Notices

Tricks of the Emissions Trade...OBDII -> OBDI users

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tricks of the Emissions Trade...OBDII -> OBDI users

Greetings All, I am curious to read how some of the other forced enduced Honda's are passing their local emissions test with regards to the OBDII users who are using a tuned OBDI ecu.
My thoughts were to change out the injectors, leave my rear O2 in place, and put in the stock ecu and run the car that way for awhile to set the "readiness code" and then go for the test.
Are there any other solutions to get a OBDII wired car to pass emissions without all that work?
Old 05-09-2006, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tricks of the Emissions Trade...OBDII -> OBDI users (infulleffect)

$$$ and know the right people
Old 05-09-2006, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tricks of the Emissions Trade...OBDII -> OBDI users (Quad-Damage)

Ouch, lol...not what I expected...but its a start. In Pa, the emissions machine must plug into the OBDII port and connect to the ecu...there really isn't a way around that except by spending lots of money at a shop to put stock parts on.

Even if I drive less then 5K miles I will still have to be scanned by the emissions machine...
Old 05-09-2006, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by infulleffect &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My thoughts were to change out the injectors, leave my rear O2 in place, and put in the stock ecu and run the car that way for awhile to set the "readiness code" and then go for the test. </TD></TR></TABLE>
this is the only way I know of to do it (legally). it's really not that hard or time consuming. pull the wg spring so you don't boost and have at it.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tricks of the Emissions Trade...OBDII -> OBDI users (notoriousB)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by notoriousB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this is the only way I know of to do it (legally). it's really not that hard or time consuming. pull the wg spring so you don't boost and have at it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

in reference too:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by infulleffect &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My thoughts were to change out the injectors, leave my rear O2 in place, and put in the stock ecu and run the car that way for awhile to set the "readiness code" and then go for the test.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That was what I was afraid of...I have the smallest spring..2 psi maybe...so I'll leave that in and drive conservatively

Thanks for the input.

Old 05-09-2006, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

stock injectors with stock ecu. shift at 2500rpms (or take out the wg spring for reinsurance). i hope the emissions is close to you. i live like 3 miles from mine. coast in neutral all down hill. lol
Old 05-09-2006, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in PA too, where you at in PA?
also yeah
swap out your obd2 injector clips to obd1, then swap out your ecu, and injectors..
Old 05-09-2006, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (igo4bmx)

I'm in Western PA and will be swapping injector clips, injectors and ECU when it comes time to inspection.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I'm figured I'm screwed, I switched out the ECU, rewired in OBD1 injector clips, converted my IACV and have an internal wastegate. Good luck dude.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:14 PM
i HAS questions ?

Default Re: (VTcivicHB)

Don't bother swapping **** back to stock. Find someone with the same car and get both cars inspected at the same time, then just have them scan the other car twice.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:37 PM

Default Re: (daveG)

if ur obd port is badly damaged or somehow inaccessible there is an option on the emission machine that says " inaccessible" .. sometimes it gets used. and u then bypass the obd scan and still pass emission .
Old 05-09-2006, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (97grnrs)

I am going throught the same **** right now, running non-turbo w/ stock ecu, header & obd1 injectors & stock cat..... having a shop cut a flange off another cat to weld to my 3" thermal and hook up both o2 sensors.....

Last time I just drove the car through inspection.... got my huge failing list and took it to a certified repair shop, dished out $100 and presto, i was a passing car, but not anymore
Old 05-09-2006, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

get a PO box in another state and register your car there, thats why all of us close to florida in the surrounding states have florida tags

yeah you pay 300 bucks to register a new vehicle, including tags and all, but you never have to go thru emisisons **** again!
Old 05-09-2006, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mrbsponge)

UM..... I dont think that works in every state bud, I could be wrong....
Old 05-09-2006, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by infulleffect &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Even if I drive less then 5K miles I will still have to be scanned by the emissions machine... </TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't think this is true. My car was under 5k the last 2 years and I was told there was no need to scan the ecu.

I have also heard that if for some reason the ecu just doesn't connect/communicate you can pass emissions w/o it.

Edit My car is OBD1

Modified by simike at 11:14 PM 5/9/2006
Old 05-09-2006, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tricks of the Emissions Trade...OBDII -> OBDI users (simike)

I am obd-2 changed to obd-1 with a chipped ECU, when i goto emmisions i just swap in my old blue box and don't hit boost, i also run 525cc high impodence injectors to.

**** the only thing that the blue box has done for me.lol
Old 05-10-2006, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tricks of the Emissions Trade...OBDII -> OBDI users (simike)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by simike &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Edit My car is OBD1</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yup that would do it...OBD1 doesn't get scanned , to bad I didn't find an older teg to work with.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so what if you have a boosted 06 si?

then what do you do?

Old 05-10-2006, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97grnrs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if ur obd port is badly damaged or somehow inaccessible there is an option on the emission machine that says " inaccessible" .. sometimes it gets used. and u then bypass the obd scan and still pass emission . </TD></TR></TABLE>

i've heard of this method too. good thinkin! this is why i drive a 91 DA.......obd-0
Old 05-10-2006, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by infulleffect &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yup that would do it...OBD1 doesn't get scanned , to bad I didn't find an older teg to work with. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry, I meant it is converted to OBD1.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:38 PM
Very Emergency!!

that will work, but here in nevada, if the moniters for each sensor aren't met, then it still fails. just get a friend that does smogs. i'm a smog tech in nevada and it is alot easier just to get a friend that can help you will a "smog."
Old 05-10-2006, 02:40 PM
Very Emergency!!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97grnrs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if ur obd port is badly damaged or somehow inaccessible there is an option on the emission machine that says " inaccessible" .. sometimes it gets used. and u then bypass the obd scan and still pass emission . </TD></TR></TABLE>

if nevada, you will still fail if that **** if fuckerd up and i can't plug in my plug.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tricks of the Emissions Trade...OBDII -> OBDI users (Macan00n)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Macan00n &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so what if you have a boosted 06 si?

then what do you do?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dude, you have a new car.... it wont have to be inspected for many many years, dont know the exact #, but my boy has an 03 WRX and they just sent him the re-new stickers in the mail for another 5yrs w/o inspection, that is the benefit of buying a new car.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tricks of the Emissions Trade...OBDII -> OBDI users (96 GSR-T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96 GSR-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Dude, you have a new car.... it wont have to be inspected for many many years, dont know the exact #, but my boy has an 03 WRX and they just sent him the re-new stickers in the mail for another 5yrs w/o inspection, that is the benefit of buying a new car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The perks of living in DE, along with nice black license plates here in PA it is a yearly ordeal, and are plates suck.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The perks of living in DE, along with nice black license plates here in PA it is a yearly ordeal, and are plates suck.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No ****, even for a new car???? Damn thats fucked up.

On another note, there are only 99,999 black tags, the lower the # the more you pay.... my boys grandpop has #9 that he paid 300k for 15yrs ago.... prob worth almost a million today. My dad just sold a high 3 digit for 45k, just for a freakin license plate I had a 4 digit but I lost it when I forgot to renew my registration

Quick Reply: Tricks of the Emissions Trade...OBDII -> OBDI users