Notices

turbo do's and dont's

Old 08-30-2007, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default turbo do's and dont's

Hello all,

I just purchased a complete Drag 3 turbo kit for an excellent price for my 2000 LS. I have been researching alot of threads and trying to educate myself on how turbos work. I just ordered Maximum Boost as it seems to be a recommended book for turbo info. Please know that I know pretty much nothing when it comes to turbo cars and this is going to be my first boosted car. While researching I came across some posts that state that I am not supposed to do things like drive in 5th gear (this doesn't make sense to me, please explain if you would like), I should not turn my car off right away after driving etc. I am used to N/A cars where things like this do not apply. Can you guys kind of maybe give me some advice on things that I should do and NOT do to keep my car as reliable as possible? This is my daily driver and need it to be as reliable as possible. My goal is only like 225-250 whp for this daily driver. So ultimately, how do you drive your boosetd car? Are there things that you make sure you do when you drive? Are there things that you make sure you never do because it may cause damage? Like the title states, Im loking for some do's and dont's that you guys swear by when driving your car. Also looking for some info and reasoning behind your driving practices. Please help me out here.

Thanks in advance

-Jaysem
Old 08-30-2007, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the not turning your car of right away has to do with oil getting coked in the turbo from being to hot. generaly water cooled turbos have greater resistance to this. Basiclyy when you get to your destination let the car ile for a mnute for the oil to pull the heat aaway from the turbo and then sut off.

definately dont turbo without a game plan on how you are going to control this turbo motor. if a local tuner can chip your ecu that would probably be your cheapest and best bet.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (OLD_HATCH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by OLD_HATCH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the not turning your car of right away has to do with oil getting coked in the turbo from being to hot. generaly water cooled turbos have greater resistance to this. Basiclyy when you get to your destination let the car ile for a mnute for the oil to pull the heat aaway from the turbo and then sut off.

definately dont turbo without a game plan on how you are going to control this turbo motor. if a local tuner can chip your ecu that would probably be your cheapest and best bet.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Those are the kind of responses Im looking for homie
Car will be tuned with Crome Pro. Injectors, OBDI harness and ECU are coming soon. What about this thing I read about not being in 5th gear? That sounds pretty ridiculous to me. I mean what if I need to go on a long trip or something and need 5th gear for highway use?
Old 08-30-2007, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JAYSEM Society)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JAYSEM Society &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Those are the kind of responses Im looking for homie
Car will be tuned with Crome Pro. Injectors, OBDI harness and ECU are coming soon. What about this thing I read about not being in 5th gear? That sounds pretty ridiculous to me. I mean what if I need to go on a long trip or something and need 5th gear for highway use? </TD></TR></TABLE>

tuned properly, dont even sweat it bro. I drove my 350whp STOCK B18C to texas and back, 1000+ (each way) miles of 5th gear action, plenty of WOT's for sure. On a basetune, yeaaa, youre playing with fire. Car was turned for high 11's A/f under WOT.

However, a base tune is basically just for limping your car to your tuner. Get it tuned by a reputable tuner, run good quality products, do maintance, check plugs, run good fuel, have a blast!
Old 08-30-2007, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JAYSEM Society &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Car will be tuned with Crome Pro. Injectors, OBDI harness and ECU are coming soon. What about this thing I read about not being in 5th gear? That sounds pretty ridiculous to me. I mean what if I need to go on a long trip or something and need 5th gear for highway use? </TD></TR></TABLE>
for the idle thing, get a cheap turbo timer. basically when you turn your car off it'll idle for a minute and shut it's self down, so you don't have to wait there.
And fyi, alot of people don't even do let there car idle, i never did. I would let it warm up before i would rev high enough to make boost, but as far as cooling down, very very rarely....and it ran fine the whole time i had the setup.
And the 5th gear thing is wrong, plain and simple. Idk why someone would say that. The only thing i can think of is when my old setup was being street tuned for partial throttle, my tuner said just to drive normal and to stay out of fifth gear...idk why
Old 08-30-2007, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CivicVX94)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicVX94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
for the idle thing, get a cheap turbo timer. basically when you turn your car off it'll idle for a minute and shut it's self down, so you don't have to wait there.
And fyi, alot of people don't even do let there car idle, i never did. I would let it warm up before i would rev high enough to make boost, but as far as cooling down, very very rarely....and it ran fine the whole time i had the setup.
And the 5th gear thing is wrong, plain and simple. Idk why someone would say that. The only thing i can think of is when my old setup was being street tuned for partial throttle, my tuner said just to drive normal and to stay out of fifth gear...idk why </TD></TR></TABLE>

Screw a turbo timer, (rice mod in my eyes) just dont build any boost and use low RPM's the last few mins prior to arriving to your destination.

My busa doesnt have a turbo timer, my civic never did and never will.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:19 AM

Default Re: (Ls1 FD3s)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ls1 FD3s &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Screw a turbo timer, (rice mod in my eyes) just dont build any boost and use low RPM's the last few mins prior to arriving to your destination.

My busa doesnt have a turbo timer, my civic never did and never will. </TD></TR></TABLE>

thats what i do as well. turbo timers are a rice thing, there is no point.

i DO let my car fully warm up before boosting though.

as far as the 5th gear thing, nobody is saying not to drive in 5th gear, that is retarded. but boosting in 5th can cause EGTs to get really high because of the load, so be careful with long 5th gear pulls.

my biggest piece of advice is to get it tuned properly (ie: some type of chipping solution w/ large injectors, NOT and fmu).
Old 08-30-2007, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: (ndogg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ndogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
as far as the 5th gear thing, nobody is saying not to drive in 5th gear, that is retarded. but boosting in 5th can cause EGTs to get really high because of the load, so be careful with long 5th gear pulls.

my biggest piece of advice is to get it tuned properly (ie: some type of chipping solution w/ large injectors, NOT and fmu).</TD></TR></TABLE>

exactly. any gear with a ratio of less than 1:1 means that the motor is working harder than the transmission if that makes sense. even with a perfect tune, prolonged boosting in 5th gear can and will generate a lot of heat and potentially melt ****. hence the reason people say dont boost in 5th, and dont boost for more than like 15 seconds or whatever the timeframe is
Old 08-30-2007, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ndogg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ndogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

as far as the 5th gear thing, nobody is saying not to drive in 5th gear, that is retarded. but boosting in 5th can cause EGTs to get really high because of the load, so be careful with long 5th gear pulls. </TD></TR></TABLE>

when you say be careful with long 5th gear pulls, do you mean just being in 5th gear for a long period of time (even in low rpms) or do you mean being in High RPMs in 5th gear for a long period of time? I dont drive like an idiot. I do 80 mph on the highway tops. NOt sure exactly what RPM that is on an LS tranny but I do need to be able to drive in 5th gear. I do like to travel and again, this is my daily driver. Not being able to drive in 5th gear would definitely be retarded. Thanks to everyone for the replies, anything else that is a rule when driving a boosted car? Any rules on shifting, downshifting or driving in general that I should know?
Old 08-30-2007, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

he means going WOT(full boost) for a long period in 5th gear. If your not giving it throttle you'll remain in vacuum, For an example and stickly as example and not actual numbers or proportions but you'll get the idea, you can cruise at 80mph all day long and be in vacumm (not making positive boost) or you can accelerate WOT from 60-80mph and be making 10psi in the same gear at the same mph...this is why you need to do partial throttle and full throttle tuning-different boost levels at different throttle levels at the same rpm
Old 08-30-2007, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rota92)

Chainsaw alarm FTW! Just don't trip it yourself.

Do yourself a favor, don't boost in 5th gear. You'll be doing 135mph+ by that time anyway, if you're boosting in 5th you're just a moron.

Get a good oil line kit and weld your fitting into the pan along with honda bond or super sealant around every possible area that oil could come from. Oil leaks are the worst, it's better to overdo it than under.

Put your charge piping together with Tbolt clamps, good couplers, and hairspray.

Check your oil as often as possible.

Get yourself a wideband O2, doesn't need to be expensive, the AEM one for example.

Get a good clutch, Action 2MD FTW! This is much more than you need for 200whp, keep reading for the reason.

Get yourself an extra block, and an engine building book or two. Boost is addicting, you're going to want more in about 2 weeks after you get everything done.

That's about it that I can think of.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SovXietday)

I am looking into a new clutch, I need one that is going to feel almost stock but be able to handle the power of a boosted car. As I stated, Im only looking for like 250whp, but would like it to hold up if I turn the boost up a little. I do not want a clutch that is rough and a pain in the *** to drive. What clutch do you recommend ? I will also search as well to see if I can find what IM looking for. So as long as Im chilling in 5th gear and not stomping on the gas I should be good? No problems with downshifting or anything like that right? The last thing I want to do is blow up my car because I dod somethiing that I wasnt supposed to. Thanks again guys, keep it coming!!
Old 08-31-2007, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

if your chilling in 5th your fine. if you feel compelled to get on the gas, then just downshift

and listen to rota, your turbo acura has legs of its own and all it wants to do is get stolen and run away from you...unfortunately too many people dont believe its true until it happens to them, and i know there are at least 2 people in this thread now that had one jacked
Old 08-31-2007, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blackeg)

it sucks that you have to watch out for jackers and low lives, Car currently has an alarm but also looking into some additional security. anyone recommend a good clutch that is almost stock feeling and can handle some decent power?Keep the posts coming! anymore comments and recommendations or advice for this boost noob?Any mandatory security feaures that I should get? Car does have alarm right now
Old 08-31-2007, 08:08 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

as for the streetable clutch, i would suggest an Exedy Stage 2....i have one and love it. Also, it holds a good amount of torque so you have room to upgrade
Old 08-31-2007, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rota92)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rota92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Glock makes a great system
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I just got back from the range (true story)! My glock 30 is my friend. So is Chris' Indoor shooting range in Guilford Had a blast. Shot a 44 magnum for the first time today. That freaking thing is sick!! SUPER KICK. Which clutch is closer to stock feel the 2MS or 2MD?

Modified by JAYSEM Society at 9:46 PM 8/31/2007

Modified by JAYSEM Society at 9:46 PM 8/31/2007