Notices

tial 38mm wastegate installation question

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tial 38mm wastegate installation question

i bought a kit that came with a tial 38mm wastegate it has two outlets i guess
and it came with a dump tube but i dont know how to install it....
Old 07-03-2007, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tial 38mm wastegate installation question (eglslsd)

i dont have a ebc or a mbc
Old 07-03-2007, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow...

There are two ports on the wg. One port bolts onto the manifold (blocked off by valve), and the other is where the dump tube bolts on to(you can look into the wg and see the valve stem).

If you don't have any form of boost controller, it's simple don't screw in the vacuum source port on the top of the wg. Or you could, just make sure that it is turned so that isn't open.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (90sedan)

i have two small openings on the top and on the side witch one should i block offif i dont have a boost controller?
can i leave the it with out the dump tube?
Old 07-03-2007, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The top vacuum port is for the boost controller. The side needs to be routed to a vacuum source, either on a vacuum manifold or on the intake manifold.

You could run without a dumptube...but you shouldn't because of the hot exhaust gases that will be shooting out. Put the dumptube on.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90sedan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The side needs to be routed to a vacuum source, either on a vacuum manifold or on the intake manifold.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
NO, NO, NO, NO
no vacuum source, boost source, aka compressor cover/UICP/hot side end tank of intercooler

Old 07-03-2007, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TiAL)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TiAL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
NO, NO, NO, NO
no vacuum source, boost source, aka compressor cover/UICP/hot side end tank of intercooler

</TD></TR></TABLE>

ive always used vacuum manifold.. holds 25psi steady as a rock all the way up to 8500rpms..
Old 07-03-2007, 08:28 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TiAL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
NO, NO, NO, NO

</TD></TR></TABLE>

dude.. it still works.
so many guys t from the manifold or brake booster.

There was a post a while back where I gave the same advice and you were rude to me because of it, yet everyone else that came in the thread said that it was okay to t off the manifold or brake booster.

You would expect a representative from a company that makes wastegates to be more polite to people who may be considering buying one of their products....
Old 07-03-2007, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (numbnuts22715)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by numbnuts22715 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

dude.. it still works.
so many guys t from the manifold or brake booster.

There was a post a while back where I gave the same advice and you were rude to me because of it, yet everyone else that came in the thread said that it was okay to t off the manifold or brake booster.

You would expect a representative from a company that makes wastegates to be more polite to people who may be considering buying one of their products....</TD></TR></TABLE>

it has nothing to do with performance, it has to do with internal parts
not that anyone actually listens on this site
Old 07-03-2007, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it has nothing to do with performance, it has to do with internal parts
not that anyone actually listens on this site </TD></TR></TABLE>

explain why it wont work.. im listening.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:46 PM

Default Re: (mike93eh2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike93eh2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

explain why it wont work.. im listening.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, I wanna hear it too.
I wanna find out what makes about 80% of the forced induction forum population all a complete waste of life and you god
Old 07-03-2007, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tial 38mm wastegate installation question (eglslsd)

Yeah god please tell us.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

..and?
Old 07-04-2007, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: tial 38mm wastegate installation question (almostboostedgsr)

i think what he is trying to say is that wastegates dont work off of vacuum. they need to see boost to open. when we tee off brake boosters or whatever we generally call them vacuum lines but with the turbo setup anything hooked to the intake mani will see both vacuum and boost so the wastegate works.

so simply saying "route the side port to a vacuum source" can be misleading because you can feed all the VACUUM to the side port you want and the wastegate would never open.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:09 AM
BCICAN

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TiAL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it has nothing to do with performance, it has to do with internal parts
not that anyone actually listens on this site </TD></TR></TABLE>

So what you are implying is that if the wastegate is hooked to a vacuum source (manifold for instance), then that is going to damage the internal parts of the wastegate? Shouldn't there be a stern warning on the box or something so more people would know about this?
Old 07-04-2007, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i see what he is saying, but i dont see how vacuum can mess up the internals of the wastegate??
Old 07-04-2007, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dunc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dunc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Shouldn't there be a stern warning on the box or something so more people would know about this?</TD></TR></TABLE>
there is, right on the install instructions where it says use a source PRE throttle body
Old 07-04-2007, 11:29 AM

so why don't you give us an explanation for what your saying instead of just saying it and expecting everyone to take it for fact.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:44 AM

Default Re: (slowsol95)

okkk i didnt make this thread but i have some querstions about it as welll..... so i just put my car backtogether after it over boosted wen my vacumm line came off the wastegate and cracked a piston by that! so now i jus rebuilt the whole block and put the motor together. so on my 38mm wastegate there are 2 ports. 1 at the way top and one comin from the side. i 4forgot which one the vacumm line is supposed to connect too. i know one is left alone unless u have a boost controller and i dnt have that. so which one do i connect the hose too? and where does it connect to from the other end? i belive mines was from wastegate to the actual inlet on the turbo?
Old 07-04-2007, 11:55 AM
BCICAN

there is, right on the install instructions where it says use a source PRE throttle body </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm sure there is, but is there any reason behind this? We get the point that we are "supposed" to use pre-throttle body source....but that isn't the question. The question is what happens if you don't.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dunc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dunc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'm sure there is, but is there any reason behind this? We get the point that we are "supposed" to use pre-throttle body source....but that isn't the question. The question is what happens if you don't.</TD></TR></TABLE>

he pm'd me this..

(12:10 PM 7/4/2007) TiAL: the vacuum can 'suck' in the diapragm and put a round slit in it if the engine pulls a lot of vacuum

what is alot of vacuum? hondas are usually around 22psi at idle.

ive used a vacuum manifold forever with tials..
Old 07-04-2007, 12:12 PM
BCICAN

Default Re: (mike93eh2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike93eh2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">he pm'd me this..

(12:10 PM 7/4/2007) TiAL: the vacuum can 'suck' in the diapragm and put a round slit in it if the engine pulls a lot of vacuum

what is alot of vacuum? hondas are usually around 22psi at idle.

ive used a vacuum manifold forever with tials..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Now that I could see. Makes sense, case closed.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

quick question: i don't have a boost controler, i lost the top fitting and there is none presented at the time, nothing there to block it. is this okay or should i go buy a bolt and seal it up?
Old 07-04-2007, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (teddy_dc2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by teddy_dc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">quick question: i don't have a boost controler, i lost the top fitting and there is none presented at the time, nothing there to block it. is this okay or should i go buy a bolt and seal it up?</TD></TR></TABLE>.

no, if youre not using a boost controller or using a manual boost controller then leave the port open just like you have it.

the top port is basically just for electronic boost controller use.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The top threaded small opening, vents to atmosphere.

The side threaded small opening goes to your intake, before the TB.

Thats how it states on the instruction diagram.

The exhaust flow goes in the Bottom large opening and out the Side large opening, when then has the Dump Tube connected to it.

Quick Reply: tial 38mm wastegate installation question