Notices

is there a good guide as to what parts i should rebuld my motor with?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default is there a good guide as to what parts i should rebuld my motor with?

b16 just blew today so im going to rebuild it this winter. i dont have the time to search and get opinions on what people are running. i dont even know what parts i need to get. so if im going to do a complete rebuild i need some info.

rods,sleeves,pistons,rings, bearings...and for headwork. what will i need? just a bunch of new seals or should i also get valve springs and otther stuff...need to know. i dont want to spend alot. want good parts but not the most expensive
Old 09-25-2005, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: is there a good guide as to what parts i should rebuld my motor with? (the.hamburglar)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by the.hamburglar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">b16 just blew today so im going to rebuild it this winter. i dont have the time to search and get opinions on what people are running. i dont even know what parts i need to get. so if im going to do a complete rebuild i need some info.

rods,sleeves,pistons,rings, bearings...and for headwork. what will i need? just a bunch of new seals or should i also get valve springs and otther stuff...need to know. i dont want to spend alot. want good parts but not the most expensive</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well it really depends on what blew? I mean if you cracked a sleeve, then i would resleeve it and perhaps new pistons. Anyway, i would do it up w/ new bearings, seals, gaskets, and if your looking to buildup for some good hp, you may as well do headwork and further internals. Headwork i would suggest all Crower. I cant suggest bottom end, since i dont know what you plan on doing in the future. let us know!
Old 09-25-2005, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: is there a good guide as to what parts i should rebuld my motor with? (the.hamburglar)

Off the top of my head here are some brand names you can look into for your engine build:

HEAD:
valves - SuperTech, Rocket Motorsports, Ferrea
valvesprings - SuperTech, Rocket, Portflow
retainers - SuperTech

All that headwork is kinda optional. You can upgrade to those or just get an ITR valvetrain.

BLOCK:
sleeves - Benson, Golden Eagle, ERL (not sure who you should go with since you are in Canada)
pistons - CP, Wiseco
rods - Eagle, Manley, Pauter
bearings - OEM, ACL
headstuds - ARP headstuds
headgasket - OEM, Cometic MLS (not sure about this though)
oil pump and water pump - OEM

For the sleeves you can stick with stock sleeves if they are still good, just upgrade your internals. A lot of people who have been tuned by Jeff Evans of Evans-Tuning.com have made anywhere between 400-600 WHP on stock sleeves and upgraded internals.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is there a good guide as to what parts i should rebuld my motor with? (BlueShadow)

if the sleeves are ok, i could just buy stronger connecting rods, low compression pistons/rings like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...WD10V

keep the sleeves, replace the head gasket to another stock one and get arp head studs. the valve train is alright, i think anyways. but ill just leave it stock. with this setup i could probably boost 12psi safetly???? true?
Old 09-25-2005, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

honestly you need to stop being lazy and do the research on what works and what doesn't and what parts do what. it's your motor so i suggest u get involved in the building of it. there has to be about 100+ threads about people build-ups. your gonna need pistons, rods, headstuds, gasket set, waterpump, oil pump, maybe sleeves.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is there a good guide as to what parts i should rebuld my motor with? (flip1199)

isnt that what i said right above?
Old 09-25-2005, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by the.hamburglar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if the sleeves are ok, i could just buy stronger connecting rods, low compression pistons/rings like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...WD10V

keep the sleeves, replace the head gasket to another stock one and get arp head studs. the valve train is alright, i think anyways. but ill just leave it stock. with this setup i could probably boost 12psi safetly???? true?</TD></TR></TABLE>

IMO you shouldn't buy any parts until you've opened up the motor and inspected the block and head. Stop guessing as to what you think is bad and what isn't. If you are lucky then the cylinder walls aren't too badly damaged and they may just need to be honed. BUT you wont know what will need to be done until you have a competent engine builder look at it.

Assuming your stock sleeves are good, then with a set of pistons, rods you should be good for anywhere between 400-600 WHP. But that depends on the skill of the person tuning your car But if you are only pushing 12 psi on I think it was a T3/T04E turbo you had? then yah you should be fine with that kind of engine build.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is there a good guide as to what parts i should rebuld my motor with? (BlueShadow)

no i had a t3 60 trim. it seemed to work really good. it pulled really hard all the way to 8000. so i could leave my stock sleeves in and just buy pistons and rods and boost like 15psi with a large t3/t4. my stock valvetrain will be ok as well as the sleeves even when they are honed making them like 25/1000ths thinner? that kinda seems sketchy to me