Notices

turbo or blower? d15b7 11:1, still slow.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 10:27 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default turbo or blower? d15b7 11:1, still slow.

Sup forced induction folks. I bought this EJ2 to do a bswap but it turns out the short block was built with 11:1 and its in perfect condition. Sorry for lack of info, I bought the car to bswap, found the 11:1 block, and decided to entertain the idea.

I'm thinking it'd be nice to have a bolt on bolt off forced induction kit. A blower would probably be better for this, I got a free pully as the p.o took off the A/C.

anyone wanna bounce some ideas around? I'm building the head before march, I'm doing the lowest class in SCCA this summer.

Last edited by P-M-B,93EXsedan; 04-05-2014 at 12:40 AM.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:49 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: turbo or blower? d15b7 11:1, still slow.

Superchargers take power to make power. Turbos just...make power. Considering you haven't told us what SCCA events you plan on participating in, we can't give you a real answer.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:08 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Built with 11:1

That doesn't tell us a goddamn thing. stock internals? forged internals?

what kind of power are you trying to make on what fuel and what budget? forced induction normally forces a vehicle to change classes in SCCA so you'd no longer be competing against stock vehicles. it could put you in a class you might not be able to handle given the other vehicles you're competing with and the level of driving skill needed.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:38 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by wantboost
Built with 11:1

That doesn't tell us a goddamn thing. stock internals? forged internals?

what kind of power are you trying to make on what fuel and what budget? forced induction normally forces a vehicle to change classes in SCCA so you'd no longer be competing against stock vehicles. it could put you in a class you might not be able to handle given the other vehicles you're competing with and the level of driving skill needed.
I dont think they're stock, but I haven't inspected them yet. I didnt build the thing, I just finished testing the block today and its perfect condition a few years after being built. They may be cast, or forged, but I have no clue.

I dont **** anymore than 300, 230 would be plenty.

I had an idea for the SCCA rules. I'll disconnect the blower belt, switch from F/I tune to N/a tune, and switch the charge pipe over to my CAI. That way I can run entry level events with the stock short block, and I could run the higher level events too, although based on the people I know running those classes (500+ hp cars) I would get my *** handed to me.

mostly I just want my d15 to actually make good power, 230-300. Even with the 11:1 C/R its still slow
Old 04-05-2014, 12:40 AM

Yeah no, it doesn't work that way with SCCA classing. When the inspection tech sees the hardware there, you go into that class - it doesn't matter if it's functional. In fact, they would probably fail you out for having it NOT hooked up correctly.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:43 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by NotARacist
Superchargers take power to make power. Turbos just...make power. Considering you haven't told us what SCCA events you plan on participating in, we can't give you a real answer.
turbosuperchargers also have lag, a belt drive S/C doesn't. I prefer turbo cars but for the simplicity of removing a belt to go back to N/A, i think id prefer the S/C
Old 04-05-2014, 12:44 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by NotARacist
Yeah no, it doesn't work that way with SCCA classing. When the inspection tech sees the hardware there, you go into that class - it doesn't matter if it's functional. In fact, they would probably fail you out for having it NOT hooked up correctly.
I'm pretty sure I could pass it off as a JDM A/C condenser and compressor. Even if I cant I could unbolt the bracket from the block. I'm gonna call the SCCA people eventually about this, I dont see how they could force me into the F/I modded class when my blower isn't connected and there's a CAI and not a charge pipe. And even if SCCA wants to be **** suckers about it ill go race at my local track. But then I guess notaracist's idea of leaving it as a simpler better turbo setup, with low boost for pump gas makes a fuckton more sense
Old 04-05-2014, 12:52 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

The scca stewards aren't idiots... that would never work. If any of the sc is on the motor your class changes, hooked up or not plus you'd never pass tech with **** unhoooked

what's a turbosupercharger? those don't exist

no supercharger kit exists for d series motors that would get to 300hp. also turbo lag isn't that bad, a gt2860 would make 300hp and you might have a few hundred rpm for the turbo to make full boost, a thousand rpm at most. it's all in how you design the turbo system and size the turbo (which you obviously dont understand. read the FAQs)

and you'll never make 300 on stock internals. 225 is the limit.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:25 AM

lol "pass it off"...yeah, right, because the charge piping won't be a dead giveaway or anything. Especially with your already-raised compression, a small turbo would do WONDERS for your motor.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check the faqs..

all people want 200-220 hp at the beggining but then they have a 400 hp engine because power is like a drag. define what you realy wanna do and stay to it

if you want 200-220 hp stay at OEM CR and get a cheap turbo kit ready to bolt on with a t25 or td04 turbocharger.

if you want more (but with reasonabe cost) you have to replace internals and get a t04e 50 trim kit..

if you have money to spend, get a b16 engine and do the GTX3071 turbo kit...
Old 04-05-2014, 02:43 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

If there's a supercharger on the motor the class changes, period. and considering that most superchargers for Honda's don't have any sort of charge piping your idea won't even remotely work. the scca is organized and run by car people... and their stewards and techs are very heavily knowledgeable about cars and modifications (every race organization has people like this)

they/we have to be very knowledgeable in order to properly tech a car to deem it safe for competition as well to put the vehicle in a class where it's a fairly even playing field. I wouodnt put your sc car in with a group of mostly stock NA cars, it's an unfair advantage.

and if you showed up with a supercharger unhooked as well as trying to talk your way into a slower class not only would I fail your car at tech but I would blackball you from all scca events for cheating/unfair advantage.

racing is supposed to fun, not something you lie and cheat at. you're the kind of people that make us have all of these rules and inspections in the first place.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:20 AM

Yep. Hell, the techs around here are so damn good, there was a guy trying to run in SP, claimed his motor was stock, and when the lead tech heard the engine running, he had guy put him in SM. Turns out guy had forged internals and a MUCH higher than stock CR. Dude got spanked, learned his lesson, and came back next season with a completely different car.

Seriously, don't try to **** around with techs. They will own you, and rape your soul. You want to be on their good side.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:09 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

I'd use a broomstick lol

you shouldn't enter a competitive driving event and think "how can I cheat?" you should be thinking "how can I drive better?"

you wouldn't believe the **** I've seen people trying to get away with at tech... one guy had a broken motor mount on his s13 and was using a ratchet strap to hold the motor in place.

most of what we see during competitons like FormulaDrift is after we impound the top cars a few of the tires will be beyond spec, basically cheater tires. a lot of times it turns out to be a manufacturer issue but it just shows you can never be too diligent. we weigh cars at tech time as well as before and after competition. we've even started xraying cars to check for illegal chassis lightening/ballasting.

clever people will always find a way to cheat, one time at a true grit 2 stoke motorcycle race someone figured out how to cryotreat nitrous into the cylinder walls... that warped my mind
Old 04-05-2014, 11:12 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Guys I am not trying to cheat, I just wanna race twice as much and not only race in the aftermarket forced induction class. I'm not changing the engine at all until after this SCCA season is over, and even then I might just sell the thing instead of dumping money into a SOHC 4 banger
Old 04-05-2014, 11:20 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Its not like I'm gonna hook the supercharger up in an event that doesn't allow f/i. The compressor would just sit there under the hood disconnected until I run a f/i class.
I gotta talk to em about this to find out for certain that I'm not allowed.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:35 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by turbomaniac
check the faqs..

all people want 200-220 hp at the beggining but then they have a 400 hp engine because power is like a drag. define what you realy wanna do and stay to it

if you want 200-220 hp stay at OEM CR and get a cheap turbo kit ready to bolt on with a t25 or td04 turbocharger.

if you want more (but with reasonabe cost) you have to replace internals and get a t04e 50 trim kit..

if you have money to spend, get a b16 engine and do the GTX3071 turbo kit...
I originally wanted a b16, but when I was diagnosing this engine it turned out that it was already built with 11:1. I'm not changing this engine, if I take the block out all ill be doing is selling it and buying a b18b, b16a or a GSR
Old 04-06-2014, 02:17 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Originally Posted by P-M-B,93EXsedan
Its not like I'm gonna hook the supercharger up in an event that doesn't allow f/i. The compressor would just sit there under the hood disconnected until I run a f/i class.
I gotta talk to em about this to find out for certain that I'm not allowed.
I apologize, it just came off that way ya know?

the scca techs have to class a vehicle based on the modifications installed, so whether the belt is hooked up or not doesn't really matter. while you might not cheat it happens all the time in scca so they err on the side of caution

now if you talk to the guy classing your car and tell him you want to disable the charger and run a lower class he might let you if you swear not to hook it up for that class. if they do allow it expect them to watch you a lot and inspect your vehicle frequently.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

why not just build up the d15b with a Hondata, exhaust, header, intake, and etc? And get it tuned..
Old 04-07-2014, 02:23 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Even an na 11:1 non vtec d15 on race gas with every high ed part known to man would do well to break 125hp. there are definitely better uses of his money
Old 04-07-2014, 02:26 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

If you wanted to use a standard Eaton unit in the place of the ac compressor you will have to change the drive gear so the charger rotates counter clockwise (basically flipping the snout and drive gears on the end of the sc around)

it's not that easy of a process. also I wouldn't go any larger than an m62
Old 04-07-2014, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

for me the best solution is to get a b16 or b18 engine.

second best solution a 200hp reasonable cost T25 turbo kit without stripping your head (stock CR)

find all your local modifiers and get the best price.

use t25 60trim turbo if you find.

or get used td04-13g from a subaru wrx and do the CHRA service if there is oil leak...
Old 04-07-2014, 12:23 PM

13G, 15G, Disco Potato, all would work well. I seriously wouldn't even entertain the thought of a supercharger on a D series motor.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not to mention a non turning supercharger would be somewhat of a intake restriction. Most D series superchargers mount to the back of the head, I havent heard of anyone using vortec or supercharges of that nature on a D series.

Also how do you know its built if you didnt build it? D15 rods (when I was in the SOHC) were not comin because of price. It was cheaper to do a d16 swap with eagles then build a d15.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:45 PM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

I see this guy made it to the FI section. He has been trolling all over the 92-00 and GDD.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:46 PM
GDD Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

May I ask, how are you determining this block as having an 11:1 compression ratio?

Quick Reply: turbo or blower? d15b7 11:1, still slow.