Notices

Turbo info

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 11:41 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo info

Whats up fellas. Thinking about a turbo in the future so my home work presses starts now. What I'm workin with is my 93 civic hatch ek with a b20 swap. It has a b16 tranny which i plan on putting a LSD in. Motor already has an intake on it but not sure of the brand as of right now. Motors had a cam installed and a few other small mods. At this point I know I want a turbo but know nothing about what's what and where to start and what not to buy. I'm asking for any info and advise any one and every one feels like giving. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:06 AM
EK9

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Turbo info

Start by reading everything in the faqs in the F/I section
Old 04-15-2012, 12:34 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Seriously, there's a HUGE sticky dedicated to turbo Civics, as well as a HUGE and active section dedicated to turbo/superchargers. Forced induction isn't something you can just jump into. Yes, it's technically a bolt on, but the learning curve is much steeper, and there's a lot of reading and learning you'll want to do before you go hitting boost.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:15 AM
Trial User

Your correct. This is why I'm doing home work now. My car runs like a champ right now. There's no way im jumping head over heels into some thing I know nothing about. I am new to this but I will not be doing any thing that's gonna hurt my car
Old 04-15-2012, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Purple-si
At this point I know I want a turbo but know nothing about what's what and where to start and what not to buy.
I am new to this but I will not be doing any thing that's gonna hurt my car
It sounds like the first order or business is to steer you away from ebay knockoff turbo parts. The critical parts to make sure you stick with brand name are:

Turbocharger
Wastegate
Blow off valve

Any of those 3 failing can potentially destroy your motor. Sticking to the following brands will help avoid that.

Turbo - Garrett, Precision, Turbonetics, etc. Nothing under $400 new, as that's probably a chinese knockoff.
Wastegate: Tial, Precision, etc. I always use Tial, never had one fail on me or anyone I know.
Blow off valve: Tial, Greddy, HKS, etc. For this, choose the functionality you need, then a sound you like. Sometimes you have to find a balance between the two.

Other than that, do a lot of reading, especially about the tuning side of the build. The tune is the most important part.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Motors had a cam installed and a few other small mods.
Hopefully you have two cams installed!!!

Originally Posted by Dc4LsTeG
Start by reading everything in the faqs in the F/I section
This!!! And then read 10 more times. Take your time and don't rush anything.

GO-Autowerks is a good place to look for a turbo kit. You need to first figure out you budget and your HP goal.

GL
Old 04-15-2012, 11:07 AM
Trial User

Bix vt. Thank you very much. I was never gonna turn to eBay. There's a reason that stuffs so cheap. You get what you pay for is how I look at it. My goal is to do this right. So I'm not looking for knock off cheap parts. Speed junkie _35. Lol indeed I do. Budget is what ever all this will be paid for by saving my money. It can take as long as it takes to reach what ever goal I set cuz I won't buy cheap worthless crap. So long as some ones willing to take the time money should never be a problem. As For horse power. Idk yet. There's a few load mouth kids here in town with ls1 and up trans ams and cameros I would love to walk all over. I've got em off the line all the way till middle third gear but they always catch up. No biggie. I'm fine with losing. It's the **** they talk after that gets to me. Any ways. I thank you all for all the helpfull info Please keep it coming.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:09 AM
EK9

Uhh thats pretty much everything..start reading the faqs
Old 04-15-2012, 11:22 AM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dont forget suspension, clutch, mounts, brakes. keeping a car in control with that much power will be needed and will also save your life.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:07 PM
Trial User

all i have left on my suspension is the rear camber kit. its all skunk two..it can rail a corner like a dream. i love it. breaks have been upgraded as well. clutch is stage three and mounts will be coming as soon as i pay a loan off. other than knowledge im basically ready for boost. well and money lol.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:16 PM
EK9

Lol you never felt good suspension if you think your skunk2s feel like a dream
Old 04-17-2012, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dc4LsTeG
Lol you never felt good suspension if you think your skunk2s feel like a dream
What suspension do you suggest/have?
Old 04-17-2012, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it can take as long as it takes to reach what ever goal I set cuz I won't buy cheap worthless crap. So long as some ones willing to take the time money should never be a problem.
We need more people with attitudes like this. I bought my turbo kit on the marketplace for $1100 because I was willing to wait and shop around for a deal. I haven't installed it yet because I still have more to learn about honda tuning, as this is my first honda but not my first turbo build. Patience is your friend for sure.

If you want a good example of what happens when someone rushes and tries to skimp on quality, check out the build thread by SirCiviC94.