Tapping noises from head

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tapping noises from head

Need suggestions.

Car started today, everything was fine.
Took the car out on the highway, boosted, then went back on the back roads.

When I was on the back roads, I noticed a noise coming out of my engine bay.
I parked the car and my friend was reving the engine while I was under the hood.

Slight tapping noises (seems like its coming from the head) between 2000-2800 rpm.
Car drives fine. It does not make the noise when I put a little more load on the motor. Also no smoke anywhere and when I boost again, it seems fine.

Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks

Old 07-02-2003, 05:08 PM
New User

Default Re: Tapping noises from head (FIxALPHA)

Valve adjustment?
Old 07-02-2003, 07:15 PM

mine was doing the same and all my valves were in spec. ????
Old 07-02-2003, 07:20 PM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FIxALPHA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Need suggestions.

Car started today, everything was fine.
Took the car out on the highway, boosted, then went back on the back roads.

When I was on the back roads, I noticed a noise coming out of my engine bay.
I parked the car and my friend was reving the engine while I was under the hood.

Slight tapping noises (seems like its coming from the head) between 2000-2800 rpm.
Car drives fine. It does not make the noise when I put a little more load on the motor. Also no smoke anywhere and when I boost again, it seems fine.

Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks

</TD></TR></TABLE>
What kind of injectors? Sometimes injectors can have a ticking sound somewhat like valve tap.
Old 07-02-2003, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tapping noises from head (Boostfed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boostfed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
What kind of injectors? Sometimes injectors can have a ticking sound somewhat like valve tap.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for your help.

I have 72lb MSD injectors.

Just took it out for a short drive and just got back.
Im going to do a valve adjustment tom. hopefully that helps.

Boostfrog,

How does your car drive? Did you always have that prob.
Old 07-02-2003, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've got the same noise too. adjusted my valves plenty of times and still there. I suspect it's my pistons...just a bit of piston slap and a little noise from the injectors and there you go. that's a little trade off of having a built motor and upgraded injectors i guess....
Old 07-03-2003, 03:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tapping noises from head (shermanyang)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shermanyang &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i've got the same noise too. adjusted my valves plenty of times and still there. I suspect it's my pistons...just a bit of piston slap and a little noise from the injectors and there you go. that's a little trade off of having a built motor and upgraded injectors i guess.... </TD></TR></TABLE>

I think you just answered my question. Thanks.

I have Arias Pistons. I heard they were notorious with piston slap. Im still going to check my valves after work.
Old 07-03-2003, 04:30 AM

I thought Arias pistons were more prone to piston slap when the engine was cold and just started. I would think the slap would go away after the car has been running. Were you not able to hear the ticking when the car was first started up?

As far as the injectors, I know my 450cc DSMs click pretty loud at idle. So it could be your injectors too.
Old 07-03-2003, 04:51 AM

Default Re: Tapping noises from head (maxim)

if your having piston slap guys, that's not good at all. what piston slap is when the piston is literally smacking the head itself. if you think that is the problem, you need to tear the motor down and redo it cause it's about to blow. fyi if you had real piston slap, you would know cause the motor woudl be "knocking" not tapping. so in essence stop calling tapping piston slap because you don't knowwhat the noise is.

now as far as the noise goes, try doing a vale adjustment. also what are your spark plugs gapped to? should be a max of .030 i usually run .028 on mione. also you shoudl be running a plug that is 2 steps colder than stock. what about your fuel? are you using the good quality named brand or some off the wall 7-11 crap?

finally tunning, who tuned the car? is it properly tunned?

all thsoe htings can come into play and cause a tapping noise in the motor. but again if you really had piston slap guys, your motor would be blowing up.

fyi, arias sucks hands down. go with endyn pistons next time. they work much better.
Old 07-03-2003, 06:08 AM
New User

Default Re: Tapping noises from head (oscarmayer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by oscarmayer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if your having piston slap guys, that's not good at all. what piston slap is when the piston is literally smacking the head itself. if you think that is the problem, you need to tear the motor down and redo it cause it's about to blow. fyi if you had real piston slap, you would know cause the motor woudl be "knocking" not tapping. so in essence stop calling tapping piston slap because you don't knowwhat the noise is.

now as far as the noise goes, try doing a vale adjustment. also what are your spark plugs gapped to? should be a max of .030 i usually run .028 on mione. also you shoudl be running a plug that is 2 steps colder than stock. what about your fuel? are you using the good quality named brand or some off the wall 7-11 crap?

finally tunning, who tuned the car? is it properly tunned?

all thsoe htings can come into play and cause a tapping noise in the motor. but again if you really had piston slap guys, your motor would be blowing up.

fyi, arias sucks hands down. go with endyn pistons next time. they work much better.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is not true at all! With forged pistons you will have piston slap becasue when cold the metal has not expanded yet and after warm up they should be quieter. Now if they always slap the same way and never quiet after warm up you may actually have loose piston to wall clearances.
Old 07-03-2003, 07:01 AM
HT's Biggest Loser

Hey paul, whats up.. Id say if you hear some noise from a cold start, then its definately your arias pistons. Id say if your hearing a high pitched ticking, it may be from your injectors, i have similiar injectors to yours, and they tick very loud, but you can stick your ear right up to them, and hear if its comin from them. if your JUST hearing the tick from the aformentioned RPM as stated above, and the tick goes away after that rpm, them im not to sure, hehe.. good luck paul......Ron
Old 07-03-2003, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've got endyne rollerwaves in my car and I have the exact same problem. The valves have been adjusted numerous times. The firs time we had the problem, we brought it to a local tuning shop (Sonic Boom) and they didn't know what the problem was exactly, so they tore the motor down and found a few minor things that we had done wrong (timing belt tensioner not installed correctly, etc) We brought them a completely different GS-R block, and the transferred everything from one to the other, and they made sure the motor was built correctly, and when we cranked it up, it still ticked. I suspect it has something to do with the pistons. I'm not saying endyne sucks, because I love the pistons, but I have the same problem with them aswell. We then installed new valves, valve springs, clips, retainers, everything, and the ticking is still there. I sure wish I knew what it was. It has baffled everyone that has taken a look at it.
Old 07-03-2003, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tapping noises from head (Type-GS-R-Turbo)

btw, I've taken the engine well passed 8 grand and it hasn't blown yet, so I doubt it is the pistons hitting the valves or the head, otherwise the pistons would be all over the freeway somewhere.
Old 07-03-2003, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It could be the small children trying to escape. You havne't been feeding them enough rice.
Old 07-03-2003, 10:09 AM

boosted, i think your incorrect, just because sometihng is forged doesn't mean it's going to make more noise. There are reasons it makes more noise. Some of them listed in my last posting and others not listed. Each case is different. what makes 1 car tick might not effect another. But calling it and chalking it up as "piston" slap is well no offence assenine. why? well as stated before piston slap is when the piston hits the top of the head. it would not be a "tapping" sou8nd but ratehr a knocking shound. that occuers whent he pistin pin hoel becoems out of round, the clearances of piston heigth to deck are not correct, or you spun a bearing and it's causing the crack to have more play thus allowing for more wobble.

if you think that it's because of "harder" wirst pins and such, your wrong. There shoudl not be play int he wristping and rod conenction or the pin to piston hole. whiel it is supposed to be floating and locked in to place with clips of some sorts, it sitll has tollerances. if your able to get any side to side or top to bottm wiggle on your pin from the piston or the rod, then they are not properly matched and the pistons shopld not be installed. Now that noise woudl be a tapping sound to start, but out of spec parts will turn in to a much harder knocking and later result into a failed engine.
Old 07-03-2003, 10:12 AM

Default Re: Tapping noises from head (Type-GS-R-Turbo)

(Type-GS-R-Turbo),

check your valve clearances not to piston but the intake to exhaust valve clearance. if you changed the timming on one of the cams and had not had it checked for clearances what coudl be happennning is the valves could be touching when the exhaust is closing and the intake is opening. I've seen it a couple of time and that would cause a loud tick noise from the head. zero out the cams (gears) and see if the noise goes away. if it does, that would have been the problem.
Old 07-03-2003, 11:39 AM
New User

oscarmeyer you sir are a WIENER! I said that piston slap occurs when the motor is cold before the metals expanded which causes the slap and stated if it keeps doing it after warm up then there may be a problem. Pistons with very low or zero silicon content tend to expand more than a cast piston and a high silicon forged piston like the SRPs. I wish I was an oscarmeyer wiener! I wish I was an oscarmeyer wiener! **whistle**whistle** BTW I am just poking fun before anyone get's their panties in a bunch.
Old 07-03-2003, 03:25 PM

naw no biggie i get that all the tine. one of the reasons i have yhad this name for 7 yrs now. on line. =o :D hey there is 1 thing cool. see i'm a ladies man. know why? cause they all wish they had an O-S-C-A-R-M-A-Y-E-R Weiner!! :D
Old 07-03-2003, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tapping noises from head (SIXTYdashONE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SIXTYdashONE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey paul, whats up.. Id say if you hear some noise from a cold start, then its definately your arias pistons. Id say if your hearing a high pitched ticking, it may be from your injectors, i have similiar injectors to yours, and they tick very loud, but you can stick your ear right up to them, and hear if its comin from them. if your JUST hearing the tick from the aformentioned RPM as stated above, and the tick goes away after that rpm, them im not to sure, hehe.. good luck paul......Ron</TD></TR></TABLE>

Whats up Ron.

Thanks for the advice guys. I think Im just going to take this motor apart.

Did valve adj., but it was all to spec.
The tapping noises was not bad as I thought. So I put race gas (purple) today and boosted on the highway.
When I got back the noise got worse.
I have the worst luck with built motors.

The first built motor I had 2 years ago went south, when the wrist pin lock on #2 came off. I put a stock block right after and ran no problems for two years.

I should just stick with stock motors, works best for me. 11.42 with a 2 year old stock motor...I really cant complain.

I guess Im not running this weekend.
Thanks again for all your help.
Old 07-03-2003, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Paul, also check the lost motion assemblies.... sometimes they colapse. they can cause valve train noise.... good luck. Jason
Old 07-03-2003, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tapping noises from head (littlebluecrx)

If the noise sounds exactly like loose valves but they are in perfect adjustment, in my case it is ALWAYS the wrist pins. I use Crower rods and the brass pin bushing wears out very quick.
Old 07-03-2003, 05:02 PM

Default Re: Tapping noises from head (earl)

hrmm interesting, that woudl be a first to hear they wear out fast.
Old 07-03-2003, 05:02 PM
HT's Biggest Loser

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FIxALPHA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I guess Im not running this weekend.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hehe, that makes 2 of us Paul, i just broke something, and it prolly wont be fixxed in 36 hours, grrr. I snapped the control arm bushing bolts. Im just a dumb polock
Old 07-03-2003, 05:05 PM

put a screwdirver on the injectors and you can "feel" them click if the click is the same time as the noise you hear thats most likely your problem
Old 07-03-2003, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I only get 20-25 passes on a set of rod bushings until I can hear them.

Quick Reply: Tapping noises from head