smog in CA...possible? (JDM turbo DC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ReggieGrip &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was wondering how bad boosting your car would affect smog in California? Is there anything I should look out for to pass smog.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Original question had to do with CARB/BAR smog laws.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ReggieGrip &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well, let's say for example, the greddy turbo kit says it is CARB E.O. 50 state legal http://www.greddy.com/prod_turbo_bolt_on.htm . what would make this legal in CA over any other kit or "pieced together" turbo set-up? i'm not against a kit or anything, it's just way more $$$ </TD></TR></TABLE>

GReddy sympathizer.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by raceACCORDingly &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
companies like aem, dc sport, greddy, etc pay the Cali Air Resource Board to test their products (intake, header, turbo kit) to make sure it complies with smog restrictions and if they pass they get approved.

kinda like how motorex has to pay the dmv for the r&d on crash tests and what not on skylines in order to import them over here.</TD></TR></TABLE>

First part is very true, except the R&D on turbo kits is not done by the vendor, it is done by the turbo manufacturer. Also, Motorex went underground because they had some technical issues with their NTSHA testing. And, Motorex doesn't pay the DMV anything extra besides the registration fees.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaguyef &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can buy GReddy CARB stickers on here.

Click Here

Phil</TD></TR></TABLE>

People get so caught up on name brands. All I can say is alot of people on this forum are brand hoars. Just because GReddy puts their name on it, doesn't mean it's any better than another turbo kit, GReddy doesn't put money into R&D, KKK, Garrett, Air Research, Holset and Turbonetics pay for the R&D, GReddy, AEM and DC Sport just put their names on the end product. Get over the name brand hoaring and the CARB certification worries, wake up, you're going to pass smog anyways!
Old 03-02-2006, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hazw8st &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Original question had to do with CARB/BAR smog laws.

GReddy sympathizer.

First part is very true, except the R&D on turbo kits is not done by the vendor, it is done by the turbo manufacturer. Also, Motorex went underground because they had some technical issues with their NTSHA testing. And, Motorex doesn't pay the DMV anything extra besides the registration fees.

People get so caught up on name brands. All I can say is alot of people on this forum are brand hoars. Just because GReddy puts their name on it, doesn't mean it's any better than another turbo kit, GReddy doesn't put money into R&D, KKK, Garrett, Air Research, Holset and Turbonetics pay for the R&D, GReddy, AEM and DC Sport just put their names on the end product. Get over the name brand hoaring and the CARB certification worries, wake up, you're going to pass smog anyways!</TD></TR></TABLE>

i totally agree with you. the first thing i was planning to do if i was going to boost my car was piece it together myself so i would save a good chunk of change. the only other thing that occured to me is that i live in CA and i know they are a bitch about smog/emissions/upgrades for your car. i know i will have a "clean tailpipe", but i was just worried if they pop open the hood and don't see a C.A.R.B. sticker/plaque/etc..they are automatically not going to pass my car. kinda like if your "check engine" light is on, they will automatically fail you on a smog test, regardless if your car is physically able to pass smog or not (this happened to my girlfriend's car in CA).

i mean, i have never had a vehicle smogged in CA yet. i am from NV and my car is still currently registered in NV, but i need to switch the plates/registration this September to CA, because my registration runs out in NV. i guess i just don't know what to expect from getting my car smogged in CA, 'cause i've never been down that road and i don't want to do anything that will prohibit it from passing smog due to it being my only ride at the moment.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ReggieGrip &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i totally agree with you. the first thing i was planning to do if i was going to boost my car was piece it together myself so i would save a good chunk of change. the only other thing that occured to me is that i live in CA and i know they are a bitch about smog/emissions/upgrades for your car. i know i will have a "clean tailpipe", but i was just worried if they pop open the hood and don't see a C.A.R.B. sticker/plaque/etc..they are automatically not going to pass my car. kinda like if your "check engine" light is on, they will automatically fail you on a smog test, regardless if your car is physically able to pass smog or not (this happened to my girlfriend's car in CA).

i mean, i have never had a vehicle smogged in CA yet. i am from NV and my car is still currently registered in NV, but i need to switch the plates/registration this September to CA, because my registration runs out in NV. i guess i just don't know what to expect from getting my car smogged in CA, 'cause i've never been down that road and i don't want to do anything that will prohibit it from passing smog due to it being my only ride at the moment.</TD></TR></TABLE>

For the time being, you can keep Nevada plates as long as you claim you still live there and work in California. But, sooner or later you'll have to switch to California plates and deal with the infamous California DMV. Good luck.

Quick Reply: turbo and passing smog in CA...possible?