Notices

turbo does not spin

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 turbo does not spin

Hi need help suggestions:

on my eg i've just finish the installation of pt sc61 turbo. if u look at turbo air intake side at min rpm idling turbo doesn't spin.
i've cheked oil line and its ok. engine is stock b16a2. maybe turbo it's too big?
At the moment i hdn't used car on road, only switched on today and saw this.

Suggestion?

thx
Old 02-27-2009, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: turbo does not spin

post pics of your setup. Is your wastegate properly connected?
Old 02-27-2009, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im pretty sure It should be spinning. Are you sure that its not? sometimes its spinning and it looks like its standing still. as funny as that sounds ...
Old 02-27-2009, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there is no question as whether it should be spinning. It should absolutely be spinning. The question I was asking was whether he had hooked up his wastegate. If not, he might be loosing all his exhaust pressure through the wastegate port.

You are also supposed to prime the oil line before you start it for the first line. did you remember to do that?
Old 02-27-2009, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

at min rmp 900-1000 it doesnt spin... ehhhmmm i've placed a f.n.e.r inside...
Im sure it doesnot spin because if u give a little gas it starts spinning...

this afternoon i've finished exhaust and vacuum manifold connections. dump tube is not in correct place in pictures tial wastegate has 2 banjo ports one on top and one on side i've used the side one.,
At the vac manifolf i've coonected a hose from in manifold, fpr, wastegate, blowoff and map sensor turbo gauge.

On the compressor side ( air side) there's a barb fitting from factory, what's his use?

thx
Attached Images      
Old 02-27-2009, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Done oil priming befor start and wastegate have his tial inside, no exhaust loss from it
Old 02-27-2009, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aasarsak
there is no question as whether it should be spinning. It should absolutely be spinning.
why? its not hurting anything by not spinning.

my sc34 didnt spin at idle when i first installed it and that was a gsr motor. i say its normal, especially since it starts spinning as soon as you blip the throttle. i bet in a week or so it will "break-in" and spin more freely. even if it doesn't you are still fine

also i think "priming" is a myth. it takes like .1 seconds for the oil line to get pressurized once the engine is running.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This has been discussed before alot, some say its perfectly normal not to spin at idle, I have personally never seen it.

I have never primed a turbo either, it will get oil very fast once the engine starts, and since apparently a certain percentage of turbo's dont spin at idle anyway, whats the point?
Old 02-27-2009, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm little worried on it that's all, my question was about the normality of this event, so i never saw this on turbo as usual when u start engine it begin spinning freely.
i was thinking at the size of turbo, maybe too big for street apply...

Do someone have on his car?
Old 02-27-2009, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my 42r doesnt spin at idle
Old 02-27-2009, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That "barb" you were referring to (if we are talking about the same thing of course) is a vacuum fitting. Some people believe that it is best to run this as the vacuum source for your wastegate which gives it a "faster" response time or whatever. Others say it is better to run the vacuum source for your wastegate off the IM because that is where the actual pressure is being measured due to pressure drops which may be created by intercoolers and whatnot.

There are plenty of discussions on this topic, but at any rate, that thing is a vacuume fitting. If it were me, I would probably run that sucker to my BOV. Either that, or just cap it off. Up to you.\

I agree with dpetro1. I think that once you "break it in" it should start spinning at idle. Even though there is so little exhaust flow coming from the turbo manifold, I still think it should spin at idle just because the fins should have almost no resistance from friction, which means that they should spin freely. If your fins are not spinning at idle, that means that there is something preventing them from spinning under low exhaust flow. If you've ever felt the pressure of the exhaust ports with the EM removed, you know that even at idle, it is a relatively substantial amount of pressure. That being said, it should certainly be enough to spin the turbine. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that if the turbine is not spinning at idle, it is because something is preventing it from spinning. Hopefully once the shaft gets "broken in" it will free up all that tighness of a new turbo, and it will start to spin even at idle.

At any rate, I would just take it easy for awhile until you get your car tuned and all that...

BTW, what is that oil cooler looking thing you have mounted up there? And what is that chrome box going to your intake manifold with the red plug in it? On the underside, I can't really tell, but is that a BOV mounted like a foot away from the compressor? Interesting setup. I've never seen anything like that before. What kind of kit is that?

One more thing. You said you have a vacuum manifold. Where is it?

Sorry, I keep editing my post, but now that I look at it, are you planning to street this thing with the charge piping routed that low to the ground?

This isn't a customer's car right?

Last edited by aasarsak; 02-27-2009 at 05:46 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats a water to air cooler setup and the thingy on the front is the heat exchanger to cool the water off after it sucks the heat out of the air charge....ohh and that piping is a little low for my comfort but it isnt my car and sometimes you dont have a choice...dont pull too far into a parking spot and hit the curb,lol
Old 02-28-2009, 01:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thx for good replies.
It's my car and this is a sort of experiment for using a water intercooler instead of air/air one.
This is the only way i have to route piping and to test the performance on the road before transforming the car into a darg race one. The intake piping is close to the ground ( abouit 100mm, 4 inch) but it's high enough to test on street without breaking something.
What u see on front is the heat exchanger of the water intercooler. All this intercooler is from frozenboost, and the have smaller ones too if u need, check website.
It's a sort of homemade kit, i bought manifold, turbo, ddwnpipe and dump tube from sls, water intercooler and bov from frozenboost.
Piping is made of aluminium joiners covered by silicone hoses and what u see under water radiator is the bov. I'm not sure to mantain it there.

I agree after a breaking in time turbo will spin freely with low exh pressure.

You can see the barb i'm speaking about on the first pict posted, the gold color one....and only to understand u said u will connect to ur bov but before u said is the vacuum source for wastegate...
On the wastegate there are 2 barb, one on top one one side, how to use correctly them?
Actually , not in pictures, the vaccum lines are connected as: bov, map sensor,fpr, wastegate side bardb conn, to the IM vacuum manifold and then to Intake manifold.
I have 2 barbs free the one on wastegate's top and the one on turbo.

However I will post new pictures of all setup by monday.

I hope to been clear in explanations.

Stay tuned...
thx
Old 02-28-2009, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the barb on the turbo is NOT vacuum. it is a boost only port off the turbo that can be used for the side port of the wastegate. the top port is for an electronic boost controller.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thx petro, so u suggest to coonect directly the barb on turbo on the side port of wastgte,and the top one? I haven't an electronic boost coontroller what to do?
Actually i connected all the vacuum ports to the vac manifold is it ok?
how to converst lbs of boost into psi or bar?
Old 02-28-2009, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you turn the car off and try and spin the turbine wheels with your finger how does it feel? That turbine wheel should be spinning at all times, at idle, cruise etc... the exhaust comming from the engine should be spinning that turbo pretty good even at idle!!
Old 02-28-2009, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when you guys are saying it should be spinning, i'm just curious as to what your setup is. My first turbo, which was a .48/.60 on a single cam, didn't always spin at idle, and if it was it was slow. On another car i threw a td04 on there, that thing always spun at idle. But it was a much smaller opening on the exhaust side, thus a lot more force on the fin at idle. Just curious. Personaly, i'd be more concerned if i was hearing a high pitched squeal when it starts spinning.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's totally fine to not spin at idle. People who say it's not don't heve enough experience to say either way.

1 bar = 14.5psi
Old 02-28-2009, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

fells like woman's backs....soft. Spins freely if moved by fingers nothing locks spinning and no squeals.
Setup is ramhorn non ac and pt turbo sc61 56 trim
Old 02-28-2009, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1lbs=?psi

thkx
Old 02-28-2009, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Bailhatch
It's totally fine to not spin at idle. People who say it's not don't heve enough experience to say either way.

1 bar = 14.5psi
His turbo's not that big, I could understand it it was a huge *** turbo that takes alot of air to move the wheels but that turbo isn't that. I've seen 4088's, 35r's, T3/67's all spinning at idle. And you may be right it might not be a big deal if it's not spinning at idle, just seems strange that it wouldn't be spinning.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1lb is 1lb. some people just say pounds, but they actually mean to say pounds per square inch (PSI) It's the same thing, just different terminology. To convert from BAR to PSI, just multiply by about 14.5 like bailhatch said.

If you don't have a boost controller, you should leave the top port open.

I would only drive that car at the track with the charge piping like that, I would just watch out when driving that thing down the street. It would suck really bad if you hit a pothole or a bump in the road, and tore that stuff off along with your BOV. Especially if you were boosting at the time. Be careful. haha.

It is fine to connect all your vacuum sources off the vacuum manifold. Like I said before, some people argue that it is better to eliminate boost spiking by hooking up the wastegate directly to the compressor. I feel that there are enough valid points on both sides of the argument that it is really user preference. My turbo doesn't have one, but if I did, I would probably hook it up to the wastegate.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EK2.0
His turbo's not that big, I could understand it it was a huge *** turbo that takes alot of air to move the wheels but that turbo isn't that. I've seen 4088's, 35r's, T3/67's all spinning at idle. And you may be right it might not be a big deal if it's not spinning at idle, just seems strange that it wouldn't be spinning.

I agree. Just wait until it gets broken in, and keep an eye on it, you should be fine. I'm assuming you have a boost gauge and some sort of datalogging tool.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'll finish installation by monday/tuesday and start test it....i'll post pic and maybe vid.
Hope to not destroy bov on street.
Boost gauge installed. What pressure do u suggest with stock engine? thx
Old 02-28-2009, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you know somebody who can tune, I would let them set the boost pressure. You said that you don't have a boost controller, so are you planning on making your own boost controller out of brass fittings or what?

Safe boost pressure is a relative question to the health of the motor. What were the results of the leakdown and compression tests? I have seen healthy B16s get boosted to around 12PSI without problems. I think there were a copule guys in H-T who calimed to have boosted their stock B16s to 17 PSI, but I wouldn't recommend it.

What type of fuel management are you planning to use? I didn't see an FMU in there, so I'm guessing you're planning to use something like UBERDATA or HONDATA?

Most people are going to tell you 7PSI, I personally think 7PSI is too high unless you have been properly tuned. Especially if you are planning on traking the car.

Tell us a little bit more about your fuel management setup, injectors, ECU, etc. etc.

Quick Reply: turbo does not spin