Notices

Turbo Mounting??

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turbo Mounting??

I been learning about turbo's for a while now etc etc just to find small facts in order to turbo charge my DOHC ZC with random parts etc etc and make me DIY kit for under 1k if possible....etc etc..

well I been thinking on how to mount my turbo (1jz supra OEM turbo)...I know you might ask, what the **** is this kid thinking etc etc...it goes up front right under/infront of the head....well NO ****.... but I recently went to a shop in town and saw them mount a turbo under the intake manifold.....anyone ever done this??

My thoughts on my future set up: 92 Hatch w/ DOHC ZC

SOHC ex manifold with stock head shield up front... ran down under the car and back up to the turbo I'm running......yeah a lil custom work shall need to be done to the manifold, but seems simple right??

I can mount my battery in the hatch, and plumb a intake with filter up to where the battery used to be......sound good??

Mount the DSM side mount intercooler like a stock air box and run the piping back to the turbo..... seems kinda stealth right?? I know I'd have to get a hood scoop or something or put the SMI where a CAI filter would go, and plumb up the piping up like a CAI to the TB, and them something over to the turbo under the intake manifod...

The reason I'm thinking about this is that I want to keep my AC and its a tight fit up front......

I just want opinions for now....I'm in no hurry to turbo my car just look at diff factors....and finding something to kill time at work......
Old 02-09-2004, 07:45 AM

Default Re: Turbo Mounting?? (SloCivicHMM)

My opinion on the situation:

Do you have pictures of a Honda with the turbo mounted under the IM? I guess its possible but it's not the most practical application for a space saver. I think you'd save money buying a cast sidewinder manifold, and you'd be able to retain your AC. I don't know how well modifiying a stock SOHC EX manifold would be, but fabricating something would be expensive. You'd also loose some exhaust gas velocity because it has the travel the distance under the engine. The last thing you should consider is intercooler piping. If you could plumb it to the front of the car from behind the intake manifold, it could work, or you could use a top mount intercooler and a roof scoop(edit: hood scoop..playing too much underground on xbox lately haha), which would be different. Also, I didnt consider any **** under the intake manifold like engine mounts that might be in the way, you'll have to find the space to mount the turbo, and it will most likely need custom braces because if the manifold is going under the engine and supporting a turbo, It will be prone to cracking, imo. You'll also have to make a custom exhaust and stuff.

I think it's not the most practical space saver, but if your really into originiality and fabrication, plan it out and take a shot at it. Let me know what you think...

Modified by jmagner at 3:00 PM 2/9/2004
Old 02-09-2004, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Mounting?? (jmagner)

I'll see if I can get pics...
Old 02-09-2004, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All i have to ask is why???
Old 02-09-2004, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Mounting?? (TravSi)

WHY?? you should ask why noT?? .....

people go for the norm think out the box people.....

sorry just venting....

reason being is I don't want to spend 400 plus on a manifold when I can modify an OEM exhuast manifold and have the turbo in the back so it clears my ac etc etc....I"m just looking at different options......

don't hate guys, just add to the discusion...thx!
Old 02-09-2004, 10:54 AM

Just a thought, if saving money is a primary concern, you might have trouble doing that with a custom setup like this, because the parts you need will all have to be custom fabricated and that stuff adds up.

I don't want to sound like I'm just giving reasons this wouldn't work, because it could, but doing it just depends on your skills and how much money you have.
Old 02-09-2004, 02:01 PM

The reason I ask why is very simple....the materials to do that will cost a decent amount of money I would think unless you wont wanna use quality stuff....Another reason is there is like no room back there, where would you put it? and still get to oil filter and things....It would just be the biggest bitch in the world, and then you would say dang why didnt i just do it the way everyone else is doing it and "not think so far out of the box".....Could be done but I wouldnt want the hassle, KISS method is where its at!
Old 02-09-2004, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Mounting?? (TravSi)

on my swap there is alot of room......I need to relocate the oil filter due to the oil cooler I neeed to run for roadracing, etc etc.....
Old 02-09-2004, 02:09 PM
Vice President/CEO

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jmagner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just a thought, if saving money is a primary concern, you might have trouble doing that with a custom setup like this, because the parts you need will all have to be custom fabricated and that stuff adds up.

I don't want to sound like I'm just giving reasons this wouldn't work, because it could, but doing it just depends on your skills and how much money you have.</TD></TR></TABLE>

^-He's got a valid point there... if your not looking to spend very much $$ why would you even conceive of taking on a task that will undoubtedly require long hours of fabrication and alot money... just does not make sense...

Thinking out of the box is good, but don't go living inside of it exspelling reality.
Old 02-09-2004, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Mounting?? (kKdARIAN)

true guys, very true, thats why I want opinions......

look at it this way, buying a mani for a d series for the front of the car thats good etc etc and will allow me to keep my a/c......atleast 400 maybe more...right?? and that quality..

and EX exhuast manifold used (free-40 bucks)....by the time it clears the motor near the rear or under the intake mani......its at 1 pipe right?? All I need is 1-90 degree mandrel bent pipe and a lil welding, and its going up for me to mount the turbo...but I'd still need to buy a t3 flange...30 bucks... that should be under 100 bucks....my friend does simple welding like that...ya know?
Old 02-09-2004, 03:49 PM

Your idea about the manifold seems straight-forward, but theres more involved than just the manifold as well. You'll need to fabricate the downpipe, assuming theres room for it. I'm not sure exactly how much space your working with on your car, but its generally a tight place back there. If your that interested, get under your car and take a pic of the room your working with. If your motor isnt in the car it wil be difficult to picture.
Old 02-09-2004, 03:55 PM

Isn't the intake and exhaust of the motor swapped on the new k-series motors... That would put the turbo inbetween the firewall and engine...
-PHiZ
Old 02-09-2004, 04:09 PM

Couple thoughts here: You would loose some heat energy because of the extra long gap. Heat energy is important in driving the turbine wheel. So more heat energy more and quicker spool up time. Secondly if you planned on running an intercooler, it would be a huge pain in the butt to fabricate those pipes, not to mention an added cost. Thirdly if you want the best bang for the buck, do what works the best, and this option doesn't seem like this would be that option.

Jake D.
Old 02-09-2004, 04:12 PM

Why the hell would you do this?

The closer the turbo is to the exhaust port, the better its going to work and the faster it is going to spool. Not only that, but you want to minimize the piping as much as necessary. f you mount the turbo back there, you will have more exhaust piping (heat and energy loss), AND you will need longer intercooler piping to get to the front of the car and then back to the intake manifold.

Look at any car that is designed to have a turbo; they put them all in the same place for a reason. It's the most efficient location, and you you're going to spend 3k+ on a mod you damn well want to make it as efficent as possible.

Whether or not you're "different" is irrelevant. When a guy with a regular, more efficient turbo setup smokes you because his car spools earlier and makes more power, are you going to say "yeah, but mine is in a more different place."
Old 02-09-2004, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (kpt4321)

ummmm 3k?? this is a "Home made" turbo project....

if ya read the post I don't want an intercooler up front, I might mount it like the stock airbox, close to the tb...

I'm not fighting or anything just food for thought for everyone.....

also, someone said that I'll loose heat energy or what not, but what about the drag guys that I see with long turbo mani's that place the turbo by the passenger fender etc etc.......those aren't right next to the head......hmmmm??

I'll post pics and see whats up...
Old 02-09-2004, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SloCivicHMM)

I scored my AC retaining drag manifold used for 250$ shipped to the door, and it looks and works great. Keep your eyes open for deals on used parts. Used parts are KEY to a budget setup. Cast iron is great mani-material.

Good luck.

Matt.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Mounting?? (PHiZ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PHiZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Isn't the intake and exhaust of the motor swapped on the new k-series motors... That would put the turbo inbetween the firewall and engine...
-PHiZ</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly what I was thinking....

-Ryan
Old 02-10-2004, 05:29 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SloCivicHMM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if ya read the post I don't want an intercooler up front, I might mount it like the stock airbox, close to the tb</TD></TR></TABLE>

How do you plan on getting air to the intercooler.....cause without air getting to it, it will just be a heat box under yur hood and you might as well ditch the whole intercooler idea, its ok to be creative but you have to think efficiently, cost, maintenance....If it was then there would have been guys who would have done it, guranteed!!.....
Old 02-10-2004, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I really don't understand the point of this....you'll have enough headaches with the turbo once the car is running(LOL) so why make even more before you even put it on?? there are tons of A/C compatible manis out, maybe even shell out to have a custom sidewinder made by tinker, but this whole idea seems more trouble than worth. somtimes people think waaay to hard about stuff
Old 02-10-2004, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TravSi)

me and my friend thought about this.....lil hood scoop, nothing major or ricey just a lil hood scoop to feed the I/C etc etc....plus I have the hood spacer trick cuz my suspension won't clear my hood, so I got a good amount of air going in the bay.....

this discussion is going great, I love the facts and pro's and con's you guys are throwing out and it hasn't become a flame fest......
Old 02-10-2004, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

a friend of mine was running that similar IC setup on his Integra(SMIC in place of battery)...he said it wasn't very efficient at all and got heat soaked easily. he had planned to add a fan, but eventually just went FMIC...if anything if mounted under the hood, at least convert the SMIC to a AWIC like this thread--&gt;
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=760530
I'm still tyring to understand the point off all this unecessary work your planning for yourself...good luck
Old 02-10-2004, 09:10 AM

You can't just say "there is fresh air in there, it will be good."

And intercooler needs high velocity airflow ducted through it. I'd like to see you get 70 mph+ of airflow under the hood.

If you are content on making a more expensive setup that will be harder to build, then be my guest. It'll just be that much easier to beat you at the track or on the street.