Notices

...Thinking about selling my motor/turbo setup...Need some insight...

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ...Thinking about selling my motor/turbo setup...Need some insight...

Because of my recent failure to pass emissions, and being extreemly frustrated that I've spent almost $8,000 in the past 2 years to only drive my car a total of 1200 miles...I'm thinking about selling my built GSR motor, and PT61 turbo setup. I would go back to my roots with a turbo D series, with just a small T3ish size turbo. I'm realizing that building a SPFWD car is just pointless considering that I work full time, am a full time student, and NHRA only comes to bandimere once a year.

The high HP street car sounds fun, but for me it's just been hassle, after hassle. I havn't had nearly as much fun building this motor/turbo setup as I have had in the past with my ZC and junkyard turbo setup. I built the whole turbo setup in high school with less than 800 bucks to spare, and I managed 20,000 miles out of that setup.

I just want to have fun driving my car again, and have a nice respectable power band that doesn't break parts.

No matter what I choose to do, one thing is set in stone. The motor must come out of the car. A recent compression test showed 120, 120, 120, 90...so the motor will obviously need to be rebuilt. I can either, rebuild the block, sell the block and buy a stock GSR short block, or part the whole motor setup and most of the turbo setup to buy a D series motor.

I did some quick excel spread sheet work, and figured I could get at least $6000 from selling most of the B series setup. I could easily use only half of that $ to buy a D series setup.

The more and more, I just look into the future with this B series motor and turbo setup, is that it's just far too expensive for me to be getting into. What If I blow the motor my first pass down the track? I would be out $2000, just like that.

So, What do you think? Obviously no one will be able to choose the right path for me, but I'm interested in what some of you think.

Old 07-01-2005, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: ...Thinking about selling my motor/turbo setup...Need some insight... (Bryson)

I understand how you feel (except for the emissions part because I've got a guy to take of that).

All the maintenance, all the headaches involved with building a fast car just don't seem to be worth it anymore. Here I am about to drop another $2,500 just for something else to go wrong in a few months. After this, I'll have a grand total of $10,500 in my engine alone. I've gone too far to turn back, and still so far from being "done."

If I had the opportunity to sell my car, and only make $3,000 back, I would do it in a heartbeat. I'd like to start my car in the morning worry-free. I'd like to not fill up my tank every 2-3 days. I'd like to not have to keep up with the demanding maintenance turbo cars require. I'd like to not have to pay someone $100 to pass me for smog. I'd like to not have to worry about my car getting stolen when I go out.

Sorry for the long, long rant.

My vote: sell it.

Old 07-01-2005, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ...Thinking about selling my motor/turbo setup...Need some insight... (19sec beast)

I say do it... but I am biased towards turbo d-series engines.

You could build a 300hp d16 turbo for less than half of what you say you can get out of your current setup.

Plus, if you blow your d16 on the track you can just pick up another short block for $50-100 LoL...

d16 parts are also super easy to find and cheap as hell.

Old 07-01-2005, 12:38 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: ...Thinking about selling my motor/turbo setup...Need some insight... (EJ1 wilcox)

i'll buy the turbo, mani and wg most likely
Old 07-01-2005, 12:41 PM

Default Re: ...Thinking about selling my motor/turbo setup...Need some insight... (19sec beast)

Re-ring it and put it back in the car. You have a working turbo setup sitting there that's bulletproof, why get away from a good thing? Stick with it and troubleshoot. There's clearly some kinks left to work out (low compression and not passing emissions, but those are pretty low on some scales) but why give up now? This would be like a marathon runner deciding at 25.9 miles that this whole long distance **** isn't for him, then deciding to be a shot putter.

I was going through the same **** you were a little while ago. I had an 84mm GSR in my EK with a full-race mani, SC61, VictorX IM, AEM EMS, etc. The motor sputter and stalled, the lights didn't work, the frame turned out to be not straight, the clutch slipped, it used oil, and the wastegate didn't work. 3 months later I got all my problems resolved, and even ended up tearing the motor down and rebuilding it to replace the 10.5:1 Wiseco's with 9.2:1 Arias pistons. I rewired the car and fixed all my light issues, got the body straightened and repainted, got a new clutch, fixed my oil dran, and got a new tial gate. At this point I can't tell you have glad I am to have stuck with my motor rather than a turbo D, which I was planning to do too. I have a friend running a built D16Y8 with a 50-trim making a bit over 300 WHP, and it was temping to do a 225-ish WHP stock Y8 build. Now with my SC61 at 17 psi I put train lengths on him, and absolutely love my car. I've had it running for about a week and already put over a thousand miles on it because I can't stop driving it. Stick with your B man, you already have a built motor, get out there and enjoy it. Even if you swap out the PT61 for like a T3/TO4E 50-trim (you're on a lovefab minime so you have both flanges, IIRC) and run 12 psi for a stone cold reliable car its going to be faster and more fun than the D any day.

I dunno, I'm kinda ranting here
Old 07-01-2005, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ...Thinking about selling my motor/turbo setup...Need some insight... (wantboost)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 19sec beast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I understand how you feel (except for the emissions part because I've got a guy to take of that).

All the maintenance, all the headaches involved with building a fast car just don't seem to be worth it anymore. Here I am about to drop another $2,500 just for something else to go wrong in a few months. After this, I'll have a grand total of $10,500 in my engine alone. I've gone too far to turn back, and still so far from being "done."

If I had the opportunity to sell my car, and only make $3,000 back, I would do it in a heartbeat. I'd like to start my car in the morning worry-free. I'd like to not fill up my tank every 2-3 days. I'd like to not have to keep up with the demanding maintenance turbo cars require. I'd like to not have to pay someone $100 to pass me for smog. I'd like to not have to worry about my car getting stolen when I go out.

Sorry for the long, long rant.

My vote: sell it.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats exactly how I feel. Everytime I start up this motor, I'm just worried something is going to happen to it. After all, I just spent 1000 bucks rebuilding my head because the valve train floated when I spun the tires. It just takes a fraction of a second and then I'm in the hole. Not the greatest thing for a college student...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1 wilcox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I say do it... but I am biased towards turbo d-series engines.

You could build a 300hp d16 turbo for less than half of what you say you can get out of your current setup.

Plus, if you blow your d16 on the track you can just pick up another short block for $50-100 LoL...

d16 parts are also super easy to find and cheap as hell.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Damn straight...and I loved my ZC. SO easy to work on, build, and it always drove great.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wantboost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'll buy the turbo, mani and wg most likely</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you serious? If so, Give me a PM!
Old 07-01-2005, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why not just build a decent B-series all-motor setup? That's what I'm doing now that I've gotten tired of blowing up turbo motors. Something with a big crank and a good flowing head that can make 200+WHP and be daily driver reliable.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ...Thinking about selling my motor/turbo setup...Need some insight... (Chip)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chip &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I dunno, I'm kinda ranting here </TD></TR></TABLE>

I see what your saying, but I just have a completely different point of view. The money part is whats really getting to me. The fact of just having a $12,000 motor/turbo setup sitting in front of me makes me worried everytime I drive it. It's such a large investment that I don't want to loose it by having something break.

I had so much fun driving around with my ZC motor/tiny T-25, and I just miss that.

I would really love not worrying about driving around town, or going up into the mountains with my boosted stock D series.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rmcdaniels)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rmcdaniels &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why not just build a decent B-series all-motor setup? That's what I'm doing now that I've gotten tired of blowing up turbo motors. Something with a big crank and a good flowing head that can make 200+WHP and be daily driver reliable. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I've thought about that as well, but the noise kinda gets to me. Most all motor cars that I've seen make over 200whp, are just annoyingly loud.

Old 07-01-2005, 12:55 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: ...Thinking about selling my motor/turbo setup...Need some insight... (Bryson)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bryson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are you serious? If so, Give me a PM! </TD></TR></TABLE>

pm'd
Old 07-01-2005, 01:04 PM

Default Re: (Bryson)

And everytime I think about parting it out, I start thinking like Chip posted above.

I've got a great platform. Most of the speedbumps are behind me, and I keep telling myself "I just need to fix/replace/upgrade this and I'll be ok!"

Boost = headaches. But when everything's running right, and you're beating other cars left and right, it's the greatest feeling in the world.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (19sec beast)

You have to remember, just like they taught you in economics 101.

Do not base future decisions on sunk costs. Sunk costs do not matter, all that matters is the marginal costs and marginal benefits!

Forget about the money you have already dumped into the car. Think about the future of the car and your life ONLY.

Think about FUTURE expense and the FUTURE benefit of each setup... then you will be able to make a smart decision that you will feel comfortable with in the future.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:18 PM

Default Re: (EJ1 wilcox)

stick with it man, find some local to hook u up with smog, im sure u have friends who don't smog and see what they are doing.

check out some local car clubs, get cool with the guys and find smog hook it isn't that hard to find.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Quad-Damage)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Quad-Damage &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">stick with it man, find some local to hook u up with smog, im sure u have friends who don't smog and see what they are doing.

check out some local car clubs, get cool with the guys and find smog hook it isn't that hard to find.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The only people that I know of that don't have to pass, are those living outside of the denver metro area. I don't think there is a way to get a "hook up"
Old 07-01-2005, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

don't do it man... but if you do... sell me some stuff. i need a built head
Old 07-01-2005, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bryson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I've thought about that as well, but the noise kinda gets to me. Most all motor cars that I've seen make over 200whp, are just annoyingly loud.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's just because people run wide open exhausts on them. If you run a cat and a good quiet TR exhaust on it (not the wide open 3" turbo exhaust), then it should sound fine. My 400+WHP turbo setup was not very loud at all, and it was very quiet if I put the silencer cone in my TR exhaust. My JRSC setup was also relatively quiet with a cat and a good quality exhaust on it.

Are you near Denver? There's a guy up there building my new N/A motor and it should be ready in a few weeks. I'll make a recording of it after I get it in the car.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:54 PM

WEll good luck with whatever you decide to do...but I would consider getting a smog hookup. In Maryland we have it pretty cool, most of the time at smog the kids doing the inspection are so worried about who is going to pull in my ride they just tell me " nice car" and I ahve passed so it's cool. Good Luck.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (M.A.R.C.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by M.A.R.C. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">don't do it man... but if you do... sell me some stuff. i need a built head </TD></TR></TABLE>

Haha. 1500 bucks, and it's yours...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rmcdaniels &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That's just because people run wide open exhausts on them. If you run a cat and a good quiet TR exhaust on it (not the wide open 3" turbo exhaust), then it should sound fine. My 400+WHP turbo setup was not very loud at all, and it was very quiet if I put the silencer cone in my TR exhaust. My JRSC setup was also relatively quiet with a cat and a good quality exhaust on it.

Are you near Denver? There's a guy up there building my new N/A motor and it should be ready in a few weeks. I'll make a recording of it after I get it in the car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yup, I'm pretty much in Denver. Who's building your motor? I also havn't ruled out the possibility of an N/A setup either.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hrmmm....

I might rebuild the block with 84.5mm 10:1 Weiscos, sell the turbo and get a GT28R.

Hrmm.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:11 PM

damn, I guess we all go through the same ****... I think the same exact things. hell I even just got a new daily driver and its such a relief to get in a car and just go, no worries...

I say fold, if your hearts not in it theres no point. do something else and maybe get back into it later...

as for me, I put 1200 miles on my car in one week, I have over 6k miles on the built motor already and only had it on the road for about 1 1/2 months...
it has a mild tune and has minor issues poping up every week, but I fix and continue because there's no better feeling then when it's running great! I feel that eventually I can have a solid car without any bugs someday... so thats my goal.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:18 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bryson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hrmmm....

I might rebuild the block with 84.5mm 10:1 Weiscos, sell the turbo and get a GT28R.

Hrmm. </TD></TR></TABLE>

'Course, you could just leave it wherever it is in terms of compression, re-ring it, and go. I just went from a 10.5:1 compression setup to roughly a 9:1 setup because it just wasn't all I thought it was going to be. Or you could do what I was suggesting, instead of spending all that money on a GT28RS or new pistons, you can just get a cheap drag turbo or some other 57-trim and bolt it onto the manifold you have now, run it at low boost, and have a great, reliable street car.

turbosi03: I thought I was the only one, I put about 1000 miles on my car in the first week because it was so damn fun to drive. I've only had mine going for 2 weeks, the biggest problem for me is too many people want a ride, and then one blast at WOT and they're asking to go home
Old 07-01-2005, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Other factors to throw around...

I have a fully built Y8 head just waiting to be used. I also have an HF manifold that I can get an adapter plate from BMC to run the GT28. My crx is already converted over too OBD1 with Hondata, so the swap wouldn't be all that hard.

So really, going D series wouldn't be all that much work.
Old 07-01-2005, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say sell it. I have so much fun with my turbo D and for a street car it has such a fun powerband for daily driving. I would probably consider getting something better once your out of college, but being a broke college student myself I can't imagine dealing with the problems you've had with your B setup. If I had any b series other than maybe a ls motor blow on me i'd probably feel like shooting myself because of all that money down the drain. Heck if you mess up a d series block you don't even need to bother to rebuild. Just buy another block for $100 and toss it in
Old 07-01-2005, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bryson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Other factors to throw around...

I have a fully built Y8 head just waiting to be used. I also have an HF manifold that I can get an adapter plate from BMC to run the GT28. My crx is already converted over too OBD1 with Hondata, so the swap wouldn't be all that hard.

So really, going D series wouldn't be all that much work. </TD></TR></TABLE>

god i miss my head
Old 07-01-2005, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bryson, just think about it before you do it. I just finished my car today and I'm going for tuning next saturday. I've been waiting for 2 years to put everything together the way I wanted and I'm still not done. Just think about it twice

Quick Reply: ...Thinking about selling my motor/turbo setup...Need some insight...