Notices

turbo kit...crappy or good?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo kit...crappy or good?

i searched honda tech for help about the turbo kits on ebay... but i couldnt find i straight up answer...so what is the deal with them? is it just the turbo manifold or is it the entire kit?

im looking at one like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/485hp...ht_4398wt_1354

thanks for the help.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:56 PM
Reject Papi

Default Re: turbo kit...crappy or good?

most of the people on here say that the whole kit is junk. i think different. go read alot in the forced induction forum. there's a thread called ls/turbo or something like that. there are people putting down high numbers with el'cheapo turbo kits.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:12 PM

Im sure its good to a point. I've heard mixed review about "ebay" turbos, i've heard manifold has been broken, or turbo has shaft play, but from what i've seen altogether, is that they will work. If you get it tune, you should be fine, without a tune, i've seen things get broken or destroyed. BTW are you going to push out 485whp?
Old 07-12-2009, 06:16 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its crap...there's no two ways about it. Honestly, people are always going to cheap out which is why this setup still exists. If you want to find out the hard way that this setup sucks, then go for it. People around here are beyond the point of arguing and reasoning with others about this. Check the FAQ...you'll see.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The kit itself is not half as bad. I would highly recommend upgrading several main components of the kit including: turbo, wastegate, blow-off valve. Get a Garett turbo instead. Upgrade to a Tial 50mm blow-off valve, and Tial 38mm wastegate. The piping is cool. The intercooler works just fine. The oil lines don't hold up very long and will leak.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:20 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So...the intercooler and piping is ok; therefore, the kit pretty much sucks and should be avoided.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This kit is junk! You get wat you pay for..... You would be better off piecing your own kit together.

here's a pic of the manifold. Just shows how shitty they are!
Attached Images  
Old 07-12-2009, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Ive got a pic of a manifold just like that,lol. I was one of test dummies that bought one when they first hit ebay 7 or 8 years ago (I think its been that long???) it cracked within a couple of hundred miles, my vacuum line is the only thing that kept my turbonetics gate from bouncing down the highway. I welded that thing up 3 times before I threw in the towel. I even added several other braces and it continued to crack. I couldnt give it away, Now im gonna use it to make a header so I can start my new engine NA since it wont be tuned and I wanna break it in hard and immediatly.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I got that pic off h-t lol.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this is how good the ebay kits are! welded this **** up three time then gave in and bought a good mani. good thing my vaccum line wasnt shitty cause it was the only thing holding my tial wastegate on
Attached Images   
Old 07-13-2009, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so what if i buy a legit manifold?
then would the kit be good?

ill probably have about a grand.
could i piece a kit together for that much?
Old 07-13-2009, 12:37 PM

if its your first turbo then jsut buy a good one from a reputable company and although you might not be boosting for under a grand youll be happier because ti will last longer than 200 miles. you get what you pay for.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the only thing that i am still running that is ebay is my turbo and that is starting to blow by oil. i wouldnt even waste your money!
Old 07-13-2009, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you have a grand to spend , you are better off buying a used name brand kit or piecing one together.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if u dont want to piece it together with used stuff which would cost prolly around 2k for good stuff try out

turbokits.com .... peakboost kit
AFI turbo kits both will run around 4k
Old 07-13-2009, 06:04 PM

This topic has beeen beaten to death. I finaly put most of my kit together, and yes it costs a lot more than an eBay kit. If you've read all FAQ's and numerous threads from people with personal experience, then you should be able to make a good decision. Good luck.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bro if you got the money, piece your own kit together. As far as the EBAY Turbo kit, I had one on a daily driver sohc pushing 180whp on 6psi. I found one that came with a Cast Iron Manifold a the piping fit pretty good on a sol. For $700 I had a turbocharged car. I needed money so I sold it to a friend and he says its still good.

Advice:

If you decide to buy the kit, Be very aware that the piping probably doesn't fit and you would have to go get you pipes customized to fit.

Take your turbo to get checked for any shaft play

Cast Iron all the way

There BOV sucks ***.

In the end just remember you get what you paid for. But if your smart, what you paid for will work just fine.. Hint Hint Good Tune
Old 07-13-2009, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was just wondering, if anyone had pictures of a EBAY Cast Iron manifold with those holes in them.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have en ebay kit with a cast iron manifold... i had it for a month and no problems at all.. engine runs real strong.... people always put down ebay kits but if its true wat they say i will find out soon...lol... but i plan on upgrading to a garett turbo soon
Old 07-13-2009, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

other than the mani, turbo, and gate, I would say the kit is almost worth the money for everything else.All those fittings and braided lines and catch cans add up quick.It seems worth it just for everything else.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:18 PM
New User

The ebay turbo kits are not honestly worth the 1k, spend the 1k on a good turbo and buy legit products...
Old 07-13-2009, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

These turbo kit are crappy and cheap. Dont bother. I have a buddy bought those last year and about 6 month the turbo just went out. Shaft play and oil start coming out of the turbo. If you interest in a set of turbo just grab the Turbonetic t3/t4 kit from ebay. That definitly worth the $$$. I bought the turbonetic kit and my buddy bought the generic kind. What you gotta say Turbonetic never let me DOWN...... push 12 at the track with just aftermarket piston and rods.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Turbo is a pos, manifold is a pos, intercooler is a pos, oil line is a pos, piping is a pos, boost controller is a pos, blow off valve is a pos, wastegate is a pos, fan is a pos, turbo timer is a pos, fuel pressure regulator is a pos, catch can is a pos, oil cooler is a pos, fuel filter is a pos, and that coolant sensor bung is a pos.

Replace all this with better stuff though and you should be in decent shape.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i honestly wouldnt put any of those parts on my car besides the intercooler piping, even thats a stretch.

Buy a cast manifold off ebay, 100$ or so. they wont flow that well and you will get boost creep, but at least its not going to fall off into your new turbo. Turbo from cheapturbo.com

intercooler... not sure anymore, i LOVED johnnyracecar's intercoolers, but i think hes gone now (confirm?). they were hand assembled, well made, and CHEAP.

piping, go around to local muffler shops (small ones, not chains), often you will find a guy that will do charge piping for pretty cheap and great quality. generally they have to order piping as exhaust stuff is a tad thick. Also can make a DP for ya

feed/drain lines can be had cheap, look around (the cheap chinese ones are often really weak metal and can strip or even break easily).

get a brand name wastegate and Bov. they dont need to be tial, yes they are good but they are not the only company out there... or join the bandwagon.

tuning, if your lazy get an fmu and missing link. but really it will cost nearly the same price as having your ecu chipped and tuned properly. (crome ftw)

you can build a halfway decent kit for about 1500 this way. the only thing you would need to upgrade would be manifold sometime when you get more money.

although if i won the lotto i would get an ebay kit, fully built motor and just see how long it lasts at max abuse. I'd give it 2 passes for smoke, 3 for cracks
Old 07-13-2009, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ekciviccoupe
These turbo kit are crappy and cheap. Dont bother. I have a buddy bought those last year and about 6 month the turbo just went out. Shaft play and oil start coming out of the turbo. If you interest in a set of turbo just grab the Turbonetic t3/t4 kit from ebay. That definitly worth the $$$. I bought the turbonetic kit and my buddy bought the generic kind. What you gotta say Turbonetic never let me DOWN...... push 12 at the track with just aftermarket piston and rods.
Oh and beware of FAKES, im not sure if its a problem anymroe but there used to be tons of fake brand name turbos on ebay. only way to tell is buy from a reputable source

Quick Reply: turbo kit...crappy or good?