Notices

Traction problems for daily drivers?????

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traction problems for daily drivers?????

I was wondering if many of you who have daily driven F.I. cars have any major problems with traction breaking loose or any other problems while driving in city traffic or interstate/freeway. Seems to me that some rain could potentially wreak some havoc. Tell me some of your experiences.
Old 01-05-2004, 04:13 PM

Default Re: Traction problems for daily drivers????? (armrslr)

i daily drive my car, and unless you for some reason like to shift at high rpms you won't have traction problems outside of boost. if you have good tread on your tires even driving in the rain is like driving any other car. but once you get into boost its a totally different story
Old 01-05-2004, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I feather the throttle to avoid spinning too much in 1st and 2nd gear. 3rd gear is ok to go full throttle. Its not a huge problem in 1st or 2nd though I just play with throttle. I have 195/50/15 S03 pole positions and I desperately need an LSD.

Driving in the rain is just normal. I dont go into vtec or boost in the rain so i never encounter problems.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Traction problems for daily drivers????? (S03Burner)

1st, 2nd, and even 3rd could be troublesome. Just learn your car and be easy on the throttle for daily driving and esp. in the rain and I think you will be just fine. When pushing a lot of power in a FWD car wheelspin is just unavoidable.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:49 PM

are there wheelspin issues if you're only pusing 200 whp and 200 lb ft?
Old 01-05-2004, 06:52 PM

that depends mostly on your tires
Old 01-05-2004, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (brianSilverTeg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by brianSilverTeg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are there wheelspin issues if you're only pusing 200 whp and 200 lb ft?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was having traction isuues at 185whp and 175torque. Your gonna wish you had bought some street slicks or some sticky tires .
Old 01-05-2004, 07:16 PM
kaj
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (roydogg)

wheelspin is unavoidable while boosting. just keep the motor in vaccum and you'll be fine
Old 01-05-2004, 07:48 PM

Default Re: (kaj)

you just have to respect your car the car with if you do not have your foot in the boost will drive like any other car. you just have to respect the car i have even driven my boosted honda in the snow. Just keep the boost off and do things smooth and you will be fine.
Old 01-05-2004, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

traction is a problem in boost. and if your like me u love to drive in boost. 1, 2, and 3rd were always spinning if i punched it. especialy in the rain. at 60 i could spin my tires in 3rd without even trying. u learn to drive with your front end sliding side to side on the road.
Old 01-05-2004, 08:25 PM

Default Re: Traction problems for daily drivers????? (bmcc72)

Ditto for me. Falken Azenis 205 w/ LSD and I can still break em loose in 2nd gear on dry pavement, rain is a mess... got to take it slow.

It's really not any different thean any other high Hp car, other than when the fronts break loose, you tend to slide around...
Old 01-05-2004, 08:46 PM
OG triple OG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Traction problems for daily drivers????? (hybridsol)

first is horrible , the second i go into boost it throws traction in the trash...and if i shift into second while im loosing traction from first...second will be the same way , but like the others said , dont boost and youll be fine.

in the rain , dont ask
Old 01-06-2004, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have 195/50/15 S03 pole positions and I desperately need an LSD.

LSD will not stop wheelspin it is a wonderful thing though
Old 01-06-2004, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Traction problems for daily drivers????? (Barney Ruble)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Barney Ruble &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have 195/50/15 S03 pole positions and I desperately need an LSD.

LSD will not stop wheelspin it is a wonderful thing though </TD></TR></TABLE>

I never said why i needed an LSD, its not because im trying to stop wheel spin altogether. Rather the reason I want it is to stop one wheel spinning over the other.
Old 01-06-2004, 07:21 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by S03Burner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I never said why i needed an LSD, its not because im trying to stop wheel spin altogether. Rather the reason I want it is to stop one wheel spinning over the other. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah well I had a Quaife in my SI tranny, and I loved it so I decided to go ahead and put it in my LS tranny as well. My main concern was that I'm having traction problems in the rain now really bad, so I figured once I got the turbo on it wasn't going to be any better. I sure as hell don't wanna wreck my **** over stupid driving. I guess it will just take a little time to figure out how it wants to react.
Old 01-06-2004, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by armrslr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah well I had a Quaife in my SI tranny, and I loved it so I decided to go ahead and put it in my LS tranny as well. My main concern was that I'm having traction problems in the rain now really bad, so I figured once I got the turbo on it wasn't going to be any better. I sure as hell don't wanna wreck my **** over stupid driving. I guess it will just take a little time to figure out how it wants to react.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dont drive stupid and you wont crash. A turbo wont make a difference if you show some control and dont drive stupid.
Old 01-06-2004, 07:42 AM

who the hell expects to have traction while boosting in the rain?!?
Old 01-06-2004, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nevin)

If your tires spin too much, just tighten the nut behind the wheel.
Old 01-06-2004, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Traction problems for daily drivers????? (Hella_JDM)

I gotta question.. obviously its hard to avoid wheelspin.. but say you have a mustang 5.slow next to you.. how do you avoid wheelspin but still accelerate quick enough to keep up or win?
Old 01-06-2004, 08:56 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by armrslr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Seems to me that some rain could potentially wreak some havoc. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Captain obvious

We can barely get traction on dry pavement let alone wet.

Traction depends on alot of things Tires, suspension, driving ability(comon sense)
Obviously in the rain there is no need to bein boost, Im not making a ton of power now, but I have full traction by 2nd gear, 1st really isn't lal that bad If I ease into it correctly on my Azenis, but I stay away from full throttle 1st gear rolls.

The more power we make the worse it gets, it sjust one of thsoe ting sus FWD turbo cars have to deal with.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:07 AM
EPIC TUNING

Default Re: Traction problems for daily drivers????? (quikB18B)

dont boost all over the place and youll be fine.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:18 AM

Default Re: Traction problems for daily drivers????? (bmcc72)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bmcc72 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">traction is a problem in boost. and if your like me u love to drive in boost. 1, 2, and 3rd were always spinning if i punched it. especialy in the rain. at 60 i could spin my tires in 3rd without even trying. u learn to drive with your front end sliding side to side on the road. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I wouldnt do that in the rain, just drive normal and dont beat on it
Old 01-06-2004, 09:21 AM

Default Re: Traction problems for daily drivers????? (Excelerate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Excelerate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I gotta question.. obviously its hard to avoid wheelspin.. but say you have a mustang 5.slow next to you.. how do you avoid wheelspin but still accelerate quick enough to keep up or win?</TD></TR></TABLE>

you got to know how to drive you just dont mash the pedal. and that full throttle powershift on street tires forget about that.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:24 AM

just drive like your grandma and you ll be fine.

But some of us that have puck clutches cant avoid it one bit off the start.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (brianSilverTeg)

i try to keep the revs down if possible, but ive been pretty lucky with my Azenis on the street. they hold up very well at even high RPM revs, just not too good on launches on the street with high HP .

Quick Reply: Traction problems for daily drivers?????