Notices

Those with just rods/pistons: Are you running a blockguard?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Destroying turbo ITR motors in Minneapolis, MN, U.S.A.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Those with just rods/pistons: Are you running a blockguard?

Note: This thread has NOTHING to do with sleeving and whether you need it or not.

For those of you with "semi-built" motors, meaning just rods and pistons: are you running a blockguard or nothing else?

Also, what are the pros and cons of a blockguard?
Old 09-24-2004, 12:47 PM

Default Re: Those with just rods/pistons: Are you running a blockguard? (boostincoupe)

bump

i would like to know also
Old 09-24-2004, 01:21 PM

Default Re: Those with just rods/pistons: Are you running a blockguard? (boostincoupe)

Going GE blockgaurd with my setup. It has been recommended that you install the blockgaurd then take it to get honed. It turned out my cylinders were a little out of round so I went .20 over to correct the issue. I can't say whether this was caused by the blockgaurd or not. But I HIGHLY recommend you install the blockgaurd before ANY machine work is done to the block. Weird thing is when I put my blockgaurd in I filed it down and LIGHTLY taped it down. DO NOT FORCE it in. Sand down the blockgaurd so it fits snug.

Going CP pistons 75.5mm and Crower I Beams
GL
Old 09-24-2004, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not running a blockguard. I "posted" my setup with help from Larry @ Endyn. See my web site in my sig for details.

Sonny
Old 11-28-2004, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Sonny)

bump...

With all the recent high HP stock sleeve dyno threads coming up, I think this is a good topic to discuss (whether blockguards are needed with stock sleeves).

Do blockguards cause cooling issues?
Old 11-28-2004, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

81.50mm bore on stock sleeves with no block guard here. Not running yet but once Len gets my bearings to me next week it shouldnt be too long.
Old 11-28-2004, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am currently having my block built with just pistons and rods; bored .20 over. I am not going to use a blockguard. My goal is 400whp on stock sleeves.
Old 11-28-2004, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Those with just rods/pistons: Are you running a blockguard? (drvfast)

My last engine had stock sleeves, arias pistons, eagle rods. It made 505whp and I never had an issue. I am not a big fan of blockguards, the only thing they accomplish effectively is keeping coolant away from the hottest part of the sleeve.
Old 11-28-2004, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Those with just rods/pistons: Are you running a blockguard? (drvfast)

I don't plan on it, for every success post I read atleast 20 failure posts. Im not saying that it can't be done, but I can make the power I want without one, so why risk it? BTW- I want 350whp on stock D16 sleeves.
Old 11-28-2004, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Those with just rods/pistons: Are you running a blockguard? (tegunderpressure)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tegunderpressure &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't plan on it ... I want 350whp on stock D16 sleeves.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Should be easily obtainable... I'm doing a z6 build right now, and I'm not going to run one either.

Matt
Old 11-28-2004, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Those with just rods/pistons: Are you running a blockguard? (Jared)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jared &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My last engine had stock sleeves, arias pistons, eagle rods. It made 505whp and I never had an issue. I am not a big fan of blockguards, the only thing they accomplish effectively is keeping coolant away from the hottest part of the sleeve.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Stock bore or how much over was it? Nice numbers
Old 11-28-2004, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jared &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am not a big fan of blockguards, the only thing they accomplish effectively is keeping coolant away from the hottest part of the sleeve.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Isn't that important? I'm not asking to debate, I'm just trying to understand blockguards in general with respect to engine buildups.

Also, to hijack my own thread, where can I get some good info. on total costs and parts needed for a D16Y8 shortblock rebuild? Stock sleeves, bore, etc. CP, SRP or Arias pistons with Eagle rods. What seals, gaskets, bearings, etc. do I need, or where can I find a good thread that breaks it down for me?

Old 11-28-2004, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I got a killer deal on some Crower I Beams and SRP pistons, so I would just wait until you find some in the classifieds. You will want a new headgasket, new crank bearings, and rod bearings, everything else should be fine.
Old 11-28-2004, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Those with just rods/pistons: Are you running a blockguard? (tegunderpressure)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tegunderpressure &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I got a killer deal on some Crower I Beams and SRP pistons, so I would just wait until you find some in the classifieds. You will want a new headgasket, new crank bearings, and rod bearings, everything else should be fine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

My head is already freshly rebuilt/resurfaced with ARP heastuds, as well as a copper-sprayed OEM HG.

So all I'm focusing is on the block.
Old 11-28-2004, 04:27 PM

i would check ebay, every once and a while a company will have golden eagle rods and je pistons for 700 bucks, also cnc motorsports has golden eagle and scat rods for real cheap (thats where i got mine) i also have a fully built bottom end with a golden eagle blockguard holding up real good for the past 3 months, i also live in MN if you need a good engine builder i know one
Old 11-28-2004, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Those with just rods/pistons: Are you running a blockguard? (Btothe3rdDegree)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Btothe3rdDegree &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i also live in MN if you need a good engine builder i know one </TD></TR></TABLE>

Awesome, who?

I was thinking either Elite or OSOFAST racing.
Old 11-28-2004, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Those with just rods/pistons: Are you running a blockguard? (Btothe3rdDegree)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Btothe3rdDegree &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i would check ebay, every once and a while a company will have golden eagle rods and je pistons for 700 bucks, also cnc motorsports has golden eagle and scat rods for real cheap (thats where i got mine) i also have a fully built bottom end with a golden eagle blockguard holding up real good for the past 3 months, i also live in MN if you need a good engine builder i know one </TD></TR></TABLE>

When did Golden Eagle Mfg. start manufacturing connecting rods? You might be getting Golden Eagle Mfg. confused with Eagle.
Old 11-28-2004, 04:39 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Those with just rods/pistons: Are you running a blockguard? (0x64)

what whp would you guys say would be a safe daily affair for a stock bore ( iahve considered an overbore, how far would you go on stock sleeves?) wih pistons and rods on a b16?
Old 11-28-2004, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=tegunderpressure]I don't plan on it, for every success post I read atleast 20 failure posts. QUOTE]

Most failure posts are due to the fact that so many people on here will spend thousands of dollars on an engine build, then not buy a good engine management system to keep the engine healthy.
Old 11-28-2004, 04:41 PM

Default Re: Those with just rods/pistons: Are you running a blockguard? (0x64)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 0x64 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

When did Golden Eagle Mfg. start manufacturing connecting rods? You might be getting Golden Eagle Mfg. confused with Eagle.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks
i dont know how much they charge but the guy that built mine rebuilt the entire bottom end- taken apart, bolied, block guard installed, crank grinded, new bearings, pistons and rods installed, rods shaved to fit, everything installed, head boiled and rebuilt and assembled for around 600
Old 11-28-2004, 04:42 PM

Default Re: Those with just rods/pistons: Are you running a blockguard? (wantboost)

b16a2 stock bore 81mm JE pistons 8.8:1cr/Eagle rods no blockguard
Old 11-28-2004, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jared &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">[QUOTE=tegunderpressure]I don't plan on it, for every success post I read atleast 20 failure posts. QUOTE]

Most failure posts are due to the fact that so many people on here will spend thousands of dollars on an engine build, then not buy a good engine management system to keep the engine healthy.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I see that all the time, theres always a post about how someone popped their motor on the hack. But looking through all the block gaurd threads, for one reason or another, there are alot of people with engine failure.
Old 11-28-2004, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Those with just rods/pistons: Are you running a blockguard? (9psiTurboSI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 9psiTurboSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">b16a2 stock bore 81mm JE pistons 8.8:1cr/Eagle rods no blockguard </TD></TR></TABLE>

I still need a ride in that torque-less wonder of yours

How's it running?
Old 11-28-2004, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tegunderpressure &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I see that all the time, theres always a post about how someone popped their motor on the hack. But looking through all the block gaurd threads, for one reason or another, there are alot of people with engine failure.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I totally agree, I'm 100% opposed to blockguard usage on non sleeved blocks. See my post above.
Old 11-28-2004, 04:49 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

^^lol

Quick Reply: Those with just rods/pistons: Are you running a blockguard?