Notices

turbo/b18b built up

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo/b18b built up

I was woundering if anyone that has built a turbo/b18b before could answer my questions about internals, valves, springs, etc. What would i need to be able to boost 20psi. What would be the bare minimum that I would need. If anyone with experience with this build, please feel free to make suggestions or discriptions of build (parts wise). Greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-22-2005, 12:28 PM
BCICAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: turbo/b18b built up (not2night)

I have the B18B (LS-vtec turbo). I am boosting to 14psi right now, but plan on going to 28psi. I have the Skunk2 valves, springs, and turbo cams. My tq and hp are still rising at 7500rpm. Right now I am at 351whp and 246wtq. As for internals I have the wiseco pistons and eagle rods...they should be good to 20psi, but that depends on what size turbo also. I need to rev to 8500-9000, but I am going to buy the 5-main block girdle. Alot of people say you don't "need" it, but I want it for peace of mind. It surely can't hurt, and there is a reason why GSR have it and the rev to 8000, while LS's don't and only rev to 7000. Just buy good quality parts, and do it right the first time. Spend the extra $$ and you'll be fine and happy down the road. Oh yea, and get sleeved too

Check out the pre-built ERL block and build your head. That ERL block would definitely suffice for 20psi.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:31 PM

Turbo is not really based on head work (valves, springs, etc...). Its all based on how you build you bottom end. You're gonna need some low compression pistons. I'm only running 9 psi and I went with Wiseco 9:3-1 pistons. JE and Wiseco are going to be your best bet on pistons. You can go with Standard size or Oversized pistons but (correct me if I'm wrong) your best bet is oversized. Hone out the block and have it Sleeved. Then you'll want better rods (Eagle makes good rods for a good price). After that you'll need to get bigger injectors, a better oil pump, better fuel pump, and some sort of fuel management (Uberdata or Hondata) and have it tuned. That should be good for close to 20 psi. Please feel free to add what I left out fellas.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:37 PM
BCICAN

Default Re: turbo/b18b built up (Ls InTeGrA RaCeR)

I fully agree.

I bought the 81.5mm (.020 bore) 8.8:1 pistons , walboro 255, 550cc injetors, hondata. If you buy the girdle, you'll need a gsr oil pan. I hear good things about the Pro Drive oil pump too.

Just research other people's posts and what they say they have on their cars. Do ALOT of research before buying any parts. It takes longer but you'll spend less and be happier in the long run
Old 01-22-2005, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo/b18b built up (Ls InTeGrA RaCeR)

First of all thank you for the info. Second I was also woundering what would be the best bore size or piston for turbo (maybe t3/t4). I think I should be trying to achieve low compression.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo/b18b built up (Dunc)

Your build sounds pretty mean. What are your times, if any?
Old 01-22-2005, 12:55 PM
BCICAN

The lower compression just gives you, for lack of better terms, more room for errors. Basically lower compression is good for turbos. 9.1:1 seems like a fairly common setup. As for bore, I am not sure and can't speak intelligently enough on "best" bore size. I just went .020 over to make sure the walls were good since my motor had 120,000 when I started.

As for times I have no idea. I bought the car bone stock with 120,000 back in April after and 85 yr. old lady T-boned me. It wasn't until last night that I got the hp where I wanted it for my current boost. So basically, the car has been getting built since April and I haven't had any time to see what it runs yet. I'm def. looking forward to taking it down the strip as soon as they open.
Old 01-22-2005, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm looking for about 400whp - 450whp with my B18b. Bottom end assembly is almost complete. I'm waiting for the last set of rod bearings to come in from Acura. I went with 9:1 CP pistons and Eagle rods with ARP rod bolts. Besides ARP head studs that's it for the bottom end. I had to overbore to 81.50mm on the stock sleeves. As far as my head I have Super Tech valve springs, Super Tech valve seats, Super Tech titanium retainers, Skunk2 intake manifold, custom grinded camshafts and a Hondata intake manifold gasket. I'm waiting for my Precision GT30R to get here. Good luck with your goals
Old 01-23-2005, 03:59 PM

Default Re: turbo/b18b built up (Dunc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dunc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have the B18B (LS-vtec turbo). I am boosting to 14psi right now, but plan on going to 28psi. I have the Skunk2 valves, springs, and turbo cams. My tq and hp are still rising at 7500rpm. Right now I am at 351whp and 246wtq. As for internals I have the wiseco pistons and eagle rods...they should be good to 20psi, but that depends on what size turbo also. I need to rev to 8500-9000, but I am going to buy the 5-main block girdle. Alot of people say you don't "need" it, but I want it for peace of mind. It surely can't hurt, and there is a reason why GSR have it and the rev to 8000, while LS's don't and only rev to 7000. Just buy good quality parts, and do it right the first time. Spend the extra $$ and you'll be fine and happy down the road. Oh yea, and get sleeved too

<U>Check out the pre-built ERL block and build your head. That ERL block would definitely suffice for 20psi.</TD></TR></TABLE></U>

Thanks and it will be fine for 40 + lbs of boost.
Old 01-23-2005, 07:09 PM
BCICAN

Default Re: turbo/b18b built up (ERL Performance)

There we go, someone who knows more about the ERL blocks. Yea I plan on coming to guys when I send my block out to get sleeved. I work with Steve Colletti, and he definitely has nothing but good things to say about you guys.