Notices

Turbo Honda + road racing = ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Honda + road racing = ???

Hi guys ! this idea is in my mind for about a year now....

Im a racing driver in formula ford for about 3 years now. I won the championship last year and I finished first the last wekend. I also did 4 year in a shifter kart serie. Here is a pic of me last weekend with the sooo nice flag lol and some other car that I would compete with if I do my project :

I already have a 1995 Honda Civic coupe with a D16 Benson sleeved block and im thinking about to strip the interior add a roll cage and put my car on the track in a different serie. Of course I will need a complete suspension kit and some other goodies but I know all I need and I have the budget. I would sell my formula but I would keep the same sponsor. Here there is a class that all is permitted so I would race against some old turbo Porsche, Camaro, Type-R, Tiburon, BMW etc... there is a lot of car in the class and slicks are allowed in one of the class

Im running a SC50 but I would swap it for a GT28RS to get a better spoolin time and also a ball bearing turbo that could handle more heat from a long race...

but im worried about the reliability of a Turbo Honda for a 30min race.....

anyway here is my list of mods on my street car :

Turbo SC50 .63ar ( that I would swap for a GT28RS )
Lovefab sst + ceramic coated
Benson block
CP 9.1 pistons
Eagle rod
Crower spring and ti-retainer
Supertech .5mm os valves
Zex 59300 cam
ported head
Edelbrock IM + port match
Moroso pan
Msd SCI + blaster coil
Padawan power steering removal kit
Precision 680cc
Greddy IC
HKS ssqv
AEM EMS
Home made oil cooler
Tial 38 mm WG
3 inch exhaust and 3 inch DP + open dump just under the firewall
Magnaflow resonator

so do you think that its a realizable project or I would be better to build a B18C5 like everyone lol !

Thanks for the help... Im confused... and I like to be different !

Old 05-10-2005, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Turbo Honda + road racing = ??? (yellowturbo)

B18C
Old 05-10-2005, 09:59 AM

Default Re: Turbo Honda + road racing = ??? (RACEPAK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RACEPAK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">B18C </TD></TR></TABLE>
and why....
Old 05-10-2005, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^he is just talkin out his *** I guess???
Old 05-10-2005, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would use the little d first and just see how it does. Do you know what work is done to the other cars? LIke how much power each one averages? You should have the tq advantage over alot of them seeing as the d series makes some good tq numbes. And having your light hatch will help alot also. I think you would be fine. The b18 will just add some more weight to the front end. I say try it, if it doesnt work then open the wallet, but I think you will do just fine!

I wish I had another car to get race preped for autocross/road racing./

Old 05-10-2005, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Torque and VTEC
Old 05-10-2005, 10:33 AM

Default Re: Turbo Honda + road racing = ??? (vti2)

I say go with the turbo d series,if your worried about heat managment,wich you very well should be,look into water injection
Old 05-10-2005, 10:34 AM

Default Re: Turbo Honda + road racing = ??? (Civicman86)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Civicman86 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would use the little d first and just see how it does. Do you know what work is done to the other cars? LIke how much power each one averages? You should have the tq advantage over alot of them seeing as the d series makes some good tq numbes. And having your light hatch will help alot also. I think you would be fine. The b18 will just add some more weight to the front end. I say try it, if it doesnt work then open the wallet, but I think you will do just fine!

I wish I had another car to get race preped for autocross/road racing./

</TD></TR></TABLE>

there is some car that would be able to compete in the Speed chanel touring serie.

But the main reason of this post is the reliability of a turbo Honda during a long race...

The budget is not the main problem... My engine is already build except that I would change the turbo.

As I said... I want to know if the reliability is something that would be a problem ...

Old 05-10-2005, 10:36 AM

Default Re: Turbo Honda + road racing = ??? (buckfittyone)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by buckfittyone &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I say go with the turbo d series,if your worried about heat managment,wich you very well should be,look into water injection</TD></TR></TABLE>

well before looking into a complicated system like water injection I will simply using C16.... maybe half half with 94 octane pump gas.

I do not need too boost like 20 psi... I would need around 275 whp or so to be ahead
Old 05-10-2005, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How long do your races normally last???
Old 05-10-2005, 10:50 AM

Default Re: Turbo Honda + road racing = ??? (TurboChrgd_Civic)

about 30 minutes or so... depend of the track.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have 80 miles of HARD abuse on the S2000, in 20-30 mile sessions(20 minutes). Completely stock motor, only problems so far were loose turbo bolts. Make sure they are tight, double nutted, hell, even weld-tacked(in a spot where you can easily grind the spots off again). Trust me, you dont want a turbo falling off in the middle of a race!
Old 05-10-2005, 10:59 AM

Default Re: Turbo Honda + road racing = ??? (Tinker219)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tinker219 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have 80 miles of HARD abuse on the S2000, in 20-30 mile sessions(20 minutes). Completely stock motor, only problems so far were loose turbo bolts. Make sure they are tight, double nutted, hell, even weld-tacked(in a spot where you can easily grind the spots off again). Trust me, you dont want a turbo falling off in the middle of a race!</TD></TR></TABLE>

cool thanks Cody ! well I do not have any problem for the preparation of the car... I always prepared my own car and I always finished my races... I mean I can do a good preparation.

Damn sounds like a nice project ... the car from the street to the track mmmhh

BTW If this project is really going to happen I would interested by getting a real sponsor to get help for the turbo choice + spare turbo.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:19 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

axles would be the weakest link for a road racing situation
Old 05-10-2005, 11:29 AM

Default Re: Turbo Honda + road racing = ??? (wantboost)

not if you know how to drive I do not see why it would be a problem... it cant be worse than on my 335whp race map with slicks...
Old 05-10-2005, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Mat, PM Jeff boosted_hybrid. He races his civic hatch with stock block GSR turbo. He will tell you things that need to be upgraded to.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:01 PM

main thing you'll have to worry about is oil temp. get a big oil cooler, and a larger radiator and i'm sure you'll be fine.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:23 PM

yes watch your oil temp. I used to run around PIR for ~10 minutes at a time, and around 10 min the oil temp would start to go over 240. Anything over 240 and I start to get a little nervous...
Old 05-10-2005, 12:26 PM

sounds like I do not have the choice eheh
Old 05-10-2005, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would get an integra radiator if you are worried about cooling. I haven't had my civic overheat once in all the years I had it. But if I was doing track days(only autox) I would get the integra raditor.

Big oil cooler would be great also.

I think with a 1.8 you might be a bit nose heavy so might not want to do that. But what do I know.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:08 PM

oil cooler + upgraded radiator + safe tune = good road race car.

I like how you show them pictures of you driving a Formula car and then they tell you "you have to worry about axels". LOL
Old 05-10-2005, 03:25 PM
something different

i have taken my turbo d16 to a few track days (was at the last track day cody from lovefab did-that car is DAMN fast!)

i have a stock d16a6, t3 kit i built, good managment, conservative but powerful tune and kit (185 whp at 6 psi)....

i have a good radiator an an oil cooler, and she's fine out there. i turned the boost down a bit, but only back to 6 psi (been streeting it with 7-8 psi)
Old 05-10-2005, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (redzcstandardhatch)

yeah jeff @ boosted hyrbrid road races one of his cars too.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:44 AM

Default Re: Turbo Honda + road racing = ??? (turboman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turboman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would get an integra radiator if you are worried about cooling. I haven't had my civic overheat once in all the years I had it. But if I was doing track days(only autox) I would get the integra raditor.

Big oil cooler would be great also.

I think with a 1.8 you might be a bit nose heavy so might not want to do that. But what do I know.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well my engine is a 1.6 SOHC D16Z6 so its lighter than a DOHC and I wont be running a huge *** turbo... I would also fab some aluminium piping to save some weight.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:45 AM

Default Re: (Drag_On)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Drag_On &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oil cooler + upgraded radiator + safe tune = good road race car.

I like how you show them pictures of you driving a Formula car and then they tell you "you have to worry about axels". LOL</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol well im a smooth driver. In formula ford all the engine are pretty much the same so you cant do a mistake cuz you have no power to save you after.

If you know how to drive you shouldnt be worried about axles... well except if you have a LOT of power.

Quick Reply: Turbo Honda + road racing = ???