Notices

Tilton for street use (question)

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Tilton for street use (question)

For those that have experience I am curious how long the Tilton ceramic/metalic stands up to street driving on a daily basis. I have searched and know that it is "streetable" but how long does it last before the discs need replacing?
Thanks
Old 06-07-2004, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Tilton for street use (Dublocivic)

i suggest the tilton release bearing with the tilton clutch if you intend to run it on your street car. otherwise the engagement point is extremely small.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tilton for street use (SEFIxCivic)

is that the hydraulic bearing? with the ss lines and all..(the one that eliminates the factory clutch slave?)

Modified by Dublocivic at 1:06 PM 6/8/2004
Old 06-07-2004, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

for a street car, the exedy twin disk makes a *lot* of sense
Old 06-07-2004, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tilton for street use (Full-Race Geoff)

welp.. I just purchased/traded some **** for a tilton.. I hope it'll do for some(approx 3xweek) driving.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:01 PM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Full-Race Geoff &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">for a street car, the exedy twin disk makes a *lot* of sense</TD></TR></TABLE>

what makes you like the exedy geoff?

Modified by DIRep972 at 9:03 AM 6/8/2004
Old 06-07-2004, 10:37 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: Tilton for street use (DIRep972)

are you making that MUCH POWER?

i thikn you went a little overboard on the clutch.. i undersatnd if your running around with like between 500-1000 hp/tq .. but i guess its a good buy
Old 06-08-2004, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tilton for street use (ShowTymers619)

Yes, with my setup I will exceed a sing disc's torque capability. I dont want to be replacing clutches every other day at the track.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have done many setup for customers with Tilton OT-II the twin ceramettalic with OEM FLywheel. We machined the flywheel down to about 13 lbs and install the friction surface and match the flywheel for thre OT-II pressure plate.

The results, very streetable with medium weight flywheel. Tilton flywheel is great, but from my experience it is too light on the street. You'll spool faster since your engine speed goes up quicker, but you'll also fall out of rev faster during downshifting during turns and etc. Unlike drag cars, that do not require downshifting. or you can get used to hell and toe driving with tilton flywheel

Here are some pics..

Underside of the OEM flywheel,

Notice the pressure plate bolts and the heatshield plate bolts !

Another close up 1
Another close up 2

Hope this helps..

stan
Old 06-08-2004, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tilton for street use (Flamenco-T)

whats the cost on those exedy dual disks???
Old 06-08-2004, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the exedy has a very innovative and patented design on the lever arm, it uses a pull type clutch cover which loads it in the correct direction not placeing a force in the opposite direction. also the lever arm is effectively lengthened so the lever ratio is much better makign the pedal feel better too. The whole probelm with this idea is that traditionally you could not hold the bearing well to the PP, but exedy patentend a snap in bearing that does not pop off.

basically -- the pedal feel is phenomenal, high rpm disengagement is excellent and the throwout bearings will never pop off

with respect to the stock flywheel idea -- i too have always been a supporter of heavier flywheels on street cars simly becasue there is more lower rpm torque. however, it really does wear the sycnros out much faster using a heavier flywheel/clutch assembly.

also exedy patented a cushioned clamp, and a constant plate travel so friction surface area never changes, allowing for as much of a linear pedal feel as is possible, as much life as possible, and the least amount of rattling between twin disc clutches (most rattle when disengaged). also it prevent the fw side disc wearing out sooner than the pp side disc, something common on twin discs.

bascially, exedy did their homework.

edit: it comes with a flywheel too
Old 06-08-2004, 12:29 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Full-Race Geoff &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">with respect to the stock flywheel idea -- i too have always been a supporter of heavier flywheels on street cars simly becasue there is more lower rpm torque. however, it really does wear the sycnros out much faster using a heavier flywheel/clutch assembly.</TD></TR></TABLE>

How does using a heavier(stock) flywheel wear out the sycnros more?????
Old 06-08-2004, 12:37 PM
Smarter than you

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Full-Race Geoff &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the exedy has a very innovative and patented design on the lever arm, it uses a pull type clutch cover which loads it in the correct direction not placeing a force in the opposite direction. also the lever arm is effectively lengthened so the lever ratio is much better makign the pedal feel better too. The whole probelm with this idea is that traditionally you could not hold the bearing well to the PP, but exedy patentend a snap in bearing that does not pop off.

basically -- the pedal feel is phenomenal, high rpm disengagement is excellent and the throwout bearings will never pop off

with respect to the stock flywheel idea -- i too have always been a supporter of heavier flywheels on street cars simly becasue there is more lower rpm torque. however, it really does wear the sycnros out much faster using a heavier flywheel/clutch assembly.

also exedy patented a cushioned clamp, and a constant plate travel so friction surface area never changes, allowing for as much of a linear pedal feel as is possible, as much life as possible, and the least amount of rattling between twin disc clutches (most rattle when disengaged). also it prevent the fw side disc wearing out sooner than the pp side disc, something common on twin discs.

bascially, exedy did their homework.

edit: it comes with a flywheel too</TD></TR></TABLE>

wow that was more of an explanation then I bargained for. Reason I edited my post about the flywheel is cause I went ahead and did some research and figured it out for myself. thanks though. one thing I like is that their flywheel is 9 1/2lbs which looks a little more appealing on paper but im not sure how much 2lbs is really going to make a difference.

one question for you Geoff, do you see any relationship between the motor's rev characteristics and running a heavier harmonic balancer like a fluidamper? I was thinking the heavier then stock fluidamper might offset the lightweight flywheel a bit?
Old 06-08-2004, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a heavier pulley, while it is heavier is not nearly the size of the flywheel. it would help a tiny bit, but its almost negligable.

the diameter of where the weight is placed (called distance from centroid of the circle) effects the actual inertia load the the engine sees. For example take a 5 pouind weight and hold it to your chest then do a 360. then take that 5 pound weight hold your arm out and do a 360. its the location of the weight from the centerline.

oh and the exedy is well priced and you can use the stock throwout just fine... good price, easy install, awesome performance and it comes with a flywheel. We will be testing it on our race car, we are replacing the tilton with it, so i will keep you posted, if there is a good test on a clutch the race car with 28s should do it.

edit: The tilton is a proven clutch and there is by no means ANYTHING wrong with it!!! the exedy is not yet proven so dont jump out and buy one then get mad at me

Modified by Full-Race Geoff at 5:28 PM 6/8/2004
Old 06-08-2004, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Geoff, Im with you there on the Exedy.

I believe GOLDMEMBER is using this setup, makes sense since he is sponsored by them. Im sure he can answer more questions on how well they work at the track, but dont know if he can offer any feedback for street driven cars.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:50 PM
the son and the heir

Whats the price on an Exedy Twin disc btw?
Old 06-08-2004, 01:56 PM

Default Re: Tilton for street use (CRX T-Si)

Any comments on my question????
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRX T-Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How does using a heavier(stock) flywheel wear out the sycnros more?????</TD></TR></TABLE>

Whats up 93LSivic.
Old 06-08-2004, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Full-Race Geoff &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the exedy has a very innovative and patented design on the lever arm, it uses a pull type clutch cover which loads it in the correct direction not placeing a force in the opposite direction. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Do you have a picture of the cover you could put up? You don't mean pull type like mkiv supra pressure plates do you?
Old 06-08-2004, 02:07 PM

Default Re: Tilton for street use (macrosshn)

I can feel the Exedy Twin plate bandwagon coming on...
Old 06-08-2004, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tilton for street use (macrosshn)

i am quite sure it is a lot more than stan is charging for the tiltons, damn fast turbo has some badass pricing
Old 06-08-2004, 02:58 PM
Smarter than you

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Full-Race Geoff &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a heavier pulley, while it is heavier is not nearly the size of the flywheel. it would help a tiny bit, but its almost negligable.

the diameter of where the weight is placed (called distance from centroid of the circle) effects the actual inertia load the the engine sees. For example take a 5 pouind weight and hold it to your chest then do a 360. then take that 5 pound weight hold your arm out and do a 360. its the location of the weight from the centerline.

oh and the exedy is well priced and you can use the stock throwout just fine... good price, easy install, awesome performance and it comes with a flywheel. We will be testing it on our race car, we are replacing the tilton with it, so i will keep you posted, if there is a good test on a clutch the race car with 28s should do it.

edit: The tilton is a proven clutch and there is by no means ANYTHING wrong with it!!! the exedy is not yet proven so dont jump out and buy one then get mad at me

Modified by Full-Race Geoff at 5:28 PM 6/8/2004</TD></TR></TABLE>

I wanna say the fluidamper is like 2.5lbs over stock, id have to ask art for sure, but I see what you mean it really wouldn't change much. thank you.
Old 06-08-2004, 03:01 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Geoff, you dont sell Exedy by any chance do you?
Old 06-08-2004, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tilton for street use (Muckman)

i was ordering the titlton twin cermatillic with the lighten flywheel it comes with for my street car u guess think i should stick with my stock wheel but i dont want to eat up syncros though
i do have a pt-67 turbo (type) on a b18 so right now it take a minute to spool but with alighter flywhell it would be better i would think but falling on downshifting and highway speed will suck bad
Old 06-08-2004, 03:42 PM

Default Re: Tilton for street use (buck02)

Geoff, you dont sell Exedy by any chance do you?

we are working on it.
Old 06-08-2004, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Tilton for street use (Full-Race SOHC)

We sell a lot of exedy. I believe the pricing for the twin setup is around 1300ish.

Quick Reply: Tilton for street use (question)