Notices

Turbo LS vs. Turbo LS/V-TEC

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo LS vs. Turbo LS/V-TEC

IM TURNING THIS THREAD INTO YOUR LS TURBO AND LS VTEC TURBO BUILDS. SHOW ME WHAT YOU GUYS GOT HAVE. POST YOUR DYNO NUMBERS IF YOU CAN AND LIST OF MODS. Im not trying to copy the turbo ls post. This is for my own reference i just wanna see what you guys got and what these setups put out. THANKS!

Last edited by lsdb1; 02-03-2009 at 08:17 AM.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:51 AM

Default Re: Turbo LS vs. Turbo LS/V-TEC

can i get some help here guys thanks??????
Old 01-31-2009, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the "vtec option" isnt a big deal. Its just a solenoid thing that you hook up to the outside of the head. Your best option seems to be to fit the vtec onto the ls head.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LSTEG96
the "vtec option" isnt a big deal. Its just a solenoid thing that you hook up to the outside of the head. Your best option seems to be to fit the vtec onto the ls head.
Are you serious. Thats the dumbest thing that I have ever heard. Its more than just the vtec solenoid. The b16 head flows way better than the ls head. You would have to build the ls head just to flow equal to a stock b16 head. The cam profile is more agressive on the b16 head obviously so it will make more power up top in the rpm range. There is no way you can just slap a vtec solenoid on an ls head. I guess this is where honda-tech has gone
Old 01-31-2009, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wow please never give anyone advice again. Anyway what kind of power are you looking to make? simple answer is the vtec head will make more power, do you need it to hit 300hp on a stock block no, but it will take less boost to do it with the vtec head
Old 01-31-2009, 11:47 AM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Just WOW. And he has over 2,000 posts.
Maybe I can put a V8 badge on my car so it will have 8 cylinders.

As boostedeg302 explained, the B16 head flows much better than the stock LS. Not on will you benefit on the flow, but you also will reap big gains when the vtec activates and your valves open up more for the higher RPM range. You also will have a lot more cam choices to chose from for the vtec head.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

maybe this guy is on to something, all this time everyone has been going threw all the work of a head swap and paying for a lsvtec kit and all we had to do was duck tape a vtec solenoid to the head.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 01-31-2009, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it can only help
Old 01-31-2009, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

to all the noobs ^, lsteg96 is CLEARLY joking.

lol!

to OP- is this a real question or are you joking
Old 01-31-2009, 09:37 PM

thanks guys, now im going with the GT35r Garrett turbo. I know its turbo that spools late in the powerband so i want to go with either GSR or ITR cams because of the more aggressive profile and the extended RPM range and want to make full use and get the full effecincy out of the turbo. Is this a good idea, and also how much of a build should I go with to get around 400 hp out of this turbo, because I heard this turbo on stock internals pushes around 350hp, once again thanks guys and all opinions appreciated
Old 01-31-2009, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i make 360 on 12 psi with a 35r with a .63 hot site. Spool is 5500 for 18 psi, 5k for 12 psi.

if you get a bigger hot side, your spool time will increase but top end will be gained

you just need eagle rods and a piston of your choice(wiesco, JE, CP, arias)

a 35r is good for around 700 with the right setup, who told you 350?
Old 01-31-2009, 11:22 PM

That sounds great. I want to run at least 400 on pump gas and still want it to be pretty reliable. I don't want this setup shitting the bed six months or so down the road. And what do u mean by the "hot" side (sorry if its a dumb question) the turbine chamber or the compressor chamber??? and also whats ur suggestion on compression??? ive been advised on 9.0:1 and if so do u have an idea what kind of overall comp that'll make with the B16 head??? thanks
Old 02-01-2009, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i got 9.0 wisecos with b16 head on crower billit rods.

hot side=turbine side
Old 02-01-2009, 09:41 AM

i love my ls vtec
Old 02-01-2009, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by turbociv910
i got 9.0 wisecos with b16 head on crower billit rods.

hot side=turbine side
ok....I see you're running ur block on stock sleeves and makin 500hp??? is that daily or just for the dyno???
Old 02-01-2009, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

daily driver on 12 psi, take it to the track with high boost.

a daily driver with 500whp is stupid.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:39 PM

yeah def.....so what are you making off of 12 pounds and your setup??
Old 02-01-2009, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

make sure you pay attention to his management.... IMO if you have money for a motec than a 750$ sleeve job would give me a little piece of mind at that power level...
Old 02-01-2009, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by srmofo
make sure you pay attention to his management.... IMO if you have money for a motec than a 750$ sleeve job would give me a little piece of mind at that power level...
yes, you are correct^, im going to run it this season then rebuild it
Old 02-01-2009, 08:44 PM

Do you guys think I should go with ITR cams with the high revs they offer along with an aftermarket valvetrain. With this setup, an aftermarket IM, bigger injectors, rods, and pistons should this be reliable at about 15 lbs with the GT35r???????
Old 02-01-2009, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the stock b16 IM is fine if you don't want to spend the money on it.
Injectors and a fuel pump for sure. Recommend peak and hold injectors, less likely to fail.
Do some searching on your rods and pistons, I'm not an ls/vtec guy, but stock on my gsr which is about 10 to 1 comp. I made 350 whp on 10 psi.
What exhaust manifold are you going to be going with?
Old 02-01-2009, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by connor53
the stock b16 IM is fine if you don't want to spend the money on it.
Injectors and a fuel pump for sure. Recommend peak and hold injectors, less likely to fail.
Do some searching on your rods and pistons, I'm not an ls/vtec guy, but stock on my gsr which is about 10 to 1 comp. I made 350 whp on 10 psi.
What exhaust manifold are you going to be going with?
Thanks, what size injectors should i go with??? and also i don't have a full setup yet. I'll just have the turbo this week but i wanna do all of my research before i buy everything. Im not to sure about the manifold, not sure whats a good brand or what not, I was gonna go with a ebay intercooler since they r so pricey and im not sure about the rest of the setup. Im piecing my setup together and getting opinions on each peice along the way so i can get the best setup for my power and reliability goals. That's good power on the setup ur running, I want to be able to make about 400 with the mods that i want to go with on pump gas
Old 02-01-2009, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's on pump. On C16 I EASILY could've hit 400, or even with e85.
I personally have 750cc peak and holds. More reliable then saturated. If you don't already know, their is SOOOO much more you're going to have to do and read up on. Not trying to be a jerk. But their is alot of things you might be able to learn just by searching and not necesarily just asking for questions ya know? I know alot of people on here are willing to help...but a lot will flame.
For 400 whp you're going to need everything from a 3 bar map sensor, to a non ebay intercooler lol. Those are garbage and very inefficient. Do some searching in the for sale threads and see if you can snag a nice garret, pwr, or precision. You're gonna need oil lives and intercooler piping, clutch, a resistor box for the p&h injectors..the list goes on and on lol.
As far as manifold. I've been quite suprised at some of the power some of these guys are making with basic manifold all the way to the top mount like myself...depends on what you want after you do your own personal research.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by connor53
That's on pump. On C16 I EASILY could've hit 400, or even with e85.
I personally have 750cc peak and holds. More reliable then saturated. If you don't already know, their is SOOOO much more you're going to have to do and read up on. Not trying to be a jerk. But their is alot of things you might be able to learn just by searching and not necesarily just asking for questions ya know? I know alot of people on here are willing to help...but a lot will flame.
For 400 whp you're going to need everything from a 3 bar map sensor, to a non ebay intercooler lol. Those are garbage and very inefficient. Do some searching in the for sale threads and see if you can snag a nice garret, pwr, or precision. You're gonna need oil lives and intercooler piping, clutch, a resistor box for the p&h injectors..the list goes on and on lol.
As far as manifold. I've been quite suprised at some of the power some of these guys are making with basic manifold all the way to the top mount like myself...depends on what you want after you do your own personal research.
????@ oil lives and resistor box.....im not a complete whiz on this **** so i ask all the questions i can lol. and also whats a bar map sensor?? heard of it so many times but not quite sure....

Quick Reply: Turbo LS vs. Turbo LS/V-TEC