Notices

Turbo on an Automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo on an Automatic?

Anybody ever done it? Is it worth...I've seen it done on non-Hondas before, is it possible/worth it with the VTEC?
Old 02-03-2005, 06:44 PM

Default Re: Turbo on an Automatic? (EXCoupe03)

i share the belief with many on HT and most will say it is not worth it. I would say if you have an auto to either change it to a manual, or get a civic that is a manaul. just my .02, but really it is your choice. an auto tranny just sucks
Old 02-03-2005, 06:44 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

makes for great hole shots, but i dont know if the tranny can handle the extra power. at low boost levels it should be ok but if you have a heavy right foot i cant see the tranny lasting that long.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had a 94 ex auto turbo'd never had any problems, and I didn't think the tranny was all that bad... I always went from 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 though, I also downshifted. It worked real well until the engine blew.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:48 PM
xbB

Default Re: Turbo on an Automatic? (boostedcivicsir)

People do it all the time on show cars.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Turbo on an Automatic? (D's xB)

i often thought about it to save money if I ever had enough to get a turbo... it would be a drag thing only but... well you know... full throttle the whole way through is nice..

There is something that can be done with something like a slipper clutch or something in the tranny... someone posted an article on it, should make the tranny stronger for such apps, and also increases the RPM at which the engine drops before it switches...

Someone will remember it... I dont know if it is the best thing to do, besides getting a stronger casing and gears, but... it should help a lot. Also helps with power loss in the tranny.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:05 PM

Default Re: Turbo on an Automatic? (civiccpedx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civiccpedx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i share the belief with many on HT and most will say it is not worth it. I would say if you have an auto to either change it to a manual, or get a civic that is a manaul. just my .02, but really it is your choice. an auto tranny just sucks </TD></TR></TABLE>

I personally think that ANY honda is better in Manual...w/ the execption of say the Oddesy (or any other non-sedan/sport/SUV that they may make).

Most sedan's or SUV's in general are better, w/ exceptions here and there...but Honda's are def. better in manual. Just b/c i say so, oh and other reasons such as:
better gas mileage
more control over car
faster acceleration
Easier to fix/diagnose (in some cases)
(usually) longer lasting Transmission

i could go on for hours...
Old 02-03-2005, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo on an Automatic? (Apocolipse269)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Apocolipse269 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I personally think that ANY honda is better in Manual...w/ the execption of say the Oddesy (or any other non-sedan/sport/SUV that they may make).

Most sedan's or SUV's in general are better, w/ exceptions here and there...but Honda's are def. better in manual. Just b/c i say so, oh and other reasons such as:
better gas mileage
more control over car
faster acceleration
Easier to fix/diagnose (in some cases)
(usually) longer lasting Transmission

i could go on for hours...</TD></TR></TABLE>

And the fact that you don't have to destroy it to launch. Autos HATE when you floor it and slam it down into 1st. They make weird noises and whatnot. Grinding noises too.

Somewhere I saw some guy in Japan who did a project odyssey; he did a 5sp swap and it was pretty kickin. My old auto could never read my mind and it was pretty much its downfall.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo on an Automatic? (31flavorscivic)

ARe there any shift kits for civics? If so, installing one would help.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:50 PM

Default Re: Turbo on an Automatic? (B16aDasher)

I would say just stick to the rule of thumb GET A MANUAL! trying to race an auto is pointless your most likely gonna blow your auto tranny out within like 20 secs of testing it out. The show cars just have it to get a trophy but its not worth it unless you jsut change it to a manual tranny.(it's a lot more funner)
Old 02-03-2005, 11:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo on an Automatic? (hondatheart)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondatheart &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would say just stick to the rule of thumb GET A MANUAL! trying to race an auto is pointless your most likely gonna blow your auto tranny out within like 20 secs of testing it out. The show cars just have it to get a trophy but its not worth it unless you jsut change it to a manual tranny.(it's a lot more funner)</TD></TR></TABLE>
auto is good for bracket racing
Old 02-03-2005, 11:05 PM

Auto is good for drag racing as well, Also if I were to boost it would be with a auto trans. If you had 2 cars set up with boost exact same, auto and on man the auto will win in a race.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondatheart &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would say just stick to the rule of thumb GET A MANUAL! trying to race an auto is pointless your most likely gonna blow your auto tranny out within like 20 secs of testing it out. The show cars just have it to get a trophy but its not worth it unless you jsut change it to a manual tranny.(it's a lot more funner)</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL! Funner.........LOL!

You could use your auto tranny but in the end, like everyone is saying, it's gonna get screwed up pretty bad. What I would do is save up for another engine (same one you got with manual tranny) build the **** outta that engine and then swap out the whole thing and save the old engine and tranny. That way when you sell the car it will have the same engine and what not in it.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo on an Automatic? (SOHC4life 96)

There are some options to make that Auto stronger and reliable under alot more stress. There's a place in Fullerton CA that makes Torque converters or upgrades the stock ones to make them more stronger and lighter in weight. Cant remember right now who they are....that is an option.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo on an Automatic? (JunY)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JunY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There are some options to make that Auto stronger and reliable under alot more stress. There's a place in Fullerton CA that makes Torque converters or upgrades the stock ones to make them more stronger and lighter in weight. Cant remember right now who they are....that is an option. </TD></TR></TABLE>
yeah, i remember reading on HT about that too. I didnt pay too much attention to it tho, but i remember it was $$$$.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I remember reading it almost 4~5 years ago. It was a great info for Auto people.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo on an Automatic? (JunY)

Now I remember. They are called, "JMO of America" http://www.jmousa.com

http://www.hondatuningmagazine...erter/

Damn I have some good memory.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:56 PM

not worth it, you WILL want to shift with turbo. You will hate driving boosted but with an automatic...imagine it. auto sucks, manual - good
Old 02-03-2005, 11:58 PM

it can be done.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:12 AM

Default Re: Turbo on an Automatic? (carbing'ed)

yup, has been done before, and is continuing to be done...
Old 02-04-2005, 07:40 AM

Default Re: (Mr LaOcean)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr LaOcean &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not worth it, you WILL want to shift with turbo. You will hate driving boosted but with an automatic...imagine it. auto sucks, manual - good </TD></TR></TABLE>
With a auto it will always be in boost thats the good thing about it. Shifting is more fun imo but it does get old quick in heavy traffic.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:43 AM

Default Re: Turbo on an Automatic? (dadeboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dadeboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Auto is good for drag racing as well, Also if I were to boost it would be with a auto trans. If you had 2 cars set up with boost exact same, auto and on man the auto will win in a race.</TD></TR></TABLE>

um...are you a moron?
1. NO THE AUTO WONT WIN IN A RACE!!!, shorter gears...and more of them in a manual allow for faster acceleration and especially with a turbo more control over acceleration

2. the engine in an auto will blow after a while

3. WTF ARE YOU SMOKING!!! AUTO GOOD FOR DRAG!!! ARE YOU ON CRACK!!!
as stated in #1, manual has better controll over acceleration and better acceleration, so you my friend...are WRONG
Old 02-04-2005, 10:17 AM

Default Re: Turbo on an Automatic? (Apocolipse269)

but you cannot keep throttle open all of the time in a manual, like you can in auto, which is why they ARE good in drag, maybe not honda ones, but why do you think the so many drag cars custom built have a 2-3 speed auto? Im friggin building one with my uncle as we speak.. throttle open all time = good .. good built auto = faster more consistant times with no human error.

EDit ... also, since when does turbo EVER make a car easier to control in acceleration? NA is easier, Turbo is generally peaky... it is not easier to control.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:19 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Turbo on an Automatic? (CooBlueDAB)

there was a reason why gm put an automatic behind the 3.8 t types and gn's. well actually 2 the T5 couldnt handle the torque.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:33 AM

Default Re: Turbo on an Automatic? (dadeboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dadeboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Auto is good for drag racing as well, Also if I were to boost it would be with a auto trans. If you had 2 cars set up with boost exact same, auto and on man the auto will win in a race.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why is that.. With full throttle shifting you dont loose boost in between shifts..

Quick Reply: Turbo on an Automatic?