Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Kit Q's!

ok i have my turbo and intercooler....

i know i need...
-intercooler piping
-exhaust manifold
-waste gate/BOV...arent they the exact same thing?

and i have a full 3'' custom exhaust im doing for it at my girl friends dads exhaust shop i love girl friends...and the exhaust is FREE!!! whatever i want haha lol!!!

let me know.

thanks, Casey
Old 12-07-2008, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

So, um...what's your question?? If its just about the wg/bov, they are different. WG goes on the exhaust manifold, and dumps excess exhaust to control boost. BOV releases chargepipe pressure when you let off of the throttle after making boost.

Read the FAQ in the top of this forum. All basic and intermediate questions are answered. And NO, its not too much to read.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:06 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

From this sentence forward, assume that eBay-brand items are the devil, and will curse you for the rest of your life. Stay away from them period. if you want to get some of the better quality items for a lower price, check out the Honda-tech classifieds: Forced Induction. you'd be suprised what you find.

The recommendations I'm making will work whether you have a B,D,H, or K series engine, and are assumed that you are not using a turbocharger or intercooler from another OEM make or model to make your "kit". (such as DSM turbochargers or intercoolers) Any such OEM turbocharger applications you plan to use from these companies ( I'll say up front will HAVE TO BE MADE TO FIT YOURSELF), to ensure fitment.

No. The wastegate and BOV are 2 separate items. There are many others on the market you can research, but TiAL has a very good lineup that will work for you.

At the minimum, your exhaust manifold and intercooler piping need to come from the same source company, whichever you decide. This ensures that the turbocharger that you use (depending upon the compressor outlet) will fit correctly with both the manifold and intercooler you plan to use (if it is a "universal fit intercooler"). The intercooler piping from your kit should have the flange for the BOV you need pre-welded, so make sure you've chosen these parts before hand. Unless you don't mind cutting and rewelding, it will save time and money. The same goes for the flange for the wastegate you plan to use (as I mentioned, most have a TiAL or Turbosmart flange already in place for a certain sized wastegate)

As for your downpipe, i've always recommended going with the one that comes in the pre-fabbed "kit". Make sure you understand whether or not you plan to keep A/c and powersteering, as it may determine the direction of the downpipe. You also have the option (since you're connected with your GF's father) to have your own made, but again, make sure you have the manifold / IC piping first, before making that decision.

Don't forget about injectors. The amount of power that you plan to make will determine the apporpriate size. Rule of thumb: err on going a bit bigger than needed for your power goal. If under 300whp, DSM injectors for the cost CAN WORK, but you'll need to make sure that they have been cleaned and checked for any damage (RC can do those for a small price), and a resistor box to change ohm resistance may be needed depending upon year model chassis and engine you have. You didn't state this, so no one can tell you without you giving more information. I usually steer away from them , unless the engine managment you plan to use will support them. (No AFC or Uberdata hacks will do. ) Chrome Pro, EcTune,Neptune, E-manage, Hondata S200B (with Boost option) and S300 are all viable options. If you want "reliability", it will depend upon your meticulousness to detail, who will install the components, the general health of the engine, and most importantly, the tune. Do not skimp on this aspect of your car, or it will be in the garage or on a street more than it will be driven. Talk with competent tuner to find out what options he/she feels comfortable with, so there will be a flawless transition.

This is a good start, the more information you give, the better we can help. Please do us a favor and make sure ALL your questions and responses are in a few Posts as possible. That way there is no confusion.

GL and welcome to the darkside.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow man thank you a lot!!! very knowledgable and great eplaination...it clears things up and makes me think a little more.

i was planning on making my own IC piping and down pipe because i have access to everything i need. i do a lot of welding a fabrication as well, so im very qualified to do what needs to be done. basically the only thing that will not be custom is the exhaust manifold. but i will have to find a manifold that will line up with that turbo...

OR just cut off the mounting plate on the flange for the turbo then fab my own up and weld it back onto the manifold.

thanks, Casey