Notices

too much overlap cause lower compression test results?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default too much overlap cause lower compression test results?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

just wondering...i know i can answer own question within time, but i just wanted to see if anyone has had this problem after installing cams or a new head.
problem occured after i installed my newly ported and polished head along with some 62402 cams. before install compression checked out at:

1 - 185psi
2 - 185psi
3 - 182psi
4 - 187psi

after new head and cam install:

1 - 175psi
2 - 175psi
3 - 175psi
4 - 175psi

i was wondering since the head was vacuum and flow tested good...if it's the overlap in the cams/LSA?

oh this is on an LS motor.

Modified by shermanyang at 5:14 AM 9/20/2004
Old 09-19-2004, 08:29 PM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: too much overlap cause lower compression test results? (shermanyang)

definitly could effect it. as consistant as they all are, i wouldn't worry about it. let us know the new power #'s w/ the new mods.
Old 09-19-2004, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: too much overlap cause lower compression test results? (DIRep972)

definately will. dyno session this thursday. guess i'm gonna have to use my cam gears finally.
Old 09-19-2004, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: too much overlap cause lower compression test results? (shermanyang)

The longer the camshaft duration you run, the less compression you will pump. It makes sense that the longer the valves are open, the less time you will have to build compression numbers. On the dyno, start by advancing the exhaust a degree and retarding the intake by a degree. That will cut overlap. See if that builds you some more power.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: too much overlap cause lower compression test results? (earl)

thanks Earl...i've been reading up about how to tune cams/cam gears on FI cars and it's exactly as you have stated. anyway, today Charlie Moua and I tried tunning my cam gears using a compression tester...STUPID i know but it worked great!! first compression started off at 175psi...messed with exhaust cam advancing it 2*...175psi still. then retarded intake cam 2*...BINGO!! 183 psi!! was going to leave it...but i decided to advance the exhaust cam 1* more... 194 psi!!!

(btw, i did tune it after messing with the cam gears. running AEM EMS with UEGO wideband. made sure i recalibrated the w/b before tunning as well)

i don't know how i went from 185 psi(stock head/cams) to 194 psi(port polished head/62402cams)?

car definately runs 2x faster!! there's power throughout the whole band and turbo spools a lot quicker! head was flow tested(should of gotten chart/graph) by a shop and they told me it flowed better than an ITR head they were testing at the same time? hell...i don't know much about them flow benches...but they told me i did a damn good job of porting the exhaust/intake ports as well as the smoothing out the inner part of the valve seats. oh...i didn't have the proper tools to do a 3 angle valve job so i had the shop do that for me as well. anyway...here's a few pictures of the head before it was installed. i'll post up new dyno numbers this thursday after the tune.

Old 09-21-2004, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, those numbers are awsome. (I mean in your sig) What turbo you running?
Old 09-21-2004, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Interesting tuning method. I'm not sure that it will equate into more power by doing it that way. The problem could be that you are tuning on the wrong cam lobe for top end power but maybe it will help low end for everyday driving.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: too much overlap cause lower compression test results? (m R g S r)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by m R g S r &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wow, those numbers are awsome. (I mean in your sig) What turbo you running?</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks...i'm running a regular turbonetics t3/to4e .63/.60 57trim. what i really want is an SC61 or GTxxR
Old 09-21-2004, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: too much overlap cause lower compression test results? (earl)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by earl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Interesting tuning method. I'm not sure that it will equate into more power by doing it that way. The problem could be that you are tuning on the wrong cam lobe for top end power but maybe it will help low end for everyday driving.</TD></TR></TABLE>

actually Earl, top end feels a lot stronger. low end however drags from 1000rpm-2500rpm. 3k-8.5k pulls like a ****. there's no traction even with 17's from 5.5k on in 2nd and 3rd. but only the dyno can tell. my butt dyno is kinda useless...lol.

Old 09-23-2004, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

350.1 whp baby. 9/23/04 8pm 15psi, pump gas
Old 09-23-2004, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Really great results
Thats the more power I see from an LS at 15 psi. This was achieve on a dynojet?
On a mustang dyno I made 295whp /233tq at 15psi with an Sc61. But my cams(Crane 20) are probably too big for my turbo application. Guess I have to try a set of Crower 402T.
Now put some slicks on it and Go to the track!

Old 09-23-2004, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shermanyang &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">350.1 whp baby. 9/23/04 8pm 15psi, pump gas</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow, 350 WHP @ 15 PSI on an LS motor. Is this on a STOCK BLOCK?
Old 09-23-2004, 09:22 PM

Default Re: too much overlap cause lower compression test results? (Mean Street)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mean Street &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Wow, 350 WHP @ 15 PSI on an LS motor. Is this on a STOCK BLOCK?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Naw, he's got a built LS. Nice numbers so lets see the dyno. I'm curious if the tq still drops pass 6300K or will the cams flatten it out all the way to 7K. Also, did u have to tune your cams or did you just leave them set at 0 with your aem cam gears?
Old 09-24-2004, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: too much overlap cause lower compression test results? (Mr.DC2TurBo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr.DC2TurBo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Naw, he's got a built LS. Nice numbers so lets see the dyno. I'm curious if the tq still drops pass 6300K or will the cams flatten it out all the way to 7K. Also, did u have to tune your cams or did you just leave them set at 0 with your aem cam gears?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah.. i was there last night.. we had some misfiring issues kept crashing the pc running the dynojet.

Sherman's running a ported/polished head with crower stage 2 cams.. (don't know what numbers) with 9.5 pistons with darton sleeves.. last night he wasn't running an oil cooler though, and his blaster wire to the cap kept popping off, and he messed up the spark plug wires when changing plugs, so we had to borrow some from shane (ELITE).. he kept on changing the cam gear settings back and forth becuase for some reason things weren't running right. misfiring at about 5200rpm consistently..

We have the 350.1 run on video.. i just have to get it from charlie_moua and post it with sherman's approval.

excellent numbers considering all the issues..
Old 09-24-2004, 10:21 AM

great numbers man. im definatly feelin the shop lamp you got there. good choice of color.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:26 AM

Did you change the valves or are they the stock valves.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: too much overlap cause lower compression test results? (mchuang)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mchuang &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did you change the valves or are they the stock valves. </TD></TR></TABLE>

he's got stock valves..

i know you're not talking to me.. but.. anyway..
Old 09-24-2004, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: too much overlap cause lower compression test results? (redlinetuning)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by redlinetuning &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yeah.. i was there last night.. we had some misfiring issues kept crashing the pc running the dynojet.

Sherman's running a ported/polished head with crower stage 2 cams.. (don't know what numbers) with 9.5 pistons with darton sleeves.. last night he wasn't running an oil cooler though, and his blaster wire to the cap kept popping off, and he messed up the spark plug wires when changing plugs, so we had to borrow some from shane (ELITE).. he kept on changing the cam gear settings back and forth becuase for some reason things weren't running right. misfiring at about 5200rpm consistently..

We have the 350.1 run on video.. i just have to get it from charlie_moua and post it with sherman's approval.

excellent numbers considering all the issues.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

they're 9:1 pistons Joe. but yeah...i was misfiring like crazy!! i'm not sure what the problem was. maybe HEAT? Cam timing? need to losen up valves(tightest clearance possible .003 intake/.006 exhaust), need better plug wires?

here's the link to the thread with the dyno chart:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1002143
Old 09-24-2004, 09:54 PM

what tools did you use to port your head? and howd' you protect your valve seats from gettin knicked ?
Old 09-25-2004, 12:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: too much overlap cause lower compression test results? (project dc2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by project dc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what tools did you use to port your head? and howd' you protect your valve seats from gettin knicked ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i used a dremel with sanding bits and flexible extension arm, and when i worked around the valve seats i was extra careful.
Old 09-25-2004, 09:53 AM

So basically you just tuned the cam gears for maximum compression?

It would be interesting to see how this relates to power output.
Old 09-25-2004, 10:54 AM

Default Re: too much overlap cause lower compression test results? (rioninja)

awesome job, you should be really proud of yourself. any before / after pics of the head?
Old 09-27-2004, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shermanyang &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

they're 9:1 pistons Joe. but yeah...i was misfiring like crazy!! i'm not sure what the problem was. maybe HEAT? Cam timing? need to losen up valves(tightest clearance possible .003 intake/.006 exhaust), need better plug wires?

here's the link to the thread with the dyno chart:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1002143</TD></TR></TABLE>

yah.. you def. need new / better plug wires.. 9:1, 9.5:1.. close enough. heheh.

like i said in the other thread.. you'll have to show me that valve adjustment ****.. i need to see it to let it sink in my head..
Old 09-28-2004, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: too much overlap cause lower compression test results? (redlinetuning)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by redlinetuning &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yah.. you def. need new / better plug wires.. 9:1, 9.5:1.. close enough. heheh.

like i said in the other thread.. you'll have to show me that valve adjustment ****.. i need to see it to let it sink in my head.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah...i just adjusted my valves last night in the parking lot at my work place. i increased the opened up the gap and it seems to run a whole lot better. makes me wonder...how much power would i be making now? anyway, 2nd gear peels out all the way from 5k to 7.5k now if you start from a roll.

joe, just hit me up this saturday or just come with charlie and myself to my buddy's house. i got to install a new clutch for him and we're also going to install some new springs for Dana. my buddy's a DJ and he's competeing for a spot for an event in downtown minneapolis. he's also throwing a house warming party at his place this saturday too so there's gonna be massive beer!!
Old 09-28-2004, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: too much overlap cause lower compression test results? (94goldjungsr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94goldjungsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">awesome job, you should be really proud of yourself. any before / after pics of the head?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah...if you search under my name for topics created you'll see the before and beginning stages of the porting.

Quick Reply: too much overlap cause lower compression test results?