Notices

turbo honda vs. turbo nissan

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 10:47 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo honda vs. turbo nissan

Right now I drive a turbocharged integra making 230/205 to the wheels.

I've been thinking of getting rid of it and getting a s13 w/ sr20det.

What do you who have had both turboed hondas and turboed nissans think? Advantages of one over the other?

Is rwd alone worth it? I love my teg and after thousands of dollars and a great tuning it runs like stock. Is it really worth making the switch?

Just looking for options from those who have seen both sides.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:58 PM
New User

Default Re: turbo honda vs. turbo nissan (00SilverLS)

i love both, but right at the moment I'm on a Nissan kick. Kinda hard not to be with all our customers being Nissan these days...

There's a different vibe with Nissans, I dunno, hard to explain. The motor itself though is like the 302 of Japan - they got EVERYTHING for that motor, top to bottom.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the sr20det motors are strong and can take a beating. There are a lot of people making 400 WHP on a stock block.

the Nissan does have the Rear wheel drive advantage. with RWD, you don't have to make a gob load of power to make it run 10's. I've seen a high 390 RWHP SR20 run a 10.9 on slicks in an S13. Parts use to be hard to find but now they are easy to find because everyone is jumping on the SR20 bandwagon. Heck, I was one of them but I'm back wiht Honda's now
Old 10-07-2003, 11:00 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: turbo honda vs. turbo nissan (VaporTrail)

vaportrail you'll know this better than anyone..

I have hondata on my teg and love it. If i go to the sr20..what engine management would you reccomend?
Old 10-07-2003, 11:13 PM

look for this video on kazaa,itr vs. silvia,it might change your mind
Old 10-07-2003, 11:15 PM

nissan "ffgeon" has an s13 with a det swap......its just a fun car to drive sliding around everywhere
Old 10-07-2003, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo honda vs. turbo nissan (javierb14)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by javierb14 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nissan "ffgeon" has an s13 with a det swap......its just a fun car to drive sliding around everywhere </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah but the turboes are just "little guys"
Old 10-08-2003, 01:30 AM

Default Re: turbo honda vs. turbo nissan (EF8_Fan)

if cost wasnt an issue i would probably go with the nissan...just to do something new that i havnt messed with.. rear wheel drive is fun..........

but honestly the ease, cheepness, reliability, power, of having a "bad little honda" is equally cool to me....if not more..

but if i were u i would keep building the teg......... **** uve come this far with it.. why not keep going all the way..
Old 10-08-2003, 01:39 AM

Default Re: turbo honda vs. turbo nissan (greekspeed)

Both are awesome. Personal preference.
Old 10-08-2003, 03:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo honda vs. turbo nissan (Unsung EM1)

IMO....Nissans are boring. You should get a GSR or R and stick the FMAX on it ...my biased opinion
Old 10-08-2003, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: turbo honda vs. turbo nissan (MiraiZ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MiraiZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">IMO....Nissans are boring. You should get a GSR or R and stick the FMAX on it ...my biased opinion </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea right.. when's the last time a turbo Honda really got you attention? I'm sorry dude, but there are like 5-6 turbo GS-R's in my immediate area alone

Be original (at least for the next few months), go Nissan.
Old 10-08-2003, 06:13 AM

Default Re: turbo honda vs. turbo nissan (MiraiZ)

Nissan SR30DET all the way... The stock block can handle way more than your teg, and it has the RWD advantage.. Only bad thing is getting prets for it, which isn't that cheap for B-series anyway...

Then again, I'm hammer my civic b/c its a D-series and if it breaks... WHO CARES !!?? It blew a head gasket this weekend and all my friends and people at my work were like "OMG, what are you gonna do now ?? !!", and I'm like " ummm, change it... It only takes 3 hours and if the head is damaged I have 2 spares..".

Cheap, ghetto turbo D-series
OR
put your cash into a much more unique 240sx. ( or both like me, TT stealth R/T and ghetto beater civic ).
Old 10-08-2003, 06:18 AM

Default Re: turbo honda vs. turbo nissan (CRV Monster)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRV Monster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the sr20det motors are strong and can take a beating. There are a lot of people making 400 WHP on a stock block.

everyone is jumping on the SR20 bandwagon. Heck, I was one of them but I'm back wiht Honda's now </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea they are definately a nice platform to work with, but just like there was a big jump for hondas it seems as if many people are starting to swing to the nissan craze and I say let em ......

-Jeff-
Old 10-08-2003, 06:37 AM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Who has all this money to just dump into modding 1 car and then decide "na i think ill go mod this other car instead" and scrap the first car?
Old 10-08-2003, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo honda vs. turbo nissan (Muckman)

haha, the nissan 240sx will be the new civic.. be orginal they say hahah.. whats orginal? there is no orginal anymore, everybody has seen it all.. build your car for what you want, if you want nissan, then go with a nissan.

Nissans are fun though, tq is fun
Old 10-08-2003, 06:58 AM

Default Re: turbo honda vs. turbo nissan (Jordo)

rwd is fun but yeah nissans are getting played out just as much as hondas..... damn its hard to be original now
Old 10-08-2003, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo honda vs. turbo nissan (metal-x)

I made the jump about a year ago. I had an 89 civic with a B18B turbo. It was fast and fun to drive but lacked AC and PS. It also vibrated like hell (poly mounts) and had alot of TQ steer. I have to say the 240 is a nicer car to drive. The interior is more sporty. But the seats suck. I think the one bad thing about the whole "240 SR" thing is that the engines are overpriced (in japan a Redtop SR swap goes for about $500) We pay 2500+??? Go figure. The prices are marked up so much because of the demand for them. And getting one usally takes a few weeks if not months. I went for the RB25 and if you look at my sig you can see where that's gotten me. Apparently Cameron is claiming my engine will be in the states by oct 30th I would be very suprised if he comes through on that one.
I have to say that there will always be a Honda part of me and I can't just leave it totally. I still do swaps for friends and My fiance has a 98 GSR that I am slowly peiceing together a turbo kit for but I can't see myself going back.
Old 10-08-2003, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 00SilverLS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">vaportrail you'll know this better than anyone..

I have hondata on my teg and love it. If i go to the sr20..what engine management would you reccomend?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 10-08-2003, 08:17 AM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 00SilverLS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">vaportrail you'll know this better than anyone..

I have hondata on my teg and love it. If i go to the sr20..what engine management would you reccomend?</TD></TR></TABLE>

well, you have a lot of options.

Easiest one is to have your ecu rom tuned. Jim Wolf is one expensive option, but we also do custom rom tuning in house. Naturally a lot of our customers go this route - add a 300zx maf and we can safely and reliably go up to 400whp on pump gas with the right injector and turbo - higher on the good stuff. We really put the brakes on at 450whp.

Much beyond that level, you need more resolution than the ecu offers, and with maf tuning, its very difficult to tune without datalogging of some sort. Fortunately, Apexi has the Power FC, which plugs right in. From there, you can (and we have) gone up to 500whp (probably better) with the Z32 Maf.

Contact us if you have any questions...
Old 10-08-2003, 09:42 AM
GSRswapandslow

you wanna be a big baller and uniquie?

get a GTiR swap into a 200sx.

that block is an iron block, and can make mid 500's all damned day long. It's a LOT better engine than the regular SR20. It even has some fun ITB's to play with.

MY friend Alex will have his 92 SER running soon with the swap...and i'll get some videos.

**** a teg and a 240
Old 10-08-2003, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GSRswapandslow)

I must say I am the only turbo sohc in my area(to my knowledge) :-P. Every car nowadays has some sort of forced induction most turbocharged. Do what YOU want to do. Must I remind everyone of the Honda vs. Nissan race. lol Honda won and they were all all motor. I don't believe a single honda was turbo while the nissans all had sr20s and ****. Not hating on the nissan tho. It's a nice car just not my cup of tea
Old 10-08-2003, 12:48 PM
New User

Default Re: (GSRswapandslow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GSRswapandslow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you wanna be a big baller and uniquie?

get a GTiR swap into a 200sx.

that block is an iron block, and can make mid 500's all damned day long. It's a LOT better engine than the regular SR20. It even has some fun ITB's to play with.

MY friend Alex will have his 92 SER running soon with the swap...and i'll get some videos.

**** a teg and a 240</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually, No.

the GTiR block is indeed aluminum, the same good stuff the regular sr20's are made out of. And it's pistons are no different than regular sr20det pistons out of say, a 1993 180sx. good old cast nissan. To add to that, the combustion chambers do not have the same quench area shape that the rear wheel drives have, thus putting more flame on the exhaust ringland, which is actually more dangerous during high horsepower applications!!

Yes, it has individual throttlebodies stock, 440cc injectors, and a T28.

The cool thing about the gtir motor however is that it does not have hydraulic lifters, but instead a solid type that needs to be adjusted every XX,XXX miles much like a Honda. This lets these cars safely rev to just over 8000 rpm on the stock valvetrain before disaster strikes, unlike the hydraulic sr's which need to shut off at about 7500 without any aftermarket upgrades (rocker arm stopper, lash killer kit, solid rocker stuffs)

Oh and heres the achilles heel of the GTiR / B chassis swap. The transmission breaks routinely after about 300-325 whp!! Even with the typical 280whp associated with the factory turbo and injectors and stuffs running about about 17-18 pounds of boost, hard shifting / drag radials / any kind of hard driving spells doom to the trannies! Cases break, 3rd gear explodes, differentials can't hang. it's all part of the reason as to why the GTiR swap isn't as good as you think ;-)
Old 10-08-2003, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (VaporTrail)

they just made motor mounts for a s13 for the rb26dett motor...thats the 6spd 270hp twin turbo motor straight 6cyl....gotta get rid of a lot of stuff under the hood for it to drop in but it fits....like a h22 in a hatch....cept its like 11s stead of 13s with bolt ons
Old 10-08-2003, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (gdrum)

i just dont like sitting the 240....so cramped. Integra feels great
Old 10-08-2003, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (gdrum)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gdrum &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">they just made motor mounts for a s13 for the rb26dett motor...thats the 6spd 270hp twin turbo motor straight 6cyl....gotta get rid of a lot of stuff under the hood for it to drop in but it fits....like a h22 in a hatch....cept its like 11s stead of 13s with bolt ons </TD></TR></TABLE>
What motor is that from? in only understand honda.

Quick Reply: turbo honda vs. turbo nissan