Notices

Thinking of selling AEM and switching to Hondata?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2002, 05:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of selling AEM and switching to Hondata?

I was just on there site and also did a search, but could someone elaborate a bit on the new S200. How does the boost option work, as in what features does the boost option have? Am i going to have to keep burning chips, or will this have real time calibration capalbility? The reason I never purchased a Hondata is because many were saying it was limited to the things you could do, and I would have to by on obd1 ecu and harness adapter. Will the S200 be the same or will it be obd2 compatable? I am seriously considering the switch to either Hondata or Accell gen 7. AEM has become a headach and my last efforts with it will be next weekend, so a decisiom will be made!
Old 09-29-2002, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Thinking of selling AEM and switching to Hondata? (turbo Si)

What model...I'd love to take it off your hands....
Old 09-29-2002, 07:31 AM

Default Re: Thinking of selling AEM and switching to Hondata? (niedejb)

It's for a '99 Si.
Old 09-29-2002, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the honata is still the same as always! the s200 only has expanded fuel and ignition tables to 11 000 RPM......
thats basicallly it..... If I were I would stick with the AEM..its NOT that hard to get it tuned decently yourself!
Old 09-29-2002, 08:26 AM

Default Re: Thinking of selling AEM and switching to Hondata? (SiRkid)

shhhiiiiitttt! Have you tried?
Old 09-29-2002, 08:49 AM

I have a hondata 2b for sale. $400 shipped. IM me if interested.
Old 09-29-2002, 08:51 AM

Sir kid has the system i believe as well as sircanuck?, both an aem forum and seem to have everything running good. New release will be here in a few days, i'd stick around till then, it's suppose to be alot more user friendly... ie simplified menus so it's easier to find things... have you tried some of the other SI maps, and i know of one user having problems but becuase of msd ignition...
Old 09-29-2002, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

to tune ?? yes i have!
Im not running turbo yet but i and Canuk_SiR worked on the base map.
runs like stock with the exception of some roughness when you let off the gas(but we havent touched our aems in over 2 weeks.)

[Modified by SiRkid, 5:53 PM 9/29/2002]
Old 09-29-2002, 09:06 AM

Default Re: Thinking of selling AEM and switching to Hondata? (SiRkid)

runs like stock with the exception of some roughness when you let off the gas(but we havent touched our aems in over 2 weeks.)

[Modified by SiRkid, 5:53 PM 9/29/2002]
same here, nothing needed to be fixed, running good, though with cold weather i will have to readjust the stupid AIT table...

as for the stumble, adjust your "throttle mod" for a little more gas at say 6%, if this is at speed, and if idle, then the "idle set TP table" a little gas at say 3% gas at 5% throttle or more as needed.
Old 09-29-2002, 09:42 AM

Default Re: Thinking of selling AEM and switching to Hondata? (bmm89)

We'll see. My tuner wants me to stick with it although i need my car, and i hear alot of people running hondata although Accell is probably what my tuner wants me to go with if I decide to ditch the AEM.
Old 09-29-2002, 09:55 AM
Better than steak

Keep the AEM!
Old 09-29-2002, 11:07 AM

Default Re: Thinking of selling AEM and switching to Hondata? (Arturbo)

SPEEDPRO!!!! Are you really serious of going HONDATA instead of AEM???? Are you nutz!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-29-2002, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Thinking of selling AEM and switching to Hondata? (JiSATSU RaceR)

stick with the AEM or go Power FC
Old 09-29-2002, 01:03 PM
Better than steak

Default Re: Thinking of selling AEM and switching to Hondata? (BoostinDC2)

I have someone to help you tune your AEM if you need to come to dallas.
Old 09-29-2002, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Thinking of selling AEM and switching to Hondata? (Arturbo)

Hondata
Old 09-29-2002, 01:25 PM
ImportReview

Default Re: Thinking of selling AEM and switching to Hondata?

The Honda S200 has some SIGNIFICANT improvements made to it that I like very much.

The old Hondata unit is superior to most every other aftermarket management unit already, for many reasons...Some people think its debatable....

And from thousands of hours of experience, the MAIN reason the Hondata is superior is this:

"you can diagnose and fix problems exponentially easier because your based off the STOCK ECU"

This might not mean alot to some people who don't have that much experience in tuning cars, but believe me....

Simplicity is key.

On the to S200.

They incorporated many features that I wanted to go into it that make it more funcional.

Now, the Hondalogger can change your:

shift light
Full throttle revs
VTEC point
Rev limiter
Launch Control

In literally 1 second.... its the easiest control of these 5 elements that is possible, without of course, doing it sci-fi like through telepethy. lol.

Rom Editor has been expanded and the idle control has been beefed up to work way better.

Do other aftermarket systems have stock Honda ECU idle control features? The S200 is an excellent choice for running larger lobed cams...and huge TB's.

ROm editor also has a few other nice features...

Eliminate Knock sensor
Eliminate ELD
Eliminate VTEC Spool
Eliminate VTEC pressure
Expanded RPM to 11,000
O2 Heater Eliminated!! This was my favorite addition. You now don't even need an 02 sensor plugged into your car to run like you did....That is SO great.

The datalogging module lets you have like 5 windows open at once, to see a bigger picture of everything you want to see.

Hondata is bar none, the most superior tuning device for your car on the market. Hands down.

1)Simplicity is there. It takes very little time to learn it...it takes 2 minutes to set up...
2)Price is there. Its inexpensive...
3)Tuning is on par with DFI, MOTEC, AEM, anything.... You can tune the car as good as Honda from the factory.
4)There is NO wiring required or the harness. You don't have to rip apart your harness and do a bunch of crap like DFI and others to make it work...
5)you have a problem, you get an error code, you can fix it just like the car is stock. Do all the others have this feature? NO. You have a problem, you have no idea what the hell could be wrong....

There are a few misconceptions about Hondata and I think the biggest one is that you can't upload changes to the ROM while your driving.

People, this is complete nonsense. YOU CAN. And if you still don't think you can't after I tell you, YOU CAN. Bring your money down here, so I can take it.

You just have to know what your doing, and the limitations of the unit.
THis is kind of a moot point....WHO NEEDS TO UPLOAD DATA WHILE DRIVING?

You don't go to a race and at the 1/8 mile...go "look my A/F is off .1, let me change it".

I think when people say they like to upload on the fly, its a justification for why they didn't buy the Hondata and spent more time and money on another unit.

To all people considering a Hondata but are unsure about it, I encourage you to come to me to install and tune it for you. I give most people on here a discount for trying it.

Also, I had 1 customer go to smog a car....with the Hondata...and they checked what ECU he had in the car...and he had a Honda Civic 1994. He had a P28, a Honda Civic ECU. The customer said they looked at the ECU, recognized it was a stock one, and let the inspection continue....

And he passed.

However....if they would have looked at the ECU and seen that it was an AEM or DFI or whatever?

Bye bye birdie. FAIL.

I could write a book on the wonderful reasons Hondata has no competition. Well, no real competition anyway, but I don't work there so I just help educate people on its qualities.

If I offended anyone that has another unit, sorry, its not a punch at you, its just helpful advice to people deciding.

Thanks.

Jeff

[Modified
Old 09-29-2002, 01:35 PM
Better than steak

Default Re: Thinking of selling AEM and switching to Hondata? (ImportReview)

To all people considering a Hondata but are unsure about it, I encourage you to come to me to install and tune it for you.
This is the best feature.
Old 09-29-2002, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its NO question that hondata is a GREAT system.but if he already has AEM.then he might aswell stick with it....*note on the inspection part* if it really is a concern you can easily rig something up with a stock ecu to fool them(if your using other systems)
Old 09-29-2002, 03:15 PM

Default Re: Thinking of selling AEM and switching to Hondata? (JiSATSU RaceR)

SPEEDPRO!!!! Are you really serious of going HONDATA instead of AEM???? Are you nutz!!!!!!!!!
_______

http://www.jisatsuracing.com

I don't know Dandee.........it's been giving me alot of problems. I just wanna drive my car and i'm looking at my options. I really don't need to switch tuners, Lawrence knows what he is doing and the crew at AEM have a hugh amount of respect for him. Jeff (ImportReview) answered some questions for me though, although I wish I could make changes to the unit and the car automatically respond to it rather than burning chips! Never the less a Lawrence is at a race in Ohio now and he say's he think's he knows what the problem is so we well see this coming weekend! A decision will be made though! I want to drive the damn car!
Old 09-29-2002, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I could write a book on the wonderful reasons Hondata has no competition. Well, no real competition anyway, but I don't work there so I just help educate people on its qualities.

Thanks.

Jeff

[Modified by ImportReview, 2:29 PM 9/29/2002]
It seems maybe you should be an author as this as the second book I have heard you COULD write...

Seriously, stick with the aem. I have a tuned a bunch of them with no problems whatsoever. There are parameters that can be set for almost everything and you can have them trigger your check engine light when something goes out of spec. If your worried about diagnosis. What kind of problems are you having anyway?
Old 09-29-2002, 09:46 PM

Default Re: Thinking of selling AEM and switching to Hondata? (tony1)

We'll about 2 months ago the laptop could'nt connect tp the AEM. It would always say "querying ecu". So Jp asked me to send it back and they flashed my prom. So things are going good and I find out I need to scale my o2 sensor, since Lawrence was wondering why the o2 sensor was reading good and the spark plugs kept fouling out. I was like wtf? You spend $600.00 on the damn thing and they just tell you how to wire it in. Knowbody ever said anything about scaling it! So Jp tells me what to do, and after I enter in the correct scaling numbers I begin to have all these error codes pop up like "e comm libary failure" and others I can't remember. So since Lawrence was going out of town I sent the ecu back, and Jp checked and corrected whatever happened. So things are going good again. Lawrence got to car to idle and rev properly. Since the battery in my laptop doesn't work we use an extension from a wall socket for power, so I can't take my laptop while I drive. As soon as we shut down the laptop and try to drive the car, it begins to detonate and misfire and stall. And yes we uploaded the program to the ecu before shutting down my laptop. We did that twice. Again I was like wtf? Months ago Lawrence told me I should have gone with Speed Pro. he could have had it running and everything working like stock. When I recently asked him to switch me to Speed Pro he said I should stick with the AEM because it does everything Speed Pro does and more and he feel's it's going to be the next big thing. But by this weekend I plan on making a switch. Don't get me wrong anyone I am not trying to talk trash about the AEM. I actually wish the damn thing would work. I would like to use the boost actuator that I still have sitting in the back seat. But for me enough is enough and I guess AEM was not meant for me.

[Modified by turbo Si, 2:46 AM 9/30/2002]
Old 09-29-2002, 10:00 PM
ImportReview

This is a problem the AEM has. HUGE learning curve.

BUT, if the learning curve is met by the tuner, it works well.

In my opinion, the AEM was not designed for a Honda, its like generic software for any car it looks like. There is way too much information presented to mess with.

Too much information kills it for a normal joe out there.

Thats my opinion.

With Hondata, you would be up and running based off stock honda maps in just 1-3 hours, with full problem solving check engine light abilities.

Problem is...Hondata has been around a long time. AEM is new.

If you watch the state of the industry, whenever something 'NEW" comes out, "some" people out there will claim it is better than the stuff currently on the market "Hondata". And alot of people will buy in to the HYPE that its better.

Then when they leap into it, they find out its not what they expected.

Try to call AEM for help. In my opinion, AEM is so sick and tired of the EMS they don't even want to deal with you. AND, AEM has a lame policy of 0 returns on the EMS for pretty much any reason. So you buy it, your stuck with it. They don't back their product at all. 0% in my opinion.

VS Hondata who backs it 100%.

And with me, if a customer is totally not satisfied with what the Hondata does, I will not ask them to pay for it and take it off.

Customer satisfaction is important, and in my opinion AEM has NO appreciation for their EMS customers.

Jeff

Old 09-29-2002, 10:12 PM

WOAH? I feel as though JP and everyone over there have been pretty helpful. Like I said i'm having bad luck with this thing I guess!
Old 09-30-2002, 03:20 PM

Jeff,

Why so much hatred towards the AEM EMS unit. Hondata has about 2 years on AEM's EMS and with over 1k EMS units sold I think says it all. Everyone wants to be #1.
Old 09-30-2002, 03:23 PM

I was just on there site and also did a search, but could someone elaborate a bit on the new S200. How does the boost option work, as in what features does the boost option have? Am i going to have to keep burning chips, or will this have real time calibration capalbility? The reason I never purchased a Hondata is because many were saying it was limited to the things you could do, and I would have to by on obd1 ecu and harness adapter. Will the S200 be the same or will it be obd2 compatable? I am seriously considering the switch to either Hondata or Accell gen 7. AEM has become a headach and my last efforts with it will be next weekend, so a decisiom will be made!
You should be on 3.15 and 89's release is soon. Have patience. If a supra can make 1k hp auto I'm sure you can squeeze a few hundred from the unit as well.

Quick Reply: Thinking of selling AEM and switching to Hondata?