Notices

Turbo or Insane cams??

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo or All-Motor

Looking for peoples input on whether I should turbo my b16, or whether I should build an all-motor set up. Looking for the pros and cons of each side.

If I do go turbo, how much psi could I run, on the stock block,and what would I be making to the wheels..*Rough Estimate*..without blowing up my motor.
I would rebuild the motor for boost in due time, but im afraid that if I turbo it now before rebuiding the block that my motor will go BOOM.

The reason why im asking is due to the fact that I've been told that I will spend more money to go the N/A route, and yet still make less power.

I'm looking for an 12- 11 second car that i can drive everyday.

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 06-08-2007, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo or All-Motor (Evil04C)

Stock b16, a F-R stg 2gt kit you`ll probably make 3-350whp w/a good tune.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Evil04C &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thanks in advance!!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Boost is the only way thats gona happen. Unless you want to drive a car that is stripped to nothing or has to run on race gas all the time.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:26 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Evil04C &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Looking for peoples input on whether I should turbo my b16, or whether I should build an all-motor set up. Looking for the pros and cons of each side.

If I do go turbo, how much psi could I run, on the stock block,and what would I be making to the wheels..*Rough Estimate*..without blowing up my motor.
I would rebuild the motor for boost in due time, but im afraid that if I turbo it now before rebuiding the block that my motor will go BOOM.

The reason why im asking is due to the fact that I've been told that I will spend more money to go the N/A route, and yet still make less power.

Thanks in advance!!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

12-11 second cars are rarely "daily" in my book. With the power needed for those kinds of times, typically you need at least about 400whp. This is when building the internals of the engine are necessary. Psi of boost means very little. It is the stress for the components that makes the car "break" some components. Also, the quality of the components, installation, and tuning are the keys to successful reliability. The less you "skimp" out on either of these areas, the less enjoyable your experience. Also make sure that the motor and supplementals are in good condition and maintainence before boosting. If you need additional assistance or parts, please let me know .

Enjoy, and good luck with the build.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo or All-Motor (TheShodan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheShodan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">12-11 second cars are rarely "daily" in my book. With the power needed for those kinds of times, typically you need at least about 400whp. This is when building the internals of the engine are necessary. Psi of boost means very little. It is the stress for the components that makes the car "break" some components. Also, the quality of the components, installation, and tuning are the keys to successful reliability. The less you "skimp" out on either of these areas, the less enjoyable your experience. Also make sure that the motor and supplementals are in good condition and maintainence before boosting. If you need additional assistance or parts, please let me know .

Enjoy, and good luck with the build.</TD></TR></TABLE>

My car is daily driven and ran 12's, soon to be 11's I hope. I drove it in the snow last winter, let it sit in the lot at school and work in the cold rain whatever, was caught in hail with it. It has full interior, and weight 2800 with me in it. Ther are also plenty of lighter daily driven hatches that run 11's on stock motors. Hell I have tuned 4 door ek's with y7's that run 13's and get 35+ mpg. I would think any good setup on a stock motor can go 12's and be daily driven and reliable.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:16 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Turbo or All-Motor (SOHCD16y8)

Your the exception.