Notices

Thinking of leaving the darkside..

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2003, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thinking of leaving the darkside..

Couple nights ago, I was on my way home and I bumped into a Supra TT.. so I raced with him since he really wanted to play, and even though I beat him, I ended up melting 2 pistons. I'm sick of the problems i'm having with my car. I feel that i've come to the crossroads..

my dad has told me to either go NA with the integra, or sell the teg and civic, and buy another car (possibly euro).

my tuner was talking to my dad about what car he would recommend me use, and he happened to recommend my dad to get me an evo. Strong factory-turbocharged engine, easy to drive, 4WD, etc...

my dad seemed okay with the idea (to my suprise) and so I went "window shopping" with my friend at the second-hand car lots, and stumbled across this beauty..

Its an Evo6. A fake one, that is. It was originally an Evo4, and the owner bought a crashed-up evo6 from japan and swapped every single bodypart (including interior) into his evo4 to make it look like an evo6. Engine is still an evo4.

I had a test drive today, and it felt.. okay. It pulled hard, but it was no where near as powerful as my integra, but i'm sure it would be a million times more reliable than my teg.

what to do? i love my teg to death, but can i make the move? If its not this, then it'll probably be an BMW E36 3-series coupe with M3 engine (5-speed).

what i'm thinking of doing right now is buying some 84mm JE pistons, and installing my existing B18C crankshaft & forged rods into my B20B. Though I don't know how long my B20B with last for with stock sleeves + blockguard at 1 bar everyday (i kick down WOT everyday, atleast 10-15 times).

what do u guys think i should do?
Old 02-06-2003, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Thinking of leaving the darkside.. (turbopanda)

buy a hyundai

what do you think is gonna happen when you buy that car/ ? im pretty sure your going to get into the same sort of problems or maybe a different realm...labor on a tranny repair is expensive.

or wait a couple years when ya mature a little more (not a derogatory comment) to the point that your not racing everything in town...when you play w/ your own money, racing and beating up your car seems like less of a priority.
Old 02-06-2003, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Thinking of leaving the darkside.. (rOby)

damnit you people **** me off , you get all the hot toys.
i like it . , but yea, your car didnt break for no reason man .
Honda-Tech Member

Hmmm, tough one. An EVO will totally rock! (And those seats are to kill for!)

But here's some food for thought. Why not build up the B18c1 up fully? I'm talking sleeves, pistons/rods, etc. (I'm assuming you're still on stock sleeves and stock internals?) How much boost are you running to melt those pistons?

Tough one. AWD+turbo+stock reliability or Turbo+FWD+NO reliability? hehe For me, it would be an easy one!

Sorry about your misfortune. Seems with your luck...the switch is unavoidable. Just remember, if its not the integra giving you problems....its an evo.
The nature of cars
Old 02-06-2003, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Thinking of leaving the darkside.. (98CTRCoupe)

Hmmm, tough one. An EVO will totally rock! (And those seats are to kill for!)

But here's some food for thought. Why not build up the B18c1 up fully? I'm talking sleeves, pistons/rods, etc. (I'm assuming you're still on stock sleeves and stock internals?) How much boost are you running to melt those pistons?

Tough one. AWD+turbo+stock reliability or Turbo+FWD+NO reliability? hehe For me, it would be an easy one!
i can do everything to my B20B except sleeves, since no one in thailand has the machinery to do it, and it would cost me a LOT of money to have my block sent over to the states to have sleeving done, which is why i'm using a blockguard and trying to keep the boost down low..

Another thought was to get a JDM WRX.. but i know that Subaru gearboxes are really **** and break down easy. The evo is just more stronger and powerful than an impreza. I'm in so much confusion right now
Old 02-06-2003, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Thinking of leaving the darkside.. (rondigs)

Well i can say i know what you mean about being at a cross roads. I was contemplating going N/A a little bit ago from all the problems that i have been having. I stayed N/A and backed my HP goals down to realistic levels that can be used on the streets, since that is where i do 90% of my driving. Go N/A if you want to have a nice, quick car everyday but dont expect that it wont give you any problems. N/A has its share of problems just like FI, but it depends on how crazy you take N/A and what components you use to build it up. You can still run solid 12's N/A and have alot more reliable car. Since you are used to the pull of the turbo its not going to "feel" as fast, and you arent going to be able to get that highend kick.

If i were living in another country that has some of the nicest turbo cars available i would be driving something awd+turbo. The evo is a really nice car, handling is off the wall and they are upgradable just like anyother car. Upgrade the turbo, and do other things to get you some more power till you are happy with the car. Factory boost is so much more reliable than boosting non-factory boosted cars. If you do a honda turbo right then you can make it last, but its always cheap, fast, reliable pick two. I can tell you that my goal of 350whp pump gas, and 450whp race gas with reliablility hasnt come cheap with my newest build up. I can pretty much guarentee that it will last.
Old 02-06-2003, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Thinking of leaving the darkside.. (rOby)

what do you think is gonna happen when you buy that car/ ? im pretty sure your going to get into the same sort of problems or maybe a different realm...labor on a tranny repair is expensive.
There is a huge evo community in thAiland - spare parts/labor is cheap, not worried about that at all..

or wait a couple years when ya mature a little more (not a derogatory comment) to the point that your not racing everything in town...when you play w/ your own money, racing and beating up your car seems like less of a priority.
You know, i'd have to tell you that atleast 70% of my integra came from my pocket. I hadn't kicked down for many days now, and felt like having one of those adrenaline rushes.. if only I didn't floor it at 0.9 bar in 5th gear... it was my own fault..
Old 02-06-2003, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Man....that's not really much of an option is it? If you have the money to buy the car, it's obvious that a factory turbocharged vehicle has a lot more potential and reliability that one that came NA. It's going to be hard (ie. lots of MONEY) to make a NA Integra go fast while retaining all the creature comforts. That B20 block will not be able to handle all the abuse you put it through.

The question is not the performance, but styling and the amenities. What do you want? I don't think it's too hard to fall out of love with the Integra when you have AWD rather than FWD. Wish I could have those choices....and money to make those decisions. Good luck.
Old 02-06-2003, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Thinking of leaving the darkside.. (specie)

i dont think his problem would lay in fully building it ...seeing as how he hasnt cracked these sleeves..just meltin some pistons.

the reason i say to just get somethin stock and not somethin performance minded is because it seems like your dad has a problem w/ your car being down for periods of time...if you get a 4g63 or whatever the heck it is, you may have access to spare and cheap labor but that still doesnt mean that you wont have less downtime. those trannies suck ***, my friend broke 3 of them w/ in a months time and it was from simple driving.
my dad gets mad when my cars down too, but i just dont listen...i guess seeing the car in the garage is good enuff. get a garage , some tools, lotta friends ...maybe this will allow you to keep your teg and quelm your dad down.?
Old 02-06-2003, 08:22 AM

Default Re: Thinking of leaving the darkside.. (specie)

It pulled hard, but it was no where near as powerful as my integra
Keep it.......you'll regret it. What fuel management are you using?
Old 02-06-2003, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Why did your pistons melt in the 1st place? Maybe you should get a different TUNER rather than a different CAR...
Old 02-06-2003, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Thinking of leaving the darkside.. (RAWB)

Why did your pistons melt in the 1st place? Maybe you should get a different TUNER rather than a different CAR...
they melted from ignorance. the car hadn't been tuned yet and i was specifically told not to push it hard. sometimes your right foot just has a mind of its own
Old 02-06-2003, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Thinking of leaving the darkside.. (Farnsrocket)

[QUOTE]Keep it.......you'll regret it. What fuel management are you using?/QUOTE]

look at my signature closely, and you might just find out..
Old 02-06-2003, 08:46 AM

the car hadn't been tuned yet and i was specifically told not to push it hard
And now you are sick of the problems? LOL! What did you expect? Come on man, you blew up your car and now you are pissed. Get it tuned right and follow your tuners directions.
Old 02-06-2003, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just put your car back to stock and sell your turbokit and fix your motor. Your problem is your right foot and obviously your tuning. It takes about 1200 to 2000d to melt forged pistons(if thats what you have) which tells me your running mighty lean. Your Dad is right. Speaking from a Fathers prespective, it would **** me off too to see my loved one wasting all this money in something where there is no return. You been down this road quite a few times now in the last 2 years, probably enough to buy another teg. Thats what your Fathers beef is, and you really can't blame him. If you can't control your erge to give it, get rid of the problem thats costing you all this lute (your turbokit). No offense bro but you gotta learn. Good luck
Old 02-06-2003, 09:20 AM

Dood everyone one i know that has a mitsubishi has a honda to back it up cause mitsubishi's are sooooooo reliable
Old 02-06-2003, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Thinking of leaving the darkside.. (Farnsrocket)

And now you are sick of the problems? LOL! What did you expect? Come on man, you blew up your car and now you are pissed. Get it tuned right and follow your tuners directions.
its not just this, its every other thing that's happened.. and this incident kinda made me explode. other problems include leaky RC fuel injectors, white smoke from the turbo, strong fuel smell inside the car, broken sensor that lifts up my idle when i turn on the air conditioning, and a whole bunch of other little things that add up to major frustration. how many people do you know have to continually push the A/C button on and off when bringing a car to a stop?
Old 02-06-2003, 09:47 AM
BMW Güdentyte

Evo Lover here and would put that Evo to use, asap!
Old 02-06-2003, 10:00 AM

Default Re: Thinking of leaving the darkside.. (DB8GSR)

Keep you Integra or leave honda-tech for good.. I don't see no point in getting any other car.. lol, then you'd have to find a new forum to post in.. keep the integra cuz they own you!

Old 02-06-2003, 11:33 AM

You should keep it as its not v.common and u have a unique machine that nobody has. The Evos are plenty and too common. Although I love the power and handling of the Evo but everyone seems to have one as they're so cheap in the UK, I'd rather stick to a rarity and build on the power... Its more fun and more people will appreciate it when they see it.
Old 02-06-2003, 11:54 AM

you make me sick
Old 02-06-2003, 12:39 PM

Default Re: Thinking of leaving the darkside.. (DIY_Racing)

since i only saw one other person say it i figure i should bring something to your attention:

DSM'S ARE ONE OF THE MOST UNRELIABLE CAR'S EVER!!!

so dont do it, unless you're buying a brand new evo just keep what you got. like my boss told me once, when you buy used you buy someone elses problems. I think you should sleeve the motor with forged pistons. just my $.02
Old 02-06-2003, 12:44 PM
New User

i see where youre comin from, man... after all, it seems like a neverending money pit.

if youre gonna get something bigger and better... go for it. less drama and more reliability.
Old 02-06-2003, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Thinking of leaving the darkside.. (extrmeboost)

they arent that bad.

Quick Reply: Thinking of leaving the darkside..