Notices

Toronto Turbo New member RSX Turbo advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toronto Turbo New member RSX Turbo advice

Hello everyone.

I am the owner of Toronto Turbo.com and just yesterday purchased a 2002 RSX Type S. Been involved with turbo cars for many years but mostly domestic V8's.

Our import customer base has grow rapidly (mostly Honda's) so I thought it was time to build an Import shop car and purchased the RSX.

I would love to hear members advice and experience on building a turbo RSX with a stock bottom end. I would like to produce 500-600hp.

What are the limits of the stock parts?
What are some proven turbo set-ups?

Thank-you
Toronto Turbo
Old 12-18-2012, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Toronto Turbo New member RSX Turbo advice

Originally Posted by Toronto Turbo
Hello everyone.

I am the owner of Toronto Turbo.com and just yesterday purchased a 2002 RSX Type S. Been involved with turbo cars for many years but mostly domestic V8's.

Our import customer base has grow rapidly (mostly Honda's) so I thought it was time to build an Import shop car and purchased the RSX.

I would love to hear members advice and experience on building a turbo RSX with a stock bottom end. I would like to produce 500-600hp.

What are the limits of the stock parts?
What are some proven turbo set-ups?

Thank-you
Toronto Turbo
500-600hp can be done on a stock bottom end. it isnt recommended and may not last. a solid tune is a must obviously.

what is your budget? i guess that would be the first ?
Old 12-23-2012, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the reply.Since it is going to be a stock bottom end the costs should will not be a problem. Just wanting to know hwta turbo size, injectors people are using in theis horespower range.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:08 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I wouldn't run that much power on a stock bottom, end.... you're at the limit of the stock internals and if you don't have a really really good tuner, you're going to make the motor go pop
Old 12-23-2012, 08:35 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

I agree. Yes, stock internals of the K-series engines are more robust than the other engines, but that doesn't mean that you push those same internal components to its limits. Even with a good tune, the stresses over time after the dyno session will cause them to fail. When you go to those levels, it's not a matter if they fail, but when.

You are now going to get a lot of claims from people attempting to justify pushing the limits based upon dyno numbers and optimal conditions. This is not good validation of a reliable use of power for components, so please disregard them.

As for turbo choice, it's like any other vehicle. The turbos capabilities for maximum power are the same regardless of platform; it's just a matter of how that power is delivered. Coming from the v8 world, the power level you are asking for will be laggy compared to what you are used to, so be aware of that. About 60lbs/min or so is what's needed to make that peak power, so look to your need and budget to help guide your decision. We use the the same companies Yellowbullet does, so you can choose.

A word of caution. Because Hondas have a better power to weight ratio over the v8 platforms you are accustomed to, chances are you don't need 500-600 hp anyway. For most, 350whp or so from our cars, can easily match a 500whp mustang. So plan accordingly.

Welcome, and good luck
Old 12-23-2012, 09:00 AM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

I didn't know Canada made vehicles with v8 hehehe
Old 12-23-2012, 09:10 AM

Actually, there's a big v8 grudge match that happens every year in Michigan.. Serious competition.. Canadians come BIG when it comes to their V8s. Why do you think the Camaro is manufactured in Canada?
Old 12-23-2012, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by justYncredible
I didn't know Canada made vehicles with v8 hehehe
Not wanting to start a who's **** is bigger contest here..........

I have not followed it closley for the last year but Canada does/did hold the record for small block. It was in a Mustang with a Windsor engine..........Windsor is in Canada too! lol

You sent one of your big guns up to Canada in 2006 "Billy Glidden" and he was put back on the trailer and sent home by a Canadian girl "Sandra THE CHICK" and Billy never returned.
Here is the vid

All in good fun.........but lets get back to the topic of turbocharging a RSX. LOL
Old 12-23-2012, 10:18 AM

Well, the question you need to really ask is whack different than in the domestic world. What is the purpose of the car? Street/strip? Highway monster? All around go getter? Any daily commuting? Road racing?

Your engine management choices using the Honda Ecu are a bit limited, but any other standalone manamgent can be used. I guess we need more information before any kind of parts list can be thrown together here. Though some parts of the build are cookie-cutter, the rest is like in any other build.. You need to have a purpose in mind. Like on "The Bullet", few people will spoon feed information without reciprocation.

The more you tell us, the more we can help
Old 12-23-2012, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks.

It will be mostly a drag race car with minimal road use. First year I wanted to use stock parts and ECU and most likely will upgrade the bottom end the following year and ECU if need be. That is the reason I want to purchase something once if I can and use it the next year.

Question I see two different types of exhaust manifolds 1) the turbo sites behind the engine ( see many like this on ebay) 2) turbo sits on the drivers side pointing up. Where can you purchase these and is there any advantage?
Old 12-23-2012, 10:36 AM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

OP
I was just kidding. I work for Toyota manufacturing and I'm aware we have two plants in Canada and so does a couple American car companies
Old 12-23-2012, 11:07 AM

Thanks.

It will be mostly a drag race car with minimal road use. First year I wanted to use stock parts and ECU and most likely will upgrade the bottom end the following year and ECU if need be. That is the reason I want to purchase something once if I can and use it the next year.

Question I see two different types of exhaust manifolds 1) the turbo sites behind the engine ( see many like this on ebay) 2) turbo sits on the drivers side pointing up. Where can you purchase these and is there any advantage?
Well, you'll never be able to use the stock ECU alone The OBD2B and above series ECUs are unalterable, and would utilize an interface in order for it to work. So, K-pro from a company called Hondata would be your best bet. Access http://www.hondata.com and search K-pro for the specifics.

I believe in good quality steel manifolds and not cast, but that's just me. There are several companies that make this style manifold, and all are good. but like with most things, the NAME associated with it determines its cost (even if using the same steel). The ULTIMATE name is Full-Race, but not worth cost IMHO. (And yes, I've owned 1 or 2 in my day).

I'd look to the following companies below for exhaust manifold, and using T3 flanged system can work just fine. Like I said, its not all cookie cutter, and the advantage over these types of manifolds from the cast is mainly in workmanship, ease of repairability and improved exhaust energy flow to the turbo, as well as better placement within the engine bay.

Most of these can be simply found on the Sponsor Marketplace under Forced Induction at the top of the page, and have those types of manifolds that you're looking for in both T3 and T4 open and divided housings. If you want to use more than one wastegate (which is usually an option based upon what you're trying to do) but you may want to look at similar setups as to what may work for you best based upon the budget.

Is one particularly "better" than the other? Really its in the quality of the work, in which I still say stay away from Ebay if you can. The "sidewinder" type of manifold would work provided you'd be prepared to relocate and remove items.

JDL Auto Design

http://hondamarketplace.com/showthread.php?t=3106956

Phearable.net
AFI Turbo
Go-Autoworks.com
Spoolin' Performance.com
Old 12-23-2012, 11:20 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I mean the highest power I've ever seen on stock internals was this 800hp k24 ek hatch that was "supposedly" daily driven

Was it badass? Yes
Would I run 500+ HP on stock internals? Absolutely not
Old 12-23-2012, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

good to see another canadian on the scene representing.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks.

If it's a drag car with minimal use, then you can afford to push more power out of weaker internals. The time it is subjected to abuse is much less than a street warrior that sees 5th gear pulls on the highway, or a circuit roadracing car that builds heat and stress over time.

I am located in Toronto as well.. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions regarding different turbo layouts and their advantages/disadvantages.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys..............and Merry Christmas to everyone!