Notices

Turbo Collar?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Collar?

Hey, Not actualy new to this board but I had to create a new profile... Was 90ZC or something like that but its been at least a year since I posted here (maybe got deleted?)

I been thinking bout welding up some turbo collectors. I just got a new Mig welder and filled up the argon so I am ready to rock! No more stick welding for me (though I did get realy good at it) So I am thinking instead of cuting the angles for the pipes from center out I would cut them all the way across (bandsaw) then weld the two Y sections all the way around so it would actualy be a V, when those are cut and the two sections are joined to make the collector it would come to a point instead of an open clover. You would then insert the pointed end of the collector into the exaust housing of your turbo untill it touches the housing all the way around, adjust the collector to the disred angle (the one that best matches the angle of the interior of the exaust housing at the point of contact) and make a mark on the "bottle Neck" of the collector at the flange of the turbo and another at the area of contact. You would then cut the end off of the the 4-1 V collector and hammer it into the shape of the interior of the exaust housing so it makes a nice snug fit (some grinding on the outside of the collector will probably be needed to get proper fitment and seal) This probably wont be too difficult due to the fact that you will need a fairly severe angle to get this thing deep enough to make a difference (for hammering that is) then you would weld the flange onto the collector... I was thinking maybe leave a small 1/16th gap between flages so you could "pull" them together and make the "collar" fit more snugly against the inside of the housing, sopose an ultra soft copper gasket would do the trick as well.
This should nullify that big throaty open space between the collector and the exaust housing (were the flanges are, but if your still reading this you probably dont need any more explanation) and increase flow properties by getting rid of that "Dead Zone" this should in theory help spool time alot.
What do you guys think?
Old 12-24-2005, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Turbo Collar? (moMruoYnahTreknurD)

Are you guys getting what I am saying? This wont work on turbo's with internal wastegates or on turbo's with split exaust housings... But for the rest of them it should help.
Old 12-24-2005, 03:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Turbo Collar? (moMruoYnahTreknurD)

try the welding/fabrication forum for more feedback