Notices

tryin to learn me some compressor maps, need input

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tryin to learn me some compressor maps, need input

So ive been reading for the past 2 days how to understand compressor maps and plot them for spool time and power rating. Im trying to decide how I should size a T3/T04B/E turbonetics but the amount of options that they give me are insane. I found compressor maps here... http://turboneticsinc.com/forum/turb...ochargers.html

but they dont really explain what the difference is with their "super" series and the standard trims. http://turboneticsinc.com/store/inde...product_id=572

this is for a non vtec b20b, high compression, looking for about 300whp. Ive plotted the following maps for full spool around 3000-3500...but then im not sure how the turbine wheel size and AR are thrown into all of this... It is my understanding that the compressor maps only plot the compressor side given optimal turbine side conditions, not even factoring other things like cam selection and exhaust size that affects how fast it spools.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: tryin to learn me some compressor maps, need input

You want my advise ?? Forget about them, look for the real world proof of what works and what doesn't. Or speak to someone with a **** load of experience behind them and get them to recommend a turbocharger for your application.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rich7777
You want my advise ?? Forget about them, look for the real world proof of what works and what doesn't. Or speak to someone with a **** load of experience behind them and get them to recommend a turbocharger for your application.
well i mean id love to do that but there is very little out there on non vtec b20's using turbonetic turbos lol
Old 10-20-2012, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Find someone lol, if they are a "expert" then they should be able to point you on the right track.

BTW, how did you get on with that degree kit ?
Old 10-20-2012, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rich7777
Find someone lol, if they are a "expert" then they should be able to point you on the right track.

BTW, how did you get on with that degree kit ?
couldnt get the damn thing to mount properly, didnt feel like buying a different style kit, so i just got impatient and started playing with the gears, didnt really like the way the changes felt so i just kept them at 0/0, but i did run 14.6 @ 93.5 last time around, but much to my dismay the trap speed did not change at all with stock cams vs the 402T's. Which is leading me to believe either crower sucks at making single pattern turbo cams, or there is something that went severely wrong with the port job on my head.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:05 AM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The problem with using compressor maps to choose a turbo is you dont know what your data points will be - Your pressure ratio will be or how many lbs/min you will need to flow to create xx hp. You're guessing every axxis of the map. Plus like you pointed out, this is only the compressor side. Like Rich said, look at real world results.