Notices

Tuner Toy/Eagle rods rev question, as well as a question on SRP pistons.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuner Toy/Eagle rods rev question, as well as a question on SRP pistons.

I'm getting to the point where I'm starting to look into getting parts for my D16Z6. I plan on filling the block (sleeving $ > student $) along with built internals.

I was initially looking at getting Tuner Toy's rods and Arias pistons, but I emailed them and they said they're good to about 400-500hp, but only good to about 6,000rpms. I'm going to be looking to make 300+ HP, and I don't want to have to shift while I'm still making power.

Are eagle rods the same way or can you rev the **** out of them?

I also know a local tuner in my area that has a set of brand new SRP pistons for his old Y8, which he ended up getting rid of for a H22. He's offered them to me cheap and I was thinking they'd be a good pickup, but I've heard a few people say they're trash.

Are SRPs really bad or is their "bad rep" mostly due to bad tuning?
Old 02-12-2006, 12:49 AM

Default Re: Tuner Toy/Eagle rods rev question, as well as a question on SRP pistons. (Everyones Hero)

For your setup the Tuner Toys rods and SRP combo is great.Who told you they are only good for 6000rpm?
Old 02-12-2006, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Tuner Toy/Eagle rods rev question, as well as a question on SRP pistons. (Everyones Hero)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Everyones Hero &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Are SRPs really bad or is their "bad rep" mostly due to bad tuning?</TD></TR></TABLE>

BAD tunning period

u can take those parts to the 7500 redline the SOHC motors like and there will be no problems

i did, and still do , and still good
Old 02-13-2006, 04:50 AM

Default Re: Tuner Toy/Eagle rods rev question, as well as a question on SRP pistons. (pgmatt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pgmatt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">For your setup the Tuner Toys rods and SRP combo is great.Who told you they are only good for 6000rpm?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't remember her name, but the lady that I think is the wife of the guy that runs tuner toys said they were only good to about 6000rpm.

I want to get them, but I also want to be able to redline my car.

Thanks for the input guys.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tuner Toy/Eagle rods rev question, as well as a question on SRP pistons. (pgmatt)

I dont know anything about the rods but as far as the pistons go I believe it is just a bad rep, a lot of people hopped on the H-t hate bandwagon a while ago and throw out there opinion with no experience. Plenty of guys on here use them with no problem. Pm redzcstandardhatch, I believe he is shooting for 300 with SRP in his D series.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:14 AM

Default Re: Tuner Toy/Eagle rods rev question, as well as a question on SRP pistons. (SOHCD16y8)

Thanks again.

I don't want to cheap out building up my block because I know I'll regret it, but I do want to get good parts cheap, hence why I want the SRP pistons. I'm sure they're better than Vitaras and probably won't cost me much more than a set of them.

Another noob engine builder question. With Tuner Toy and Eagle rods do you have to notch the block? I heard you have to with LS rods, but I don't know about other aftermarket rods.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes u have to notch the block for the eagle rods
not hard tho, just gotta take ur time
Old 02-19-2006, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

does anyone know if you have to notch the block for tuner toy rods?
Old 02-19-2006, 03:21 PM

Default Re: (Iceman05)

yes, i did with my TT rods.
Old 02-19-2006, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Iceman05)

why do people worry so much about notching the block.

just go buy a $15 air grinder from harbor freight or ebay and go to town; takes like an hour max to do all 8 notches
Old 02-19-2006, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Pay2play killa)

Just make sure the edges are smooth, sharp edges hold heat
Old 02-19-2006, 07:33 PM

I'd pay the extra $$ for cp's, its worth it
Old 02-19-2006, 10:20 PM

Default Re: (Pay2play killa)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pay2play killa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why do people worry so much about notching the block.

just go buy a $15 air grinder from harbor freight or ebay and go to town; takes like an hour max to do all 8 notches</TD></TR></TABLE>

its a walk in the park...
Old 02-19-2006, 10:25 PM

Default Re: Tuner Toy/Eagle rods rev question, as well as a question on SRP pistons. (sc4dr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sc4dr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd pay the extra $$ for cp's, its worth it </TD></TR></TABLE>

oh yeah pay for the cps its like 25 dollars more, srp are overpriced econo pistons
Old 02-21-2006, 05:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tuner Toy/Eagle rods rev question, as well as a question on SRP pistons. (hybrdthry911)

cp = ??

the TT rods are good to 7000 witht he supplied hardware or 8000 with arp series 2000 hardware, its on the tuner toys FAQ
Old 02-21-2006, 05:52 AM

Default Re: Tuner Toy/Eagle rods rev question, as well as a question on SRP pistons. (solfly)

Are these the upgraded ARP rod bolts? http://tunertoys.zoovy.com/product/208-6001
8mm OE size rod bolts. Or do you have to get them elsewhere?

I think I'm going to pass on the SRPs I found and probably get Arias. I'll probably end up getting the Tuner Toy rods because they'll save me a bit of money, which I can use for other things, like new main/rod bearings.

Speaking of mains, are these: http://tunertoys.zoovy.com/product/BRG-D16 descent or should I go strictly OEM?
Old 02-21-2006, 08:50 AM

Ive had no probs with ACL bearings in my builds.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tuner Toy/Eagle rods rev question, as well as a question on SRP pistons. (sohc_turd)

What do I need to know about TunerToys H-Beam connecting rods?

Tuner Toys connecting rods...
Are torqued to 37Ft/Lbs
Require notching most blocks. (a standard procedure)
May need machining/honing of the pin end to match the pistons used. (again standard)
Can support up to 500Hp with the included ARP8740 Bolts
Can support up to 700Hp with customer supplied ARP2000 Bolts
Can support up to 7000RPM with the included ARP8740 Bolts
May support up to 8000RPM with customer supplied ARP2000 Bolts
Should be matched to your engine, using the factory manual procedures.
The above includes bearing selection.
Are sold for off road use only.

Old 02-21-2006, 08:43 PM

Default Re: Tuner Toy/Eagle rods rev question, as well as a question on SRP pistons. (solfly)

Thanks soulfly. I saw that in the other thread as well.

I assume the "customer supplied" ARP bolts are the 8mm OE style bolts for 33 and some change available on their website, correct?
Old 02-22-2006, 03:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no i dont think so
i will find out
Old 02-22-2006, 05:39 AM

I sent them an email asking if those were the rod bolts I would need or if I would have to find them elsewhere.

edit: Stacey replied to my email. The rod bolts available on their website are not the ones needed to rev to 8000rpm. She said the best thing to do would be to contact ARP to get the information from them.

Modified by Everyones Hero at 11:02 AM 2/22/2006
Old 02-22-2006, 05:02 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Hey Guys,

Thought I would post up to help clear some questions up. You can always hit us with an email at "Sales@TunerToys.com" if you have questions.

Craig

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by solfly &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What do I need to know about TunerToys H-Beam connecting rods?

Tuner Toys connecting rods...
Are torqued to 37Ft/Lbs
Require notching most blocks. (a standard procedure)
May need machining/honing of the pin end to match the pistons used. (again standard)
Can support up to 500Hp with the included ARP8740 Bolts
Can support up to 700Hp with customer supplied ARP2000 Bolts
Can support up to 7000RPM with the included ARP8740 Bolts
May support up to 8000RPM with customer supplied ARP2000 Bolts
Should be matched to your engine, using the factory manual procedures.
The above includes bearing selection.
Are sold for off road use only.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks Sofly, the above information quoted from our FAQ is all correct for the Tuner Toys rods.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Iceman05 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">does anyone know if you have to notch the block for tuner toy rods?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Notchins is required, and here is an excellent guide...
Engine Building Tips from Endyn

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Everyones Hero &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks soulfly. I saw that in the other thread as well.

I assume the "customer supplied" ARP bolts are the 8mm OE style bolts for 33 and some change available on their website, correct?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The bolts available on our site are upgraded bolts for stock rods. To get the ARP2000 bolts for the TT rods, you'll need to send ARP the measurements of the bolt that comes with the rod, and buy the proper bolt. We have not yet done that research due to time constraints. If someone wants to do that research, and get that ARP part number, we'd happilly subsidize a portion of the resulting purchase. Just let us know.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Everyones Hero &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Speaking of mains, are these: http://tunertoys.zoovy.com/product/BRG-D16 descent or should I go strictly OEM?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The ACL bearings wok just fine, but we don't suggest buying them if you are not already having machine work done to the block and crank. ACLs only come in "Standard" size. This means that you will need to have the block and crank size adjusted, if the bearings are tight. If you are just refreshing your bottom end, I would suggest plastigauging your existing bearings to see if they are within the wear limits. That way you might be able to just install the needed bearings, of the correct original color, and not have increased machining costs.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Everyones Hero &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...I want the SRP pistons. I'm sure they're better than Vitaras and probably won't cost me much more than a set of them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

SRPs are certainly better than Vitaras. With the SRP you'll have a better fitting forged piece, a better final compression ratio, and peace of mind. And if you are worrined about pricing, we'll give you a smoking deal on the SRPs if you buy TT rods at the same time.

That's it,

Craig
Old 02-22-2006, 10:19 PM

Default Re: Tuner Toy/Eagle rods rev question, as well as a question on SRP pistons. (TunerToys)

How come i was told 47lbs of torque with my rods when i bought them??? I guess its a little too late now. I hope 10lbs over don't stretch the **** out of them.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:56 PM

Default Re: Tuner Toy/Eagle rods rev question, as well as a question on SRP pistons. (sohc_turd)

This is why I buy from Tuner Toys great customer service which is not the easiest thing to find these days.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:41 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pgmatt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is why I buy from Tuner Toys great customer service which is not the easiest thing to find these days. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks! We truly focus on customer service, and are happy to hear that we are doing a good job for you guys.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sohc_turd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How come i was told 47lbs of torque with my rods when i bought them??? I guess its a little too late now. I hope 10lbs over don't stretch the **** out of them. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Not too sure what happened there. The FAQ is a recent addition, to help make sure everyone gets the right information.

Craig

Quick Reply: Tuner Toy/Eagle rods rev question, as well as a question on SRP pistons.