Notices

Tuned turbo B16A, might swap to B18 block or B20 block... a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuned turbo B16A, might swap to B18 block or B20 block... a few questions.

I recently got my car tuned with the new setup... The other night I was out driving and the car drove great and threw it into neutral for a few seconds and then put it back in gear and smoke started to come out of the exhaust. The car currently sounds like a WRX and smokes still...

I took out the plugs and i had oil on one of the plugs... I cleaned all the plugs up and put them back in, I also checked the intercooler piping for oil. None to be found. So I started the car back up, let it run for a few minutes with it still sounding like a WRX and turned it off. I took the "oiled" spark plug back out and it was once again covered in oil.

So sad to say that I either fucked up the rings, if thats it, that would be fine. lol or I cracked a piston, or cracked a cylinder...

I have a few options to go with...

1. Rebuild the B16 with just the rings for right now. That would suck since I do plan to rebuild it better anyways...

2. Go to the junk yard and get a B18 block and install it... I would need to get the LS head studs, and head gasket I believe. And also my current tuner's shop is down due to him upgrading the shop... it should only take a few more days though. If I did go this route, how bad would it be to drive around out of boost with a tune for a B16 block, but using a B18 block?

3. Buy a built B20 block for a good price, but it does have 11.5:1 compression. I could always get a lower compression head gasket and lower it to about 9.5 - 10 and run boost still. The same question for this about tuned for a B16, but running on a B20.

4. Sell a few parts of the turbo setup and get the B20 block and go all motor for a while, and then when money is of no importance again, go ahead and buy upgraded parts from the turbo setup and run a turbo'd CRV / VTEC motor.

Money is slightly tight currently, so i'm trying to think of the best and least expensive way to get my back on the road. lol

All opinions and options are welcome... well, some of them. :D