Notices

Turbo GSR EF Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 08:10 AM
Make mine whatever you want

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo GSR EF Build Thread

Thought I would post up a build thread. Me and my twin brother have finally started to build another car. We picked an 91 civic hatch for about 500 bucks with the D15B2 and nearly everything else in the car. straight body, only needed to replace the passenger front fender. This will be moving fairly quickly because as of today we have A LOT of parts ordered and the project will literally be moving as fast as things can get here. So far this is what IS purchased and we are just waiting arrival.

-94 GSR motor w/harness, ecu and trans
-REVHARD Kit w/GT35R & Custom Manny
-DSS stage 3.9 axles
-Hondata S300
-All neccasary harness OBD0-Obd1 conversion stuff
-Precision 1000cc Injectors
-GE fuel rail
-MH Slicks w/wheels
-Hasport mounts w/cable to hydro conversion

There's probably more I can't remember right now but I will keep you posted. We have some more to purchase soon but i'm just waiting on the motor to get here. The day it gets here we are stripping it and sending the block & crank to GE and they will sleeve it and match pistons, rods etc and send everything back, then it's just assmebly. I'll try to update as much as possible. Here are some pictures of the car after the motor is out, sound deadening stripped and repainted on the inside. I'm really not too picky because it's mainly going to be at the track.

motor pulled & not cleaned

w/ bay cleaned

Before interior paint

After painted interior, and yes I know the F&F steering wheel is going to go. That thing feels like a video game racing wheel

w/slicks

Aluminum e-brake cover that my brother is TIG welding. I thought it looked wierd without the whole center piece and that being exposed so we made this thing.

That's what we got for now but like I said, it will be moving quickly. There will be a window of time when we will receive A LOT of parts. I'll keep you guys posted!!! p.s. not really new to the site, had some issues with my account before so my brother made this one and we are usin this from now on.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:31 AM

Default Re: Turbo GSR EF Build Thread (GT35R_EF)

looks like its going to be a nice build. what kind of numbers do you expect?
Old 04-04-2008, 08:48 AM

Default Re: Turbo GSR EF Build Thread (de1991hatch)

We're looking for about 500-600 on race gas and hopefully 400's on pump or a mild mixed gas. The GT35R will have NO problems achieving that, just getting everything else figured out.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:04 PM

Default Re: Turbo GSR EF Build Thread (GT35R_EF)

....very nice cant wait to see more pics.....
Old 04-04-2008, 12:21 PM

sweet man keep the pics commin
Old 04-04-2008, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (civichatchdx)

sounds like a nice build to you guys,also what kind of wheels are those?
Old 04-04-2008, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HondaCivicSiR1)

Did you guys just spray paint from a can? It looks really clean and i like that e-brake cover your bro made. I am getting a set of slicks tomorrow and can't wait to bolt mine up, but my car is in pieces right now. Everything is looking really good.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:43 PM

Default Re: (TurboEK9Coupe)

haha yea we just rattle canned it, primer then semi-gloss white, it came out better then I thought. I'm not TOO worried about it mainly because it will just be at the track and rarely on the street. The front wheels are actually modified steeliesq with a pretty good size slick on it. They're my buddies wheels I just had to test fit them and stuff to see if we needed spacers, and we did. 1/4 inch was easily enough The tire is about 10-11 inches wide end to end. Just waiting on the motor and stuff, should be here on tuesday!!! A lot of parts will be coming in at once so i'll keep it updated. Thanks for the comments guys!!
Old 04-06-2008, 02:38 PM

Default Re: (GT35R_EF)

Ok, got another update. While we were waiting for everything to get here, we sort of impulsively decided to do lexan in the rear side windows for now. Home depot carries this stuff for like $60 a sheet, at like 36x48 and it's the nice stuff. We picked some up and here is how the first window we did looks. the bolts through right now are temporary it is just in for fitment, and the edges are obviously not painted yet, but it turned out pretty good.

Pulled window out and cleaned the edge

Cut the lexan with a cutting wheel

I was surprised that it almost fit perfect after only making a few trims here and there for final fitment.

Window installed, we did bolts every two inches, you almost can't even see the window in this picture

Another picture of the window installed.

A lot of parts should be in this week I will defenitely keep it updated
Old 04-06-2008, 03:12 PM

great project! I am doing a very similar setup but will be behind you guys by a bit. I picked up a white 90 si roller.
got a complete gsr
hx35w
hasport mounts/hydro coversion
chipped p28
harness ect... maybe I can pick up some pointers as you go along.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:45 PM

Default Re: (GA-AutoFab)

Yea for sure man, we'll be cruisin through this one pretty quick. If you ever have any questions on anything imparticular just let me know, and seeing as how they will be very similar i'm sure we will run into similar issues. Keep me posted on how you are doin with yours as well!
Old 04-06-2008, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice project guys. That's a nice clean shell.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:58 PM

Default Re: (jmm96gsr)

Thanks man, and I just noticed something while I was posting these pictures up, I didn't even pay attention to this is the first place, or know it existed. Look at the picture when the lexan is fit with the protective covering is still on. It says to expose the OPPOSITE side to sunlight, and of course I mounted it backwards . O well I guess i'll have to just let it go, or flip it to the other side, which isn't that big of a deal since it's comin off anyways. I feel retarded now. thought i'd say it before someone else caught it!!
Old 04-06-2008, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks good, an idea for the lexan is pull it off tape it up and leave about an inch all th way around and paint it black, the you wont be able to see that lip and it looks more stock-ish
Old 04-06-2008, 08:57 PM

Default Re: (mrbsponge)

yea for sure man, thats what i was planning on doing, the only question I had about that, that I couldnt find was what kind of paint to use, I'll probably just test some out then see what looks best on a seperate sheet. I'm gonna pull it off and do that, then replace all of the bolts with stainless boltsand nuts etc.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:46 PM

I would think any gloss black paint will work fine. just paint it on the inside so it looks cleaner from the outside. did you possibly weigh the stock glass vs. the lexan?
Old 04-07-2008, 08:27 PM
* B A N N E D *

are you planning on building the motor?

what are the specs on the gt35?

im just wondering how long you plan on having the motor last on a stock bottom end trying to make 500whp, if youre not building it.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey those are my slicks... we need to get that motor in the car asap... i cant remember what size the slicks are they are a 25 series dont remember the rest...
Old 04-08-2008, 08:34 PM

Default Re: (count me out)

haha, yea, we are sending the block out to GE, to get sleeved, crank girdle, balancer, arias pistons, rods, yea pretty much the whole bottom end is going to be rebuilt. and we will see what we can make with the stock top end. Motor is scheduled to get here thursday morning!! then the breakdown begins, turbo and other stuff SHOULD get here on friday, not like it matters. i'll keep it updated, a lot should be going on soon, i hope. with my luck we will be in the same place in two weeks though. We are trying to get it up to make a few passes by july.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:11 PM

OK, so update on the project, motor and hasposrt mounts got here today!!, finally we're started to see what we spent so much money on... here are a few pics of the motor (JDM B18C w/LSD) and mounts along with a few more pictures of the car after we rolled it outside. This weekend we will be tearing down the motor to get the block sent out by next week to GE.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like a real solid build. Im building a mild b18a for my hatch with srp pistons and supertech valves, havent decided on the turbo yet. What are you guys doing suspension wise? Are you going to tune it or have someone else? Keep udating good luck!
Old 04-11-2008, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (aWeimaraner)

i love when people just rip through a build like this

im in for updates
Old 04-11-2008, 01:35 PM

Awesome work. i'll be sure to watch this. I'm gonna be doing the same type of build this summer.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (gsr173)

great job
Old 04-11-2008, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looking G dup!!

Quick Reply: Turbo GSR EF Build Thread