Notices

turbo + insurance

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo + insurance

i have searched and googled and everything but cant seem to find much info.

its pretty much illegal to turbo a car that doesnt come turbo, so with that can you insure a boosted car? or do you lie and then when you wreck they find out and dont pay and you lost lots of money?

I wonder since im looking into boost but want to get the info first.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:53 PM

first of all, its not illegal to put a turbo kit on an NA car
if it was, half this site would be arrested.
yes you can insure a turbo car
Old 01-14-2008, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: turbo + insurance (Aspect)

There are special policies available for vehicles like this. Just simply call your insurance company and speak to them about it. Whatever you do... make sure you don't mention that you street race or take the car to the track. That's a guaranteed policy droper or increase in your rates.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (maximumjohnson420)

the turbo is legal unless you take out the cat. converter and have an open waste gate other than that i contacted my insurance company with the same question and they said that i would be covered if i had valid reciepts for all the parts
Old 01-14-2008, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

not really i had a 96 GSR with some extras nothing crazy just basic bolt ons intake header full exhaust and some suspension work i had all the reciepts and the car got stolen and my insurance only gave me 300 for everything including stereo equipment and wheels and tires some insurance companys may be different i had state farm and thats what they did
Old 01-14-2008, 04:33 PM
ME LOVE U LONG TIME

he must be in cali......
Old 01-14-2008, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tannerLSt)

you can insure your car based on a specified value that you choose. if you feel like your car is worth 40k, then you can insure it for that. you dont have to say "it's got turbo and XXX whp", you can just say it's a show car or whatever you want. they dont really care or know about all the "goodies" .... they get their money and you pay out the nose for this type of insurance.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i asked about that but they told me since it was'nt a classic car did'nt have that option
Old 01-14-2008, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (JBLAZE622)

Then you'd have to ask them HOW you can cover your parts.

In the world of insurance, you can insure basicly anything. More than likely, the agent will have a clue about homeowner/etc policies, stuff like that. I've always been curious about what the law says when the car is covered, gets wrecked, insurance company doesn't pay squat for bolt-ons, but won't allow you to buy back or replace with stock parts.

To answer what I think the OP is asking, to most agents, they see the definition of 'TURBO' as 'higher chance of crashing', not as a part in a $2500+ upgrade. In most cases you'll just get a higher rate in order to get a small % of what you invest in the turbo kit. Whats sad is when we lie, its fraud. When they lie (say parts are covered, then don't pay), its called contractual fine-print.

If you had any idea about how much money insurance companies make, you'd never tell them they are engine parts, but get them covered by a non-auto policy.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i too am worried about this, my car is salvage but a lot of money invested, jdm front/turbo/recaros etc etc. but a salvaged integra will not get me much from insurance at all, regardless that i dropped like 20k on it over time
Old 01-15-2008, 04:00 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (so simple)

Every insurance company is different. You will have to contact them about different coverages. For example in my state (and in most others I believe) Progressive will cover up to 1000$ worth of aftermarket parts standard. Now they say that you need to have the car inspected by the insurance company or a shop to validate the parts are installed on your car. Receipts my not be enough for "installed" parts. Now if you have a laptop sitting in the car when it gets stolen then all you would need is a receipt. I think it's the adjusters call on what you only need a receipt for and what you need the "installation verified" for. You can increase that up to 3000$ for a little more $$ every month but that is the max they will cover.

Now you can also write the policy anyway you want. If you tell them you wanna insure your 3k$ car for 40k$ they will allow you to do that. However, you will pay out the A$$ for this type of policy.

The insurance topic has been covered on this site before as well, try a search.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:44 AM
BCICAN

Default Re: (maximumjohnson420)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by maximumjohnson420 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">first of all, its not illegal to put a turbo kit on an NA car if it was, half this site would be arrested.
yes you can insure a turbo car</TD></TR></TABLE>

It’s more than just the cat, and wastegate. Yes it’s not illegal….the only catch is that you have to play by the book. If you turbo the car, you have to follow all EPA standards that would have been imposed on the manufacturer. Another example is you can not have the BOV vented to the atmosphere; you’d have to re-circulate it. Anyone with an OBDII to OBDI conversion living in an e-check area is automatically illegal whether you have a built engine or just rims. Also, thing about those people who want that ultra-cool Precision 800hp intercooler that cut their bumper support. Sorry cut bumper folk too bad so sad, that’s illegal. So with those few other things in mind, I’d say more than half this site is illegal some way or another.

Another thing to avoid like the plague when trying to get insurance is telling them that you have internal engine mods, i.e. camshafts, pistons, etc. I know that State Farm has it in writing that any car with “reground camshafts,” “bored out engines,” “or other modifications that significantly increase the displacement or power” are not eligible for coverage. Sure you could insure it somehow someway, but you’re going to paying for it dearly.

I’m really curious though, of you who have “easily” received insurance for the turboed car:
- Is it full coverage?
- Did they ask you if it was modified?
- What EXACTLY did you disclose to them about the mods?
Old 01-15-2008, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dunc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dunc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I’m really curious though, of you who have “easily” received insurance for the turboed car:
- Is it full coverage?
- Did they ask you if it was modified?
- What EXACTLY did you disclose to them about the mods?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I hit a tire on the interstate that busted my Si front end and FMIC. at the time I had full coverage on the car. i had someone from the insurance company come look at it. i told them i needed a new front end and new FMIC and gave them pricing for what it would cost to replace it. they did it - no questions asked. i didnt really tell them what the FMIC was for or how it works, just that it was busted and could potentially cause the car to blow up. they didnt ask any questions - took care of it no problem. dont know if i could have pulled that had i said my $2200 42r was broken or anything on that level. guess they didnt care too much about replacing a few hunded bucks worth of intercooler.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:54 AM
BCICAN

Default Re: (Supacharge)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Supacharge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I hit a tire on the interstate that busted my Si front end and FMIC. at the time I had full coverage on the car. i had someone from the insurance company come look at it. i told them i needed a new front end and new FMIC and gave them pricing for what it would cost to replace it. they did it - no questions asked. i didnt really tell them what the FMIC was for or how it works, just that it was busted and could potentially cause the car to blow up. they didnt ask any questions - took care of it no problem. dont know if i could have pulled that had i said my $2200 42r was broken or anything on that level. guess they didnt care too much about replacing a few hunded bucks worth of intercooler.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What did you tell them when you purchased their insurance? Did you just not say anything about the modifications, so they assume it’s stock?
Old 01-15-2008, 08:52 AM

I wouldnt even really tell my insurance company. its not there business lol
Old 01-15-2008, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Notorious RYAN)

just spoke with nationwide insurance on the phone. to insure your car with mods, you just have to do an "option policy", describing what is on the car and receipts of purchase/installation, etc. as long as you prove you have those items, you can insure them. they couldnt tell me an exact percentage of price increase for this type of policy - it is a case by case estimate

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dunc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

What did you tell them when you purchased their insurance? Did you just not say anything about the modifications, so they assume it’s stock?</TD></TR></TABLE>

never told them anything. like i said, i told them the FMIC needed replacing; they didnt "dig" into what it was and i didnt volunteer any information about it.

haha i guess if you wrecked the car and needed the turbo replaced, you could say, "my air intake condensing unit is busted" ... wouldnt that describe a turbo?

if you dont want to insure your car for your mods, just dont mention them. i surely wouldnt go there saying the turbo added an extra 150whp or something of that nature. tell them it's for show. if you want to insure your car for your mods, calculate what you think it is all worth and tell them that. you obviously pay more, but it's a chance you just have to take. on a sidenote, a friend of mine has a sil80 conversion car with a front end that they dont even make anymore and that has to come from japan to start with. the car is blue booked as a 240sx, probably worth 3k. he has it insured for around 15k though - he claims it's not that high as long as you keep a good driving record
Old 01-15-2008, 09:27 AM

Default Re: turbo + insurance (Aspect)

well thanks guys that helps me out a bit, guess im going to need to reserch more.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:49 AM
BCICAN

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Supacharge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you dont want to insure your car for your mods, just dont mention them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

x2 exactly. Just steer clear of giving any indication of engine mondifications. That's generally a red flag to not even offer insurance at all because of the extra risk involved (whether you speed or not). If you are in a crash, then use some of the insurance check to buy the car back so you can rip out the motor and transplant it into a new chasis. Then sell it to a junk yard to recover even more of the cost. This will provide you with the lowest premiums on insurance. It'll just take some extra work on your part if you are ever involved in a total castastrophe.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dunc)

if you sell your parts or your modified car, do you get 100% of the value back, heck no. So if you wreck it why would you expect insurance companies to give you 100% value of the parts you installed.

Its a risk factor thing.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:44 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: turbo + insurance (PrecisionH23a)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PrecisionH23a &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There are special policies available for vehicles like this. Just simply call your insurance company and speak to them about it. Whatever you do... make sure you don't mention that you street race or take the car to the track. That's a guaranteed policy droper or increase in your rates.</TD></TR></TABLE>

if you're looking to add coverage for your aftermarket parts then you're gonna get an increase in your rates anyways...
Old 01-15-2008, 10:58 AM
* B A N N E D *

just because you buy 100k/300k insurance doesnt mean you're gonna get that amount or anywhere near it if your vehicle is deemed a total loss or it is stolen. they go by the book value & salvage value, etc... they have different formulas for different scenarios...

my point is adding aftermarket parts to a stock vehicle technically lowers the book value of your vehicle so therefore if you dont buy extra coverage to cover your loss of your afternmarket parts there is NO gaurantee that YOUR insurance company is going to cover your parts when they are lost damaged, or stolen.

your guys need to talk to your agents and/or read your policy contracts instead on creating threads and going on everybodys word...

edit: I work for the one of the largest auto insurance companies in the nation...so I know a little more than the average joe when it comes to insurance...

Modified by EASY101 at 12:11 PM 1/15/2008
Old 01-15-2008, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EASY101)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HamiltonRex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you sell your parts or your modified car, do you get 100% of the value back, heck no. So if you wreck it why would you expect insurance companies to give you 100% value of the parts you installed.

Its a risk factor thing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

according the the auto insurance company that i spoke with on the phone, you would get your value back. example: your honda values at 5k. you put a 5k turbo kit on it. you, as the owner, believe the car is worth 10k now. so you want to insure it for 10k. you do so, and you wreck the car, totalling it. you are reimbursed for what you had it insured for, which is 10k (minus the deductable) you go buy another 5k honda and a 5k turbo kit. value is back. correct me if im wrong please, but i dont think they would depreciate your turbo kit or the value of that kit if you had it insured.

just like when my FMIC was replaced. i gave them the receipt of what a new one costs, and got a check for it. they didnt tell me that since the FMIC was 3 years old that it was only worth half as much as a new one.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EASY101 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

if you're looking to add coverage for your aftermarket parts then you're gonna get an increase in your rates anyways...</TD></TR></TABLE>

exactly. it is all preference. if you would rather pay the rates and have your parts covered, then do it. if not, then dont.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EASY101 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just because you buy 100k/300k insurance doesnt mean you're gonna get that amount or anywhere near it if your vehicle is deemed a total loss or it is stolen. they go by the book value & salvage value, etc... they have different formulas for different scenarios...

my point is adding aftermarket parts to a stock vehicle technically lowers the book value of your vehicle so therefore if you dont buy extra coverage to cover your loss of your afternmarket parts there is NO gaurantee that YOUR insurance company is going to cover your parts when they are lost damaged, or stolen.

Modified by EASY101 at 12:11 PM 1/15/2008</TD></TR></TABLE>

i wont argue with you - im sure you know the ins and outs better than myself. i pose another example though, to illustrate my point of why i disagree. i have a 01 roush stage 3 mustang (i know i know, dont make too much fun of me haha). since roush modifies these cars after they leave the ford factory, the serial numbers reflect that of a mustang GT. roush does not change the serial numbers when they are done, so technically the car shows up as a mustang GT when you run the numbers for insurance. however, they are much more expensive than a standard GT. i have mine insured for alot more then a standard GT. my rates are higher, yes, but if i total the car .... the check wont be for the blue book value of a 01 mustang GT, which is worth about 8k if youre lucky. my only point is that if you couldnt get payback even close to what you insure the car for (and what the rate reflects), then nobody would do it this way.

Modified by Supacharge at 9:22 PM 1/15/2008
Old 01-15-2008, 12:47 PM
* B A N N E D *

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Supacharge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i wont argue with you - im sure you know the ins and outs better than myself. i pose another example though, to illustrate my point of why i disagree. i have a 01 roush stage 3 mustang (i know i know, dont make too much fun of me haha). since roush modifies these cars after they leave the ford factory, the serial numbers reflect that of a mustang GT. roush does not change the serial numbers when they are done, so technically the car shows up as a mustang GT when you run the numbers for insurance. however, they are much more expensive than a standard GT. i have mine insured for alot more then a standard GT. my rates are higher, yes, but if i total the car .... the check wont be for the blue book value of a 01 mustang GT, which is worth about 8k if youre lucky. my only point is that if you couldnt get payback even close to what you insure the car for (and what the rate reflects), then nobody would do it this way.

Modified by Supacharge at 9:22 PM 1/15/2008</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Supacharge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Modified by Supacharge at 9:22 PM 1/15/2008</TD></TR></TABLE>

You're probably very correct in what you're saying...in fact every insurance company varies sometimes with the way they write the policies and the policies that are written sometimes vary from state to state. Coverage limits can even vary from state to state. Laws will vary from state to state in regards to your coverages. Not every insurance company will offer that type of policy in every state...

I think the most important thing to be learned here is for everyone to become educated with what their own insurance company and policy offers to them and to not just assume that everything is covered all the time. By all means, when it comes to your insurance, KNOW what you are buying and KNOW where you are at risk and by how much. That way you know what kind of coverage you need before you even buy the policy. That way you're not having to ask a million and one questions and still not know what you've bought for a policy. In the end you have peace of mind knowing you're protected as much as you want or need to be.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

agreed

Modified by Supacharge at 3:31 AM 1/16/2008