Notices

Turbo Installed - some questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2002, 07:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turbo Installed - some questions

God damn, it took 2 days (BIG thanks to intekragsr for helping me out) but i'm finally boosting .. btw, open downpipe is HELLA LOUD!

anyway, i spilled some coolant when i removed the radiator hose. i took off the radiator cap to refill but the coolant was still filled to the top - i'm pretty sure there is air in the system so my question is how do i bleed coolant?

also when i fired up the car i noticed smoke coming from the manifold area .. is this any cause for concern?

tia

[Modified by Trigun, 8:40 PM 6/14/2002]
Old 06-14-2002, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Turbo Installed - some questions (Trigun)

Could just be excess oil burning off the manifold. See if it goes away in a lil. As for the radiator if you're in front of the car there is a bleeder valve on the bottom left of the radiator. On the back side. There is also a bolt you need to loosen to completely drain the coolant out. You should invest in a helms manual. http://www.helminc.com Best money you can spend on your car.
Old 06-14-2002, 08:00 PM

Default Re: Turbo Installed - some questions (Etylorcen)

i have a helms but i don't have a bleeder valve on my radiator i think (2000 gsr)

the helms doens't really say anything about bleeding coolant ... hmm i might have to double check again though.
Old 06-14-2002, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

don't worry about the smoke till after you get the down pipe my friends zc turbo crx is smoking by the manifold and he doesn't have a down pipe either.....so maybe get the down pipe and it should be ok
Old 06-14-2002, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Installed - some questions (KoRE)

To bleed your coolant, take the radiator cap off and run the car(parked, in neutral, don't drive it down the street ) for about 5 minutes with the heater blasting full hot. You'll see bubblescoming up at the filler neck of the radiator as the air trapped in the heater core circulates out. Your coolant levels hould then drop a bit, so fill it back up when you're done. Repeat as necessary until all the air is gone.
Old 06-14-2002, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Installed - some questions (inspyral)

To bleed your coolant, take the radiator cap off and run the car(parked, in neutral, don't drive it down the street ) for about 5 minutes with the heater blasting full hot. You'll see bubblescoming up at the filler neck of the radiator as the air trapped in the heater core circulates out. Your coolant levels hould then drop a bit, so fill it back up when you're done. Repeat as necessary until all the air is gone.
in addition i have found that it helps to jack up the front of the car as high as possible to actually make the radiator cap the highest point in the system
Old 06-14-2002, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Installed - some questions (racerxadam)

Squeezing the upper radiator hose slightly will help fenagle any air that gets trapped in there, as well.
Old 06-15-2002, 02:16 AM

Default Re: Turbo Installed - some questions (inspyral)

cool thanks

kore: the dp is actually on the car but i have no exhaust. hopefully, the smoke is just from excess junk burning off.

the maxrev mani, turbo, and dp was a bitch to install ... we had to shave ALOT from the block and also both fans are pretty mutilated -the FAL dual fans i got dont fit i'm also getting the thermal installed tomorrow so i don't have to run open downpipe anymore

overall, clearance is pretty tight with every part ... i was actually worried that something might not fit right, especially the manifold and downpipe. everything looks great now and i can't wait to try the car out again tomorrow
Old 06-15-2002, 07:31 AM

it seems kinda wierd, but a lot of people seem to swap out the larger teg radiators for the smaller civic ones. Sell off ur FAL and rediator, then get a single FAL and Civic radiator.