Notices

Tuning FPR

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2003, 08:55 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tuning FPR

I installed this JRSC on a friends Prelude SH. Worked out all the mechanical problems we encountered installing the kit. The kit is installed successfully now using the off the shelf Jackson Racing setup, nothing fancy. At first it drove like ****, big hesitation and bogging. No CEL's, obviously fuel related. We were told we needed a fuel pressure gauge (not included with the JRSC kit) to properly tune the JR FPR. Had to upgrade the fuel rail to accomidate a fuel pressure gauge.

Now the fuel pressure is tuned to the suggested static fuel pressure of 70psi, 42psi base and it still sucks! I know a FPR isnt the best fuel management solution but I know alot of ppl run them with adequate results. I spent hours adjusting the fuel pressure in 5psi incriments between 80psi and 50psi static pressure. At all fuel settings the car performed the same. Idled fine, good light throttle (under 1/3), hesitated and bogged when over 1/3 throttle. I dont get it, I never expected perfect performance but I would at least expect it to see a difference when I adjusted the fuel pressure so much. It handles the same at 50psi as it does at 80psi!

Im pretty sure the problem is related to fuel however I dont know why any adjustment I make doesnt seem to affect the hesitation. Perhaps its possible the FPR is defective? How does a FPR react when it goes bad?

TIA!
Old 12-07-2003, 09:09 AM
Moderator in Chief

Default Re: Tuning FPR (Muckman)

How many people actually use the FPR with their JRSC setups?
Old 12-08-2003, 06:28 AM
Moderator in Chief

Can FPR's be successful?
Old 12-17-2003, 07:56 PM
Moderator in Chief

Bump, one last time. Please help.

Does this sound like a bad FPR? I would greatly appreciate any suggestions I can try, aside from the obvious "dyno tune" it. I would hate to pay all that money to get there only for the tuner to tell me i have a bad FPR or its hooked up backwards or something stupid.
Old 12-17-2003, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the kit come with a FMU?? If it doesn't, I think you need to get one instead of using an adjustable FPR because the fuel pressure from a FMU is much greater and it's boost dependent.
Old 12-17-2003, 10:20 PM

Junk that JR FMU. It's a diphram design that sucks. Opt for a Cartek or Aeromotive.... I prefer the Aeromotive..
Old 12-17-2003, 10:48 PM
Brrraaaap!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (HoustonSi)

Does he have bigger injectors? That could be a problem, what about other fuel related mods?

Blaze
Old 12-18-2003, 05:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Blaze45)

I dont understand...are you tuning with an FMU or a FPR?

Think about air & fuel for a second...unless you have chipped the ECU to make the injectors spit more fuel (as boost increases)...and FPR is going to stay the static PSI level no matter what RPM, boost/vac pressure you are at.

You physically cant "Tune" with a Fuel Pressure Regulator. You set the FPR to a static setting and then tune with a FMU, Air/Fuel Controllel(AFC) or a standalone or chipped ECU.
Old 12-18-2003, 06:52 AM
Moderator in Chief

Im not sure exactly what the difference between FMU or FPR is by definition but he is using the Jackson Racing Adjustable FPR (called AFPR in the instructions) that came with the kit.

I do have a Vortech FMU (standard blue one) that I can try but it is not adjustable and Im sure its a different rising rate. He is using stock injectors, with a walbro fuel pump, and static pressure set at the recommended 70psi.

Are you guys saying the JRSC kit does NOT work with the parts that come with the kit? I know in a perfect world he would opt for bigger injectors and a professionally tuned standalone but the instructions mention nothing of spark plug gap, bigger injectors or even fuel pressure.

It just bugs the **** out of me that after spending 3 grand he has to spend more money to get the 3 grand kit to work. Thats not right, but I know that may be the answer. I want to confirm there isnt something that I installed wrong or a part that may be defective before I recommend spending more money.

Keith from Jackson Racing is a fricken moron and a liar! He has said the exact opposite from everyone else on this forum. He told us we dont need bigger injectors, dont need a standalone or fuel controller, dont need even a fuel pressure gauge. He says the kit should work great with the parts provided. Salesman first, technician second.

Thanks!
Old 12-22-2003, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

an fmu would look like this...

but i found of a jr in a prelude and i can't see where it is...

the only thing i could find is this...

http://www.hpoa.org/showthread.php?t=9714

hope this helps.

Old 12-22-2003, 10:14 AM
Moderator in Chief

Default Re: Tuning FPR (funky_cornbread)

Ok we're using the JR FMU thats shown in the top picture.

http://home.tampabay.rr.com/prelude/index.html
Ive been here before and this is where I found the recommended static pressure but has nothing about troubleshooting or posssible tuning issues.