Notices

Those with Drag Manifolds, lets solve this problem! Check in here!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Those with Drag Manifolds, lets solve this problem! Check in here!

Alright....we cant just be screwed here can we?

I want to run a 3" exhaust from the turbo back. I also want to keep the Drag mani on there...there HAS to be a way we can figure this situation out short of completely relocating the wg position on the manifold.

A) Porting the wastegate flange - who has done this, and to what extent did you port it? What were your results?

B) Welding the WG flange, and rewelding a new flange on the downpipe flange. I stole this idea from this archived thread:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=126617

I am running a Tial already...who has solved their problem, and how did you do it? Who has failed at solving the problem and given up and gone Inline Pro or whatever? Lets hear some experiences!
Old 03-17-2004, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Those with Drag Manifolds, lets solve this problem! Check in here! (newgsrdriver)

I have a drag style mani running a 3" dp and I still have ac, and it's flanged for a 40mm wastegate. I'll try and get pics posted of how the dp looks off and on the car.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Those with Drag Manifolds, lets solve this problem! Check in here! (FOrSfEd)

I'd say option "B", it should work easily with those 5-bolt turbos with the existing internal wastgate hole. Just run a WG elbow from the drag mani and then another elbow/piping from the dp flange that meets up witht he other elbow. so the WG can vent from both places
Old 03-17-2004, 07:49 PM

Default Re: Those with Drag Manifolds, lets solve this problem! Check in here! (newgsrdriver)

i had a problem with my drag manifold spikin boost at high rpms, and here what i did, i ran a tial wastegate didnt do much, so i sent the manifold to the machine shop and asked them to port the runner where the wastegate is located, runner was ported from middle of the flange back toward the cylinder head. the flange it self was port matched to the wastegate.
now i have no problem what so ever with the manifold, paid $80 problem is fixed
Old 03-17-2004, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

mine used to spike realy bad in the high rpms still with the 2.5'' dp and 3'' dp back system. so i got a tial 38mm wastegate, but first i match the old deltagate gasket to the hoel in the manifold. you will be surprised with what you will see, its like a good 1/8'' -3/16'' smaller all the way around then the gasket. so i opened the hole up the same size and smothed out the runner in the manifold also. i run a greddy profec b befor i put the tial on and that didnt help at all. so you must port match it, works great rock steady at 11.5 psi all the way to 8500rpm.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Those with Drag Manifolds, lets solve this problem! Check in here! (FOrSfEd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FOrSfEd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a drag style mani running a 3" dp and I still have ac, and it's flanged for a 40mm wastegate. I'll try and get pics posted of how the dp looks off and on the car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

how did you do that. Someone told me 3" dp is impossible with ac. I want to see pics fast
Old 03-18-2004, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Those with Drag Manifolds, lets solve this problem! Check in here! (ek9turbo)

Forsfed - Definitely post some pictures.

EK9 - Thats exactly what we want to hear...I saw you mention this in the other thread as well. Do you have any pictures as to the extent of the porting?

-Nick, who is about to take his Tial off and measure the size of the hole.

Good info guys!
Old 03-18-2004, 07:09 AM

newgsrdriver: i didnt take any pics, but i can draw a pic of what was realy done to the runner if that will help
by the way im runnin open downpipe no problem
let me know and ill try to post it or fax it ............
rob
Old 03-18-2004, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Those with Drag Manifolds, lets solve this problem! Check in here! (ek9turbo)

Rob - definitely post up whatever you have! This would be very positive, as we know decent power can be made with the manifolds, and cracking has seemed to been fixed...so spiking really is the only problem.

I can imagine porting the WG hole, like someone mentioned above, if the hole is smaller than the wg opening, then something isnt right.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is the picture and description from Rob:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek9turbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i know its not great but it should help.

the yellow part is the part that was ported, i didnt pass the red line u see on the pic. Now the red part inside the flange itself was smoothed and shaped like curve flowin toward the wastegate. That part looks like a 90 degree angle if u look at ur manifold, and as i said nothin was done past the redline causei figured i want it to flow better to the waste gate not to the turbo.

How much metal u wanna take out its up to u just make sure u have a good thickness.

They took a lot of metal out as they got to to flange especialy that redpart.
Also they ported the opening on the flange to match the gasket
if u look at my manifold from the waste gate flange that redpart u see in the pic is a smooth curve , dont touch the otherpart of the flange</TD></TR></TABLE>

This definitely looks promising...its nice to hear from someone who has done it. I want to at least port my WG and yank the TP off and run open DP to see the results.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by newgsrdriver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I want to run a 3" exhaust from the turbo back. I also want to keep the Drag mani on there...there HAS to be a way we can figure this situation out short of completely relocating the wg position on the manifold.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I dont get what you're saying... Do you think the reason you cant run 3" downpipe on drag 3's is because of the wastegate location?

its because of the clearance w/ the ac compressor.

your best bet is to do a 2.5 to 3 inch flare if you want to keep that junk mani
Old 03-18-2004, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Those with Drag Manifolds, lets solve this problem! Check in here! (Mase)

i think he's worried about boost creep w/ the drag mani
Old 03-18-2004, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Those with Drag Manifolds, lets solve this problem! Check in here! (Tomakit)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tomakit &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i think he's worried about boost creep w/ the drag mani</TD></TR></TABLE>

You got it...I'd do the 2.5"-3" flare if I wanted to keep AC or just ditch it altogether if I decide to screw AC. Either way, as it stands now, I cant run anything bigger than what I have on, or it will creep.

-Nick, who is excited to port the **** out of that flange now.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if that's the case then i'd port the bitch. no sense in spending the $$ to get the wg port welded up and another welded on.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by newgsrdriver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You got it...I'd do the 2.5"-3" flare if I wanted to keep AC or just ditch it altogether if I decide to screw AC. Either way, as it stands now, I cant run anything bigger than what I have on, or it will creep.

-Nick, who is excited to port the **** out of that flange now.</TD></TR></TABLE>

how do you know it will for sure creep? ive tuned cars that run upwards of 20 psi on a drag 3 kit it didnt creep. naturally it still had a 2.5 inch exhaust, but i think if your on lower boost, i dont think you'll have too much of a problem w/ boost creep.

back in the day my first turbo kit, i had no boost creep on my drag3 kit w/ an open downpipe running 10-12 psi.

I would make sure its creeping before you take the time to open up the wg hole
Old 03-18-2004, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Those with Drag Manifolds, lets solve this problem! Check in here! (Mase)

I was running open DP w/ my 35mm Tial and was seeing 10-20+PSI creeps. Its definitely creeping.

After speaking to numerous people regarding this, it seems most Drag manifolds + ~3" exhaust = creep. I havent found anyone who has had the problem, and fixed the problem. Most do, very few dont. Its nice to hear from someone who actually has solved their problem.
Old 04-11-2004, 07:40 AM

anybody else ever try porting theirs like this?
Old 04-11-2004, 08:25 AM

Default Re: Those with Drag Manifolds, lets solve this problem! Check in here! (tthame1)

here is how my 3" is made and with my wastegate location I have not had any problem with boost creep. Sorry about the big pics

Old 04-11-2004, 08:31 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by newgsrdriver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was running open DP w/ my 35mm Tial and was seeing 10-20+PSI creeps. Its definitely creeping.</TD></TR></TABLE>

10-20 psi creeps...come on thats a little exadurated wouldnt you say???

Landon
Old 04-11-2004, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Those with Drag Manifolds, lets solve this problem! Check in here! (boosted_dc2)

No. Not exxagerated at all. I saw it with my own eyes, I was driving the car, I saw the guage just zip right to 20. No ****.

Forsfed - who made that setup? Looks good!

Old 04-11-2004, 10:11 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by newgsrdriver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No. Not exxagerated at all. I saw it with my own eyes, I was driving the car, I saw the guage just zip right to 20. No ****.

Forsfed - who made that setup? Looks good!

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Danny (turbotyper). He had this dp and the manifold I have now on his car before he made his new manifold.
Old 04-11-2004, 02:21 PM

20+ psi boost creeps is not the manifold, you have other problems with that kind of spike. if a boost controller is hooked up wrong then that can happen.

Landon
Old 04-11-2004, 03:57 PM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mase, everyone ive ever known w/ a Drag3 manifold who switched to a 3" downpipe has had boost creep problems. Even at low boost.
Old 04-11-2004, 04:14 PM

Default Re: Those with Drag Manifolds, lets solve this problem! Check in here! (DIRep972)

i'm running drag manifold + tial wg 38mm (.5bar) + 2.5 catback exhaust with stock cat. converter. I'm still boost creeping and it's driving me nuts! I'm real close of buying a new manifold!

I may be doing port and match the wg flange through out the runners.

If so, which runner should I be porting? There is 4. Should i be porting the one on the right (closest to the wg flange). Also, should I be shaving the right side of the flange itself?

I would just like somebody to confirm before I acutually have it done. Thanks
Old 04-11-2004, 04:49 PM

Forsfed, who made that Down pipe? and how much did it cost?

Quick Reply: Those with Drag Manifolds, lets solve this problem! Check in here!