Notices

Turbo Blow by or what?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Blow by or what?

Ok, so over the past few weeks I've pretty much redone my turbo kit. New ramhorn manifold, front mount, piping, wastegate, bov. Once I finally buy all the parts I get a ****in cel as Im driving home from work. I jump my plug and I get a code 9. But since I just spent a stupid amount of money on new parts I felt my car deserved a compression check and tune up.

So I do my compression check. I get 189,189,189,189 and my leakdown was perfect. And according to CP for their 9:1 pistons 190psi is perfect seal. So I knew my rings and valve are all kicking ***. And my motor only has about 5-6k miles on it since the build. But back to the dizzy.

I got a code 9 which means the TDC sensor sob is dropping the ball or my motor is blown up. Since I was driving it around and everything seemed fine I'm pretty sure it's just the sensor. And sure enough it crapped out. Looked like it had been **** for a while and then finally just crapped out. So I get a new dizzy and throw that sob in there and go and check my timing. I didn't check it before or after install because I'm a friggen retard. But I drive around and its running like crap on the way to work. Luck for me they sent me home the second I got there which meant I had the rest of the day to work on my car with a nice lift and air tools. So I go ahead and check what my timing is at and it was all messed up. Can't remember what it was but it's at 15-16* right meow.

I get everything finished up and go for a "drive" along side a c6 vette =-). After maybe 5 or 6 runs of me trucking on him (at the speed limit (>.<) I head back to the shop and take a look at my ****. And what the hell. I have a thin layer of oil on the cold side of my turbo. I'm thinking wtf mang. The motor is fine, the turbo is new and it has never done any of this before. Then I remember that when I did my compression test my buddy seriously dumped oil into my cylinders to test the psi before and after like always. But from what he told me he put in a crap load. I normally do about a table spoon or so. I did the compression test on my old manifold, wastegate and shananigans. And that manifold had tons of cracks in it and when I finally put the plugs back in and the ignition/fuel pump fuses and turned it on I got the normal smoke from the exhaust but I also had oil literally oozing out of the cracks on my manifold and into the hot side of my turbo.

So this got me thinking maybe my rings and everything are good but maybe the 3 gallons of oil he poured down into my cylinders could be causing my problem. And remember, after I did the compression test I turned the car on and ran it for maybe 10 minutes til most of the smoke was gone and then the car sat for 3 days. I then swapped over all the parts, drove it to work, set the timing and did my speed limit driving belong side the C6. And until I drove with the vette I didn't do more than maybe 10% throttle. So the oil that had been sitting in there could be causing my problem. But even in that case, the oil shouldn't be leaking through to my cold side right? From what I've always thought the turbo seals have to be bad for there to be oil on the cold side of the turbo. And yes, I have a catch can. Just changed the oil 100 miles ago and there is barely anything in there.

The other thing is the oil was dark as **** and was a very thin amount. I wiped it up with a paper towel and it seemed more like charcoal more than oil. Wasn't slimy/greasy at all. Well that's all I got. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions let me know. The car is driving strong as hell, no cel's nothing...I'm just trying to see what everyone else thinks before I go and take **** apart again like I always do.

btw the motor is a fully built b18 with a gt40r. Have been and still am running 15psi. Thanks.

Brent
Old 03-12-2010, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Blow by or what?

any ideas?
Old 03-13-2010, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Can't really do anything with this damn rain. I'm off tomorrow and I'm going to drive it like I stole it and see if I can get the oil to keep coming out. No smoke from my exhaust at all, car is still running like a champ. I'll see what happens and post up once I put a few miles on the turd.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wow that was long
the oil u put in (while doing the compression test) was gone after a few minutes of the car runing
-take out the spark plugs and look down the hole for fluid
-take the charge pipes off to check for oil
Old 03-14-2010, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rev-speed
wow that was long
the oil u put in (while doing the compression test) was gone after a few minutes of the car runing
-take out the spark plugs and look down the hole for fluid
-take the charge pipes off to check for oil
Yea but the thing is after I did the compression test I ran it for a few minutes and there was still oil seeping out of the cracks in my manifold. I turned the car off once the smoke from the exhaust stopped. But the manifold was still smoking, and would smoke even more when I would rev it. After that the car sat for a few days til I got everything on, then the dizzy shananigans. Then I go and drive around with all the new stuff and there is DARK black oil. Seems more like soot than a liquid (like oil usually is). And that is why I was thinking it must have just been sitting in there.

I took everything off again and after driving pretty hard on it for about an hour there was a thin layer of dark oil within about an inch of the actual turbine. I took off the charge pipes and there was a very small amount of oil on the very end of the turbo and a little on the inside of the pipe itself. But that was only true for about the first 1-2 inches. There was no oil at all after that. I checked all the piping and it's a little dirty, but no oil.

I'm pretty much going to rule out that my rings are bad since I put the rings in and know everything was perfect. Plus I've never run more than 15psi, and the compression test is saying the rings are good, and the leak down says my valves are pretty much new. So that leaves me with the turbo seal. I've had blown turbo seals before. Usually on turbos near the end of their life. And they always have some kind of shaft play to go along with the oil. This turbo has 4,281 miles on it and there is no shaft play at all. So I just don't see what can be causing the oil in there. So far, in total there has been maybe 4-5 drops of oil. Maybe even less. It's a very thin layer and like I've been saying it doesn't even seem like a liquid. More like soot.

Let me know if you have any ideas. I'll probably be taking apart the turbo next week if I cant find something else and just change the seal to rule that out. But besides that, all I can think of is the oil from the compression test. Before that compression test I had no oil anywhere. After about 2 hours of me changing everything and I get oil...? I'm doing my best not to take everything apart because thats what I always do and it's usually just a waste of time. Thanks for reading my long *** posts too btw.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So I just drove around for about an hour. I haven't beat on the car like I did since the last motor. probably 10-12 50-top of fifth rolls and a crap load of smaller pulls along with some dig races and I just checked my turbo and it's clean as hell...Maybe I don't have a problem. =-)

Last edited by domestic_rice; 03-14-2010 at 04:39 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by domestic_rice
So I just drove around for about an hour. I haven't beat on the car like I did since the last motor. probably 10-12 50-top of fifth rolls and a crap load of smaller pulls along with some dig races and I just checked my turbo and it's clean as hell...Maybe I don't have a problem. =-)
hope not
but turbonetic turbos have that problem seal leak......
Old 03-15-2010, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your return line good? have seen them kink up and cause the oil to push out the seals.

-10an?
Old 03-15-2010, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by platinum00
your return line good? have seen them kink up and cause the oil to push out the seals.

-10an?
That actually COULD have been my problem. Yesterday or the day before I did what I usually do when I have a problem. Took everything off and checked everything. Took off the turbo, exhaust manifold, intake manifold, head, checked valves, springs, cams and put it all back on. Re routed my oil lines, boost lines, and cleaned up everything and put it all back together. And took it for a drive. Car drives just like it did before. I set the boost to 28psi instead of 15 and used about a half a tank of gas. A/F's were good, oil pressure was good, temp was fine. Got home, checked all the fluids and the turbo and nothing. No oil at all anywhere. So I'm guessing everything is good. Especially since I was running almost twice the boost this time too.

And btw I just realized I wrote some wrong info about the car/turbo. I have 3 cars in basically the same state. the built b18c w/ gt40r, ls/vtec w/ gt30r and this one. This motor is a b18b w/ a sc6176s. But everything still applies. I was just getting the engines and turbo mixed up since about 10 days ago they were all in pieces at the garage.

I'll post back up if I find anything else wrong. Thanks for the posts.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rev-speed
hope not
but turbonetic turbos have that problem seal leak......
yup, thats what has happened to everyone I've had so far. Thats one of the main reasons I'm using a precision on this car. First one I've used so far. Feels just like the 35r but with a tiny bit more lag. But I'm making more power than I did with my 35r. My compressor is a little bigger on the 6176 than the 35r but I didn't think it'd be that much of a difference.