Notices

Today was a bad day... any advice would be appreciated.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Today was a bad day... any advice would be appreciated.

So today I finished my turbo install in my B18b Civic Cx hatch...

I primed the oil lines, then primed the turbo and started her up... she idled beatifully for about 20 minutes as i let her warm up fully... then i shut her off.

about ten minutes later, after doing nothing to the car i went ot start her again to take her out for the first time, and she didn't start.

when i turn the key, i get a clicking sound - i've heard this sound before when the car wouldn't start a couple years ago with the old engine - it was just a bad ground.

so, i charged the battery, fiddled with the ground - didn't work, so i used another car's ground (battery terminal) and that didn't work... i know my battery is full and i saw someone once throw 12 volts right onto the starter wire or something like that just to make sure the line from teh starter to the batt was good, tried doing that, didn't work...

any ideas or help would be appreciated - it really sucks to hear it purr for the first time with the turbo and then have nothing... thanks people.
Old 11-25-2004, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Today was a bad day... any advice would be appreciated. (86hatchfire)

how many miles are on the car ? , i know it's far fetched, but the started might have really went bad.

sounds like a ground though. what about the other engine grounds. not just the one on the battery.

platinum.
Old 11-25-2004, 04:42 PM

Default Re: Today was a bad day... any advice would be appreciated. (platinum00)

about 85k on the engine, but it sat in a wrecked teg for 2 years...

is there any way to put current directly to the starter to know if it's dead?
and
where are the other grounds on the engine that i might be missing - would that not let it start?

word
Old 11-25-2004, 04:44 PM
OG triple OG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Today was a bad day... any advice would be appreciated. (86hatchfire)

is it hot over there , maybe your main relay went bad?
Old 11-25-2004, 04:48 PM

Default Re: Today was a bad day... any advice would be appreciated. (Hella_JDM)

it's like between 50-30 every day...

what is my main relay? where is it located and how do I know if it went bad? Is it a fuse? because i've checked every damn fuse i can find on the car...
Old 11-25-2004, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you just hook the starter up directly to the positive side. that may or may not work. if you grounds are still messed up. its not going to work right this way either.

if your going to try this. make sure you car is in neutral. i know it sounds stupid, but i have seen it happen.

platinum.

Old 11-25-2004, 04:52 PM

Default Re: Today was a bad day... any advice would be appreciated. (platinum00)

yeah okay, that's exactly what i already tried, i didn't know if i had to go batt - starter adn antoher wire to starter at the same time or just batt - starter... which i tried, what's up with the main relay idea? what's that do?
Old 11-25-2004, 04:53 PM

rotate the engine with the crank bolt, then try it again, you might have broken a tooth on the starter, and if it works, replace the starter.
Old 11-25-2004, 04:55 PM

Default Re: Today was a bad day... any advice would be appreciated. (StrokedPSI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by StrokedPSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">rotate the engine with the crank bolt, then try it again, you might have broken a tooth on the starter, and if it works, replace the starter.</TD></TR></TABLE>

how do you rotate the engine with the crank bolt?
Old 11-25-2004, 04:57 PM

get the proper socket (I don't remember what size), and put it on a ratchet and rotate it the way it normally turns during normal operation. You could probably just strong-arm it and turn the crank pulley itself.
Old 11-25-2004, 05:06 PM

Default Re: Today was a bad day... any advice would be appreciated. (StrokedPSI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by StrokedPSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">get the proper socket (I don't remember what size), and put it on a ratchet and rotate it the way it normally turns during normal operation. You could probably just strong-arm it and turn the crank pulley itself.</TD></TR></TABLE>

so i have to pull the starter - find what the starter turns and turn that via a socket?
Old 11-25-2004, 05:11 PM

no, you don't need to pull the starter. All you need to do is turn the engine so the crank (flywheel) moves (take it out of gear, put the e-brake on, and rotate the crank pulley about 90 degrees if you can), so if you have a broken tooth on it you catch a good one when the starter is engaged by you turning the key. Also if that doesn't work, have someone turn the key over and bang on the starter with a pipe or something to release a posibly stuck solenoid.
Old 11-25-2004, 05:19 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by StrokedPSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no, you don't need to pull the starter. All you need to do is turn the engine so the crank (flywheel) moves (take it out of gear, put the e-brake on, and rotate the crank pulley about 90 degrees if you can), so if you have a broken tooth on it you catch a good one when the starter is engaged by you turning the key. Also if that doesn't work, have someone turn the key over and bang on the starter with a pipe or something to release a posibly stuck solenoid.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Okay, I'll do both of those tomorrow morning with my buddy... so you all feel pretty confident that the starter is just not working?
Old 11-25-2004, 05:19 PM

kind of barbaric but hit the starter a couple times, maybe the syleniod is stuck.also make sure the alternater is charging the batt, if it already ran for twenty minutes that could be your next problem
Old 11-25-2004, 05:22 PM
OG triple OG

Default Re: (WREKONIZE V8 KLR)

have you tried to jump the car?
Old 11-25-2004, 05:24 PM

Default Re: (Hella_JDM)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hella_JDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">have you tried to jump the car?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, a bunch, no luck same result, that was my first thought actually, i mean at least if the batt. ground was bad that would have solved it since i was using my other cars ground..
Old 11-25-2004, 05:26 PM
OG triple OG

Default Re: (86hatchfire)

check all your engine grounds . check all your appropriate fuses......
Old 11-25-2004, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hella_JDM)

Take a long screwdriver or pry bar, stick the other end on the starter. Bang the other end of the pry bar with a hammer. While someone is trying to start the car. Keep on turning the key till it turns over. 50/50 chance itll start if its a bad starter.

P.S. You put a turbo kit on your car and dont know how to turn the motor over?????

PLEASE tell me your having someone tune this thing.......
Old 11-25-2004, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it's a 31mm socket for the crank pulley. also remember to spin it clockwise ( as your looking at it). if it ran fine before, it's probably just a loose wire on the battery/starter electrical system, give all your connections a tug and make sure there tight. I love spellcheck.
Old 11-25-2004, 07:07 PM

Default Re: (Calculator)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Calculator &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Take a long screwdriver or pry bar, stick the other end on the starter. Bang the other end of the pry bar with a hammer. While someone is trying to start the car. Keep on turning the key till it turns over. 50/50 chance itll start if its a bad starter.

P.S. You put a turbo kit on your car and dont know how to turn the motor over?????

PLEASE tell me your having someone tune this thing.......</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I definetly will get it tuned, i'm going with a FMU for now, yeah i know i know bad bad bad...

I consider the whole thing a learning process, so yeah, there is stuff i have no clue about, and that's why i come to you guys - you give great advice - and i really appreciate it.

this car satisfies all my needs of mechanical learning, its a project, it's my own "class" in learning about cars - a college student can only get so much international law down his throat before he needs to get dirty.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-25-2004, 07:14 PM

Default Re: (grndcont)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by grndcont &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it's a 31mm socket for the crank pulley. also remember to spin it clockwise ( as your looking at it). if it ran fine before, it's probably just a loose wire on the battery/starter electrical system, give all your connections a tug and make sure there tight. I love spellcheck.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I guess my biggest problem is that I feel like i've jiggled the hell out of all of the connections... what i'm trying to think of is any i might have missed, things that aren't obvious:

I've checked every fuse in each fuse box... no go
I've checked and rechecked the ground, even using another cars ground for the battery, so that't can't be it.
I've put 12 volts right on the starter nada

Things i still don't understand: - what is the main relay and how could I have blown it - is this a fuse?
If i broke a Tooth off of my starter - would I hear the starter making any noise at all when i turn the key, because i'm getting nothing - just dead.

thanks again everyone
Old 11-25-2004, 07:19 PM

god damn, you guys make this **** way to hard/complicated.

just take out the starter (only 2 bolts) and go to autozone and have them test it
Old 11-25-2004, 07:21 PM

Default Re: (gritsak)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gritsak &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">god damn, you guys make this **** way to hard/complicated.

just take out the starter (only 2 bolts) and go to autozone and have them test it</TD></TR></TABLE>

word, I'll be there when they open tomorrow.

thanks.
Old 11-25-2004, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Subscribing to hear the answer.....
Old 11-25-2004, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

push start the car. see if it still starts, if it does its the starter yo

Quick Reply: Today was a bad day... any advice would be appreciated.