Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

COOLANT LEAKING INTO CHARCOAL CANISTER

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 01:02 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default COOLANT LEAKING INTO CHARCOAL CANISTER

I have an EM1 that has an overheating issue. I found that as i pour coolant into the radiator it runs straight out of the eval canister. There's no coolant in the oil(it's clean) , there is no pressure in the radiator. What can cause this? PLEASE HELP.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:04 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: COOLANT LEAKING INTO CHARCOAL CANISTER

How is that even possible??
What do you mean there's no pressure in the radiator?
Old 07-04-2014, 01:20 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's going straight from the radiator into the charcoal canister, either your block is severely damaged, you have hoses hooked up wrong somewhere, or you're pouring it in the wrong hole.

There's also the remote possibility that you're trolling us.

Post CLEAR pictures of the radiator, as well as the two hoses running to and from it.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:22 PM
The Grumpiest

I'm voting on the remote possibility.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:33 PM
Trial User

not trolling, and my car was overheating and i was able to take the radiator cap off with no problem no steam nothing and the hose taking the hot coolant to the radiator could easily be squeezed together. if the block was cracked wouldn't there be oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil?
Old 07-04-2014, 01:34 PM
The Grumpiest

Originally Posted by 92blm92
I have an EM1 that has an overheating issue. I found that as i pour coolant into the radiator it runs straight out of the eval canister. There's no coolant in the oil(it's clean) , there is no pressure in the radiator. What can cause this? PLEASE HELP.
What you're saying sounds highly doubtful. If you've overheated and damaged the block to that extent then it shouldn't even be running anymore.

Pressure test the block. Recheck the routing of the hoses. You were asked for pictures. Post them. TBH I'd need to see some video to prove that this is just you trolling.

Last edited by grumblemarc; 07-04-2014 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Included first post quote for posterity.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:35 PM
Trial User

i don't have the pics showing the radiator and the hoses. i have a picture of where it was leaking.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:37 PM

Let's start at the beginning. Is this a swap, or is the motor the same one that's been in the car? What, if anything, happened leading up to the massive coolant loss? Have you modified ANYTHING on the motor?

Coolant and oil mixing only happens if the head gasket or sleeve(s) are damaged. A crack elsewhere on the block could let coolant or oil leak freely without mixing. It's time for you to get under the car, have a friend try to fill the radiator, and see where exactly the water is coming from.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:38 PM
The Grumpiest

Originally Posted by 92blm92
i don't have the pics showing the radiator and the hoses. i have a picture of where it was leaking.
Why not? Phones have cameras on them and apps that will let you upload pictures.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:46 PM
Trial User

ok i just got the car the supposedly the engine (b16a2) was just put into the vehicle, and the head was sent to a machine shop and resurfaced and had it put together, but i am going to the shop where the car is being stored for now and take a video to show the full issue and tell you everything i know. i will post the video in about 20 minutes
Old 07-04-2014, 01:54 PM

Sounds like the swap was done incorrectly.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by NotARacist
you have hoses hooked up wrong somewhere...Post CLEAR pictures of the radiator, as well as the two hoses running to and from it.
^Post pictures of how all coolant and vacuum hoses are routed. Was an IACV coolant hose possibly mistakenly connected to the EVAP canister?
Attached Images   
Old 07-04-2014, 03:07 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

You're gonna have a field day rerouting those hoses if you don't know what you're doing.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:10 PM

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess the shop that did the swap fucked it up. Take it back to the shop. It isn't your job to unfuck a "professional's" mistakes.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Take it back to the shop. It isn't your job to unfuck a "professional's" mistakes.
In theory, this^ is the right answer. In practice, it could potentially worsen the matter because the shop has already proven itself to be incompetent. Do you want them doing more damage? I might just cut my losses, and deal with the aftermath in small claims court.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:18 PM
The Grumpiest

Take it back to the shop.
OP said it was sitting IN the shop. "Being stored" were his words so I don't understand the reason why they aren't fixing it.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:20 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

So its not an em1 but a b16a2 swap gone wrong at a shop? Take it back to the original shop.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm having this problem right now my hoses are mixed up and backwards causinng coolant to be dumped into my charcoal canister my engine is a y7 with a y8 intake i provided photos for wear the hoses are currently at
Attached Images          
Old 07-14-2017, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

The canister has two hoses on top. The larger one goes to the hard metal line on the firewall that goes back to the vapor space of the gas tank. The smaller one goes to the purge solenoid mounted on the fuel rail. The canister may have a big hose on the bottom; that one should just be open to the air.

I can't see in your pictures where the hose out of the IACV on the back of the manifold goes. It should go to the large metal coolant pipe that runs across the back of the engine.

In other words the small coolant hose connections are: Intake manifold next to the U shaped bypass hose -> two nipples on the bottom of throttle body -> two nipples on the IACV -> thermostat to water pump pipe
Old 07-14-2017, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mk378
The canister has two hoses on top. The larger one goes to the hard metal line on the firewall that goes back to the vapor space of the gas tank. The smaller one goes to the purge solenoid mounted on the fuel rail. The canister may have a big hose on the bottom; that one should just be open to the air.

I can't see in your pictures where the hose out of the IACV on the back of the manifold goes. It should go to the large metal coolant pipe that runs across the back of the engine.

In other words the small coolant hose connections are: Intake manifold next to the U shaped bypass hose -> two nipples on the bottom of throttle body -> two nipples on the IACV -> thermostat to water pump pipe
the iacv is in the right spot I checked that it's another hose that bringing coolant in the canister I believe I jsut cant see which one or figure it out
Old 07-14-2017, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

got some more photos
Attached Images     
Old 07-15-2017, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

YOUR A GENIUS THIS DOES MAKE SENSE SERIOUSLY I THOUGHT ABOUT IT!!! I went to go fill up my car with gas it wont even let me put gas in there without it clicking every gallon does this information help let me know asap plz
Old 07-15-2017, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Do not drive the car any more until you fix this.

Your last round of pictures didn't show anything useful. On the pipe across the back of the engine, which is full of coolant, there should be a nipple which connects to a hose going to the IACV. Not the canister.

There are three metal lines that run under the car from the gas tank to the engine bay right at the firewall. One goes to the fuel filter, one to the fuel pressure regulator, and one to the canister.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do not drive the car any more until you fix this.

Your last round of pictures didn't show anything useful. On the pipe across the back of the engine, which is full of coolant, there should be a nipple which connects to a hose going to the IACV. Not the canister.

There are three metal lines that run under the car from the gas tank to the engine bay right at the firewall. One goes to the fuel filter, one to the fuel pressure regulator, and one to the canister.
The hose going to the IACV is connected to the hose that runs under the intake manifold heres a video of all the lines i posted to youtube so you can see it better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJ8L...ature=youtu.be
Old 07-15-2017, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

heres the canister
another angle of the canister tell me if any hose is in thee wrong spot
this is the hose leaving the canister going past the firewall
this is a photo above the intake
this by the firewall
another angle of the canister
throttle body nipple to the other hoses with coolant